• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rebuilding Reloading Table

Cookieman8

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
West Virginia
Anybody use birch butcher block for a reloading table top? Found some at local home depot and thinking of using it for a flat, sturdy, heavy top. Pros, cons?

Reactions: tnc
This is what I use. They are great. Need to be sealed with mineral oil or a stain/sealer. If you leave them raw they get dirty real quick.

Reactions: Cookieman8
Used the exact same, from Home Depot....3 coats of poly, good to go!

I did put a few extra lag bolts into it from underneath when fastening it to the cabinets. I also made sure the cabinets were ROCK solid to the floor and wall.

ZY

How did everyone attach there block to the legs, frame? Thanks for poly advice btw. My current bench is uncoated and a bear to clean

I screwed 2x4 cleats to the cabinet framework and came up from underneath with decent sized lag bolts and big washers.

It is a 1” table and I put the lag bolts about 5/8” into it. Be sure to drill bolt holes in the cleats and pilot holes on the top. Certainly don't want it to crack….

ZY

How did everyone attach there block to the legs, frame? Thanks for poly advice btw. My current bench is uncoated and a bear to clean
I would just screw a 1x2 or 2x2 piece (you can round the edges or dress it if you choose) to the legs at the top going from front to back on the right and left side. If you can run the same across the front and back do that too.

Then pre-drill through them and use a good GRK type screw from the bottom and screw into the bottom of the butcher block top. I'd do 3 or 4 screws on each side. That will be more than enough to hold the top forever and it's easier than using lags. A good GRK structural screw has a lot of holding power and a big head which gives it the ability to pull the top together tightly with your runners. If it's for sure permanent, you can use wood glue but I wouldn't do that unless you are absolutely sure it's there forever, and you might want to replace just the top one day so the. GRK screws are the best thing to do imo.

Would it be possible and safe to pre drill and countersink screws from the top of the butcher block down into the framing with the GRK screws? Use some plugs and glue to cover the screw heads then sand flush?

Would it be possible and safe to pre drill and countersink screws from the top of the butcher block down into the framing with the GRK screws? Use some plugs and glue to cover the screw heads then sand flush?
You could do that sure, but of course it would be harder to undo if you ever needed to vs having runners underneath and screwing into the underside of the top.

As others have said, 3 coats of wipe on poly, and it works great. Consider drilling out a couple holes and adding some recessed power grommets.

I'm using one as well. My bench is small so I got one 4' wide. It's installed with hinges as I use the area underneath for storing miscellaneous crap. I haven't sealed it yet, guess I need to get on that.

Mike

Personally I would use boiled linseed oil with a top coat of butchers wax. Do both sides the same to stabilize it for the long haul.

When you attach it to your bench, screw a center screw then for the remaining screws across the width, slot the holes on the skirt or whatever you are attaching to and use washers. This will allow expansion and contraction so it won't split.

I built both of these using the above finish. It is very durable
53ABFA23-AB92-459D-AD55-1A4F2B8A6079.jpeg80FCF196-EA0F-4438-B06C-10791343E15A.jpeg

Last edited:
I used Rubio mono coat on my birch top, it has held up great and was super easy to apply.