• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recap of the URSA NorCal Mar ‘21 event

ELR researcher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2011
www.elr-resources.com
Recap of the URSA NorCal Mar ‘21 event (by RD, Lynn Dragoman; build info, comments, and stats from Oscar)

Shooters, we had 11 guns on the line this last Sunday. We didn't get any new qualifiers for the 3K but we did put a lot of shots downrange trying. We ended up with 6 shooters qualifying for the record target.

New shooter Shawn used my 375 CheyTac to get in the match. He and Calguns regular RickyRacer87 both got 3 hits at 2054 yards. We will hold a sudden death shoot-off between Shawn and RickyRacer87 in May.

RickyRacer87 had 6 hits during his 10-shot qualification string, so he also got another achievement point, his third.

We held a fun shoot for everyone after the match and Calguns’ gunsmith extraordinaire Skkeeter (Billy Goat Machine) took top honors with 4 hits out of 10 shots (no sighters or practice shots allowed for any shooter). Nice shooting Skkeeter!!!

Next month is the 3K where we will start shooting at 2500 yards. Hopefully the snow, rain, and wind will cooperate?

Pics in the Gallery, again thanks to RickyRacer87!

RR87, was shooting 300 gr Hornady A-TIPs out of a Billy Goat Machine/BGM-built .338 LM AI (Ackley Improved) with BGM “OVIS” (Defiance Deviant Tactical) action, Bartlein 31.5” barrel, Manners T5A stock, Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56 SFP scope, and ERATAC 0-70 MOA adjustable base/rings.

Winds were tricky that day. I had a 2nd round hit in practice at 2050, then went 0 for 7 in qualifying so I couldn't compete in the match. Then I won the fun shoot with 4 hits after everyone did miserable in the match. Somedays its like pissing in the wind.

Winds were tricky that day. I had a 2nd round hit in practice at 2050, then went 0 for 7 in qualifying so I couldn't compete in the match. Then I won the fun shoot with 4 hits after everyone did miserable in the match. Somedays its like pissing in the wind.
The wind did make for an interesting event. It definitely made things tough to get a hit, changinging directions and starting and stopping from shot to shot. As always it was still a good time to be had. Always fun meeting new shooters and trying to get everyone to get hits at over 2000 yards. I'm looking forward to seeing how things go in April at the 3K match but being a realist I'm not so sure things will go as well as normal... Looking forward to a good time no matter how things end up.

Thanks Lynn and Oscar for all that you guys do to put on an awesome event.

Is spotting misses out there doable? Or does the terrain eat up misses

Sounds like going to be my first time shooting the nocal match, and bringing a friend for his first time shooting an ELR match.

Is spotting misses out there doable? Or does the terrain eat up misses
Depends.

When it was dry enough, I've gotten 6' plumes from a 6XC. When there is just the right amount of moisture, it turns to playdough that swallows 800 grain solids without blinking. It should be somewhere in the middle, maybe towards the 6XC, in mid April. The COF faces nearly due east. For a couple hours after dawn, you'll be shooting into the sun with the target and berm in a pretty dark shadow. Fortune favors good optics.

The bank behind the target is steep and soft. It doesn't give feedback as reliably as below the target. You've shot their target before and realize that at 125# and no repainting the light gives you hits, but you don't get much on where. I haven't shot a match up there since the fire, but one tactic I used If the berm was giving feedback was putting my spotter shots in the berm below the target to get higher resolution POI.

The DA is ~4K and it's on a ridgeline above Clear Lake. It's a great place to be in the morning. Kind of a redneck Lake Tahoe.

NorCal URSA Range.jpg

The target is at the arrow to the left, the 2K shooting position is on the right. This picture is before what at the time was the largest fire ever in California. Fewer trees now and less grass, more star thistle. Bring the tools to cut a flat shooting spot.