• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recce type scopes?

diderr

The Patch Guy
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2013
Gillette, Wyoming
datapatches.com
Bought a basic b*tch ar I’m going to slowly turn into a recce type rifle. What’s some good options for glass? Looking at a nx8 1-8 or scopes similar to that. I’d like to have an external adjustable elevation turret for extended range shots. This gun will be used for life, liberty, deer, and coyotes.

Attachments

• 52C9857C-8A50-4FB3-9591-AD40C4FECCFA.jpeg
    52C9857C-8A50-4FB3-9591-AD40C4FECCFA.jpeg
    679.7 KB · Views: 331
Reactions: rottenruger
Nx8 1-8 is a great choice. I had one for a while and finally got the atacr 1-8 so the nx8 is for sale.

Honestly I prefer the size of the nx8 but like the new reticle in the atacr for competitions so that’s why I went that direction.

Reactions: diderr
Nx8 1-8 is a great choice. I had one for a while and finally got the atacr 1-8 so the nx8 is for sale.

Honestly I prefer the size of the nx8 but like the new reticle in the atacr for competitions so that’s why I went that direction.
The ATACR reticle is now (or will soon be) available in the NX8.

The ATACR reticle is now (or will soon be) available in the NX8.
Yep, but it wasn’t when I ordered the atacr a year ago…. I do have the new one on order but who knows how long it will take to get here.

Reactions: diderr and Naaman
I'm not a big fan LPVO because even a 16" RECCE rifle shooting 77SMKs has the capability to reach out so I went with a Leupold MK5 3.6-18 for mine and couldn't be happier, it sets itself apartment because of it light weight at 26oz and a length of 12" compared to the 1-8 ATACR at 21oz and 10"/ or the more closely comparable 4-16 ATACR at 30oz and 12.6"

original_7579b84b-b18e-4d18-86b3-648d635e0346_IMG_20210705_092229053~2.jpg

I'm not a big fan LPVO because even a 16" RECCE rifle shooting 77SMKs has the capability to reach out so I went with a Leupold MK5 3.6-18 for mine and couldn't be happier, it sets itself apartment because of it light weight at 26oz and a length of 12" compared to the 1-8 ATACR at 21oz and 10"/ or the more closely comparable 4-16 ATACR at 30oz and 12.6"

View attachment 7867491
Keymod. How cute 🤣

Reactions: Dirtysouth
@diderr
The March Shorty 1-10x24 is only 17.8 ounces, and 8.4 inches long, so it would be great for a recce rifle. It has a parallax adjustment knob, and the turrets could easily be used with the turret caps removed, if you plan to dial for elevation. Here's a used one:
https://www.rkbarmory.com/product/march-f-shorty-1-10x24/

Bought a basic b*tch ar I’m going to slowly turn into a recce type rifle. What’s some good options for glass? Looking at a nx8 1-8 or scopes similar to that. I’d like to have an external adjustable elevation turret for extended range shots. This gun will be used for life, liberty, deer, and coyotes.

You'll probably sell it and start looking for a 3-15 especially if you shoot from a bench or a blind/coyotes are 300-400 yards out etc. For something that will never go past 200 yards a red dot is great.

Reactions: TikkaVortexFan
Reactions: RKBArmory
Accuracy International still uses Keymod so it does the job, but thanks for the astute observation fuckface.. lol
Accuracy International uses their proprietary KeySlot system, it’s not KeyMod and not compatible with KeyMod accessories. On the surface they look similar but it’s totally different geometry on the backside.

OP the NX8 1-8x is a great optic and especially light. Another good option at a similar price point is the EOTech Vudu 1-10x, if you’re a fan of the 65MOA ring at low power. But the thing with LPVOs I’ve found personally is that they’re really best when doing most of your shooting inside of 100m with the occasional 200-300m shot.

If however you find that you’re shooting mostly beyond 200m with the occasional inside of 100m shot like I was, then it’s better in the long run to go with something like a 3-18x combined with an offset/canted RDS. Once I made that switch it was a game changer for me. Of course, your mileage may vary. If you have the luxury, try both.

Reactions: TikkaVortexFan
Looks like a pretty capable rifle already, OP.

I know you specified external elevation turret, but an ACOG works fairly well, is quick, and lighter than an LPVO.

1-8 is what I've got and no regrets. I didn't have the $ to spend and didn't want to wait so I went with the Brownells MPO 1-8. It's been good considering the compromises I knew I was making (weight, illumination brightness and plain reticle). Steel at 500+ is not an issue.

If you choose to go thermal / I2 clipon in the future (life, liberty and all) then you'll have options to use a lot more units that play nice with the 1-8 or 1-10's. I personally reserve the 3-18 for the AR10's or longer barreled AR15's

Oh and keymod or picatinny for 4 lyfe

Yeah, in that it's a modular attachment system but I think it's apple's and oranges after that. That being said, I run KM rails still too and haven't had anything fall or get ripped off the gun so I haven't felt the need to make a lateral shift to ML.

Either have I, that 6:00 pic rail attachment hasn't moved since I bought it in 2017 and I actually prefer key mod because it doesn't decrease the inner diameter of the handguard because it has a countersink nut design. Mlok however does.

Reactions: rpoL98
What buttstock is that?

Reactions: Maxwell
Either have I, that 6:00 pic rail attachment hasn't moved since I bought it in 2017 and I actually prefer key mod because it doesn't decrease the inner diameter of the handguard because it has a countersink nut design. Mlok however does.
I hear you, on the one gun that does have ML I need to be cognizant of where I'm putting an accessory, otherwise it will hit the gas block. A dab of blue on the KM screws and 30 in/lbs (metal rails to metal handguard) and I've never had problems.

Reactions: rpoL98
I have ran a Leupold MRT 1.5-5 in Iraq (works great, illumination is weak but a very functional optic), Steiner M8xi 1-8 (illumination is weak, very forgiving eye box and the glass is nice and clear). I have a few other cheaper Leupolds on some other stuff that are functional. They are more than capable for 300 yards.

If I buy another LPVO I would probably try out a NF ATACR. There are some good threads in the optics section on LPVO's that would be worth looking at.

V/R

"Here's a flashiest of flash sales for you, Razor Gen III 1-10x, no tax, no shipping, best price of the year and probably in the country. Sale ends tomorrow early morning. Enjoy!"

Capped turrets but if you are looking for a fucking smoking deal and have patience. Put it in your cart to see the final price.

Recce is a use, not a model, so use an optic to fit the role you intend it for.....
We'd be so much further ahead if that word never became mainstream.

Sniper is a person/training/use case, but the term “sniper rifle” (while sometimes misused) is still a useful and descriptive term. It distinguishes itself from “comp” guns in that most soldiers aren’t going to strap ridiculous extra weights onto their gun because they actually have to carry them. The scope will probably be overbuilt (unlike a benchrest scope). It will probably have a bipod, since it won’t be nestled into a lead sled. A certain range of calibers is implied. We can make reasonable assumptions about the adjustments and the reticle (probably not a duplex), Etc.

“3 gun” is an activity, but “3 gun AR” is a useful descriptive term. It tells us that longer barrels, flashy colors, muzzle breaks, and other things are allowed in the build, whereas most people wouldn’t use those features for a serious use AR. It also tells us that “upgrades” that give time advantages are acceptable even if they slightly harm reliability… there is no other category in which this is generally accepted as a reasonable trade off.

Home defense is an action, but “home defense AR” is still a descriptive term that tells us you’re building a close range gun, probably very simple, and probably equipped with a red dot and white light. We probably know not to advise bipods and high magnification scopes to a guy wanting a HD AR.

Concealed carry is an activity, but saying you’re looking for a concealed carry gun still helps us know that our favorite S and W 500 magnum with 12” barrel probably isn’t the best recommendation.

Recce: All the same concepts apply.

A Recce AR is built to be significantly more accurate/precise than most ARs. (This is the prime distinction between Recce and “do all” or “general purpose”)

It will need some type of magnified optic to do this. It also needs to be capable up close, so high magnification scopes are out unless accompanied by a red dot. This leads most to LPVOs or red dots with magnificatiers.

It will need a premium barrel (unless you get lucky with a unicorn production barrel). If it’s a free floated AR without an upgraded barrel, we’re talking about a general purpose AR, not a recce.

Etc, etc, etc.

I’ve seen the term “recce” bother a few people recently and it always makes me shake my head. Those people are ALL guilty of using at least some of the other terms.

Last edited:
I have really enjoyed the ATACR 4-16 with the Mil-XT reticle on this rifle. The rifle it sits on is intended for 100yds to 800yds primarily (mainly 200yds plus if I’m not shooting groups on paper). This makes me willing to accept the increased weight and form factor. This rifle is not enjoyable to shoot offhand because of the weight. Doable, but not fun. I like the 4-16 ATACR so much that I put one on my SCAR, and intend to buy another for my Mk12 as well.

My new Geissele Super Booty 16” is my more “general purpose rifle” that I intend to shoot offhand primarily, at ranges from basically 25yds out to 500yds plus? Maybe more? So it has an ATACR 1-8 on it. I chose it over the NX8 because of some mentioning that the eyebox is somewhat sensitive. I cannot confirm that though, as I have not used one.
190CE09C-CE61-48F6-80D5-E25088861B2A.jpeg

My 14.7" Recce was built to split the difference between my 11.5" and 18" ARs, so I was initially leaning towards an LPVO. However, I had a 3-9x Leupold VX-R Patrol that wasn't seeing much use on a heavier gun, so I decided to mount it to the 14.7". I kitted it out with a piggybacked Holosun RDS that hadn't yet found its permanent home either. I've only just started to break it in, but so far the combo feels quick and effective for a gun intended to be used in the field from various positions,: off-hand, shooting sticks, tripod / bipod, etc... While I'm not playing with a Nightforce budget, a lightweight mid-power optic plus RDS feels like a winning combination for my purposes.

I have really enjoyed the ATACR 4-16 with the Mil-XT reticle on this rifle. The rifle it sits on is intended for 100yds to 800yds primarily (mainly 200yds plus if I’m not shooting groups on paper). This makes me willing to accept the increased weight and form factor. This rifle is not enjoyable to shoot offhand because of the weight. Doable, but not fun. I like the 4-16 ATACR so much that I put one on my SCAR, and intend to buy another for my Mk12 as well.

My new Geissele Super Booty 16” is my more “general purpose rifle” that I intend to shoot offhand primarily, at ranges from basically 25yds out to 500yds plus? Maybe more? So it has an ATACR 1-8 on it. I chose it over the NX8 because of some mentioning that the eyebox is somewhat sensitive. I cannot confirm that though, as I have not used one.
View attachment 7867721
Rockin' the RIS II on that girl! What upper is it?

I have a friend who bought the Eotech VUDU in 5x25 with the Tremor3 reticle and less than 30 ounces. Same feedback as you, he absolutely loves it on his 16" AR.

I built it:

- LMT Flat Top Upper
- CLE Krieger 15.1” NSW Recce w/matched Bolt
- RIS II that I had to run through the bandsaw to make room for the can
- LMT Enhanced Carrier
- Badger Mk12 Gas Block
- PRI CH
Very cool. I've often wondered why there aren't more 15-inch barrels on the market, rather than using extended flash hiders. Is the NSW a special profile like a socom or something?

The Vortex Strike Eagle BDC Scope is very good! And it can take you out to 500-600 yards if you're steady and your barrel is good. And the BDC Bullet Drop Compensator reticle lets you avoid frequent adjustments to the reticles if you're a hunter/plinker/self defender on the go.

Reactions: diderr
Very cool. I've often wondered why there aren't more 15-inch barrels on the market, rather than using extended flash hiders. Is the NSW a special profile like a socom or something?
I believe noveske made them for the seals some time ago, profiled for the ops inc can. There’s a massive thread on them over at ar15.com.

Reactions: Naaman
I built it:

- LMT Flat Top Upper
- CLE Krieger 15.1” NSW Recce w/matched Bolt
- RIS II that I had to run through the bandsaw to make room for the can
- LMT Enhanced Carrier
- Badger Mk12 Gas Block
- PRI CH
CLE is the way to go! I got one of their barrels on a Douglas for a mk12 clone and the gun shot lights out. If I fully commit recce on this gun it will get a CLE Bartlein or Kreiger

Reactions: Desert_Racer
I've often wondered why there aren't more 15-inch barrels on the market,
Because 14.5" is an industry standard and companies have no reason to buck a trend with lots of inertia for no real gain.
I've got a 15", but only because one company thought it was the shortest they could comfortably go with intermediate gas. It didn't sell well and was discontinued quickly.

Reactions: rpoL98 and Naaman
Here's my hunting AR. 14.5" 300BO pushing 110gr Barnes TAC TX at 2500fps. The Athlon 1-10x is surprisingly competency as a longer range scope. It is NOT the best 1x close range scope but I think it's a great hunting scope. Especially for $700. This combo will throw down better groups than I see on zero targets at club PRS matches.i consider 10x pretty adequate since I'll shoot a match out to 1100yds and my ATACR 7x35 pretty much stays on 10x to 12x for 90% of the day.

View attachment 7867982

Where did you find that Athlon 1-10 for 700$ ? Is that the Ares ETR ? I'm considering selling my VX6HD 1-6 with the mil turrets to buy one.

I think I got some discounts. Does it currently retail for more?
It's like a 950$USD at the usual places and 1250$CAD at my local Athlon dealer. I understand you can call some dealers in the USA and get below msrp but not in Canada.

Surprised not more love for the Vortex Gen3 1-10x. I've tried several LPVOs for my 16-inch AR-15 and settled on the Vortex for its combination of magnification, reticle, brightness, and weight. If you want lower magnification and price, the Steiner P4Xi 1-4 is hard to beat.

Reactions: drewthebrave
Surprised not more love for the Vortex Gen3 1-10x. I've tried several LPVOs for my 16-inch AR-15 and settled on the Vortex for its combination of magnification, reticle, brightness, and weight. If you want lower magnification and price, the Steiner P4Xi 1-4 is hard to beat.
I have the 1-10 and the nx8 1-8. The 1-10 rocks. Just rocks. The size/weight of the 1-8 has its place though for when you don’t want a gun to pop up into the next weight bracket.

I run a trijicon accupower 1-8. Not the most popular option, but I got it for a deal from a good buddy. Zero complaints thus far.

I run a trijicon accupower 1-8. Not the most popular option, but I got it for a deal from a good buddy. Zero complaints thus far.
I had that LPVO for awhile, actually liked the thicker reticle. Wasn't the best for shooting groups but worked well enough for banging steel.

The Credo was a definite improvement over the Accupower.

I had that LPVO for awhile, actually liked the thicker reticle. Wasn't the best for shooting groups but worked well enough for banging steel.
Had the same complaint. But when I use the rifle, I know it won’t be on paper LOL

Sniper is a person/training/use case, but the term “sniper rifle” (while sometimes misused) is still a useful and descriptive term. It distinguishes itself from “comp” guns in that most soldiers aren’t going to strap ridiculous extra weights onto their gun because they actually have to carry them. The scope will probably be overbuilt (unlike a benchrest scope). It will probably have a bipod, since it won’t be nestled into a lead sled. A certain range of calibers is implied. We can make reasonable assumptions about the adjustments and the reticle (probably not a duplex), Etc.

“3 gun” is an activity, but “3 gun AR” is a useful descriptive term. It tells us that longer barrels, flashy colors, muzzle breaks, and other things are allowed in the build, whereas most people wouldn’t use those features for a serious use AR. It also tells us that “upgrades” that give time advantages are acceptable even if they slightly harm reliability… there is no other category in which this is generally accepted as a reasonable trade off.

Home defense is an action, but “home defense AR” is still a descriptive term that tells us you’re building a close range gun, probably very simple, and probably equipped with a red dot and white light. We probably know not to advise bipods and high magnification scopes to a guy wanting a HD AR.

Concealed carry is an activity, but saying you’re looking for a concealed carry gun still helps us know that our favorite S and W 500 magnum with 12” barrel probably isn’t the best recommendation.

Recce: All the same concepts apply.

A Recce AR is built to be significantly more accurate/precise than most ARs. (This is the prime distinction between Recce and “do all” or “general purpose”)

It will need some type of magnified optic to do this. It also needs to be capable up close, so high magnification scopes are out unless accompanied by a red dot. This leads most to LPVOs or red dots with magnificatiers.

It will need a premium barrel (unless you get lucky with a unicorn production barrel). If it’s a free floated AR without an upgraded barrel, we’re talking about a general purpose AR, not a recce.

Etc, etc, etc.

I’ve seen the term “recce” bother a few people recently and it always makes me shake my head. Those people are ALL guilty of using at least some of the other terms.
Youd have a point if all "recce" situations were approximately the same, i.e. 3 gun comps are all approximately the same. Home defense is going to be approximately the same. CC is approximately the same. (Anyone who uses the term "sniper rifle" is just wrong.)
Reconnaissance in the pacific northwest differs greatly from reconnaissance in Afghanistan. "Recce" is situation dependent. There is no "one size". (and using the wrong terminology in one situation is not justification for using incorrect terminology in another).