• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Rec on modest priced electronic coyote call

Baron23

Check 6
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 19, 2020
    Maryland
    TLDR: is there a modestly priced ($200 max) predator call (coyote) that is actually effective and worth a damn?

Hi guys - my gun club buddy is 87, has permission to hunt a couple of farms here in Maryland for deer , and we won't let him go out by himself. So for the last couple of years me and another fella would go out with him.

He and the caretaker are under the impression that coyotes are devastating the fawns and they want to hunt them. Another buddy has a Steiner thermal on a 300 blackout and is willing to go out at night to try to hunt with our much older friend. None of us have any experience coyote hunting and though I know that there are supposed to be coyotes all around in my area, I have yet to see one.

So, the old guy wants to buy an electronic predator call and he has a $200 budget (yeah, not a lot).

Is there a modestly priced ($200 max) predator call (coyote) that is actually effective and worth a damn?

If not, what do you think is a relatively inexpensive call that is effective and not a waste of money.

Thanks

Last edited:
    Reactions: 338dude
    Foxpro inferno is a good option around $200. It comes with a decent selection of sounds and has enough volume to cast especially for how small the speaker is. We’ve killed a lot of yotes over one 👍
    Appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thank you so very much.

Question...do the buttons on the remote light up. I've been told no...which would be a bit inconvenient when hunting at night. I see it has a lit screen, but how about the buttons.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
    Reactions: 338dude
    The buttons do not light up but the arrows and center select button are pretty big and raised. Also the interface is pretty basic so once you get into the coyote sounds sequence it’s easy to scroll through the sounds wearing light gloves.

You bet man good hunting and post some success pics!

Reactions: Baron23
    See if you can find a fox pro fusion on sale somewhere. It’s more a $400 call but I’ve seen them on sale in the mid $200 range. A touch over you budget but a fantastic call for the money.

See if you can find a fox pro fusion on sale somewhere. It’s more a $400 call but I’ve seen them on sale in the mid $200 range. A touch over you budget but a fantastic call for the money.
    Thank you. I’ll look around.

a call that would attract any predictor as it sounds like a dying animal

a call that would attract any predictor as it sounds like a dying animal

Wow, you aren’t kidding about dying animal. I think of all the vanity song recordings…think William Shatner and the like….this is the worst. He even sings worse than me…which is awful! Lol.

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: acudaowner
    Find out what the most people in your area use, and get something else.
    Easiest way to do that is learn how to use a mouth call. 99% don’t have that skill and wear out there local areas with the ecalls like you alluded to! Cheap ecalls from Walmart make a lot of guys think there a predator hunter.

Reactions: Charlie112
    Find out what the most people in your area use, and get something else.
    A friend of mine has a high end FoxPro we can use. As for burning the 'yotes with lousy calling...I live in Maryland and there ain't a lot of predator hunting in the areas we hunt in.

And frankly, this is all just an exercise for gun club buddy who is 88 now and wants to shoot coyotes on a farm he has permission to white tail hunt. I'll get this call for him to use. Another friend has a 300 BO with thermals and will take the older gentleman out. I don't expect that they will even see a coyote.

Cheers

Used my iPhone this past weekend in a pinch. Call was in my backpack and the coyote was 300 yards away in a field and moving away from me. "Cottontail distress" youtube video brought him running back in. That has worked a few times for me when the dogs are within a few hundred yards.

Reactions: Baron23