• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Receiver coating

Wile_Coyote

None
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2018
    Florida
    www.none.com
    Thought I'd ask for opinions and expertise here because mine with bolt rifles is limited. Last bolt action I had was a factory Browning. I know I'm probably crazy, but now I'd like to have a custom.

I have a McMillan action that is new and just the blasted finish. All I've been doing is looking for the barrel, trigger, stock or chassis, etc... that I may want to use. I've also looked at finishes because I'd prefer black. In looking to do a possible project with it, I've done some looking around.

From McMillan, the receivers (and barrels) are usually listed as cerakoted (some articles state duracoat) with the bolts being NP3. I was thinking/wondering if having the receiver coated with DLC and the bolt NP3 would be a way to go. That or having the receiver and bolt both done in DLC.

Anyone done something similar and has knowledge and/or wisdom they'd care to share? Thanks in advance.

I had my receiver and bolt Ion Bonded. Super nice finish and indestructible. Check them out (ionbond.com).