• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reccomend a good LPVO for my Dissapator

Coyotejunki

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Trying to cut weight on an AR15, 223 build for hunting. Thinking a 1-6 or 1-8x scope. Would really like to keep it under $600, maybe closer to $400. Been looking at a few Athlons, what do you all suggest?

More info hoss. Are you looking for a primarily 1x optic with the option of magnification or is it a 6/8x first with 1x if needed? What do you consider light? Red dot guys think anything over 16oz is a pig while people like me just assume an LPVO will be 23oz and anything lighter is a bonus. How important is illumination brightness to you, because that'll really affect the viability of your budget.

Trying to cut weight on an AR15, 223 build for hunting. Thinking a 1-6 or 1-8x scope. Would really like to keep it under $600, maybe closer to $400. Been looking at a few Athlons, what do you all suggest?
burris mtac or rt6 will get you a true 1x with a great eyebox. I think the rt6 is the lightest of the lpvo. punches way way above the pricepoint.

I use these for pig hunting and both work great

More info hoss. Are you looking for a primarily 1x optic with the option of magnification or is it a 6/8x first with 1x if needed? What do you consider light? Red dot guys think anything over 16oz is a pig while people like me just assume an LPVO will be 23oz and anything lighter is a bonus. How important is illumination brightness to you, because that'll really affect the viability of your budget.
TTT, I was hoping to stay in the range of 1-6 or 8 Power, maybe even a 10X. 23 oz or lighter is better, IMO. Not too concerned with Illum brightness as long as I can see the retical without Illumination. In the low light times low power Illum will work. Won't use for night hunting.

TTT, I was hoping to stay in the range of 1-6 or 8 Power, maybe even a 10X. 23 oz or lighter is better, IMO. Not too concerned with Illum brightness as long as I can see the retical without Illumination. In the low light times low power Illum will work. Won't use for night hunting.
1-6x is optimal due to eye relief, eyebox and clarity/fov and light transmission given the small objective. think about looking through a 4x acog that looks more clear 'closer' vs a se 1-8 etc.

In that price range the RT6 is pretty freaking good. The 1-8x FFP Strike Eagle is way better than the SFP turds also, although the image isn't super flat.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
The PST is a great scope from 0-300 yards. Beyond that the reticle really lets it down. I've had mine 3 times that far but it's a shitshow unless you're dialing, which is also not its strong suit.

The PST is a great scope from 0-300 yards. Beyond that the reticle really lets it down. I've had mine 3 times that far but it's a shitshow unless you're dialing, which is also not its strong suit.
agree, I actually sold the two I had after trying the rt6 and now I use those. If I'm going up in price, then credo to razor. Nothing else compares pound for pound in the ring along those lines imho

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
SWFA 3-9 is a cheaper option that has adequate glass and not too heavy. I recently looked at several of the cheaper 1-X scopes and got the primary arms for a plinker rifle. They are all made in china except the burris which is marked phillipines.

The new PA Nova 1-6 looks to be a great option that will compete with the Viper. Not designed for precision at long range but more of the all-around option.

The new PA Nova 1-6 looks to be a great option that will compete with the Viper. Not designed for precision at long range but more of the all-around option.
Agreed. If the illumination is as bright as they claim I'll probably end up with one. Reticle is way better than the PST.

Reactions: BCP and Bluedog82
I have a Delta Stryker 1-6 and the illumination is daylight bright. Its also made in Japan. I've seen a few on the used market in your price range.
20230121_160428.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: drewthebrave