• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Receiver question

Buckoman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2008
Hatfield, Pa
I bought a Surgeon RSR and would like to swap off the barrel of my Remington 700 260 and put it on the Surgeon. The Remington Receiver was mapped and trued. I know that if I try to put a factory bolt in it wont' close so its a tight fit. I just don't have enough money for a new barrel install and was wondering if an easy swap is possible without major gunsmithing.

cheers,

Re: Receiver question

No since your barrel was threaded for a Rem 700 and now you have a Surgeon it wont fit safely....only way to make it work is to have it rethreaded and chambered for your Surgeon.

Both Rem.700 and Sureon RSR are 1.062 @ 16 T.P.I., so technically it can be done. I take it by the action has been "Mapped & Trued" you already had a barrel job done and now you have a new action and want to move it over and continue to shoot until you can save for a new barrel for the Surgeon? What your gunsmith could do is pull the barrel and measure the tenon length of the Rem. and the RSR, hopefully with the RSR being longer with the addition of the recoil lug, he could then face off the shoulder of the barrel that the lug goes against to restore headspace. This is not the best solution at all, just a way to swap barrels with the same tenon diameter & thread. There are problems that can arise, only you can determine if the risks out weighs the savings.

jaclthr

Master Blaster

It can be done but it needs to be done by a competent gunsmith!
And no, major gunsmithing is required. You are talking about a custom action with very close tolerances. The mating of the barrel will require holding to very close tolerances also.

The only savings will be the actual cost of a new barrel and maybe $50 to $75 in labor because some of the machine work is already done.

Hope this helped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a Surgeon RSR and would like to swap off the barrel of my Remington 700 260 and put it on the Surgeon. The Remington Receiver was mapped and trued. I know that if I try to put a factory bolt in it wont' close so its a tight fit. I just don't have enough money for a new barrel install and was wondering if an easy swap is possible without major gunsmithing.

cheers,
</div></div>

If your action was "mapped and trued" as you say, the take-off barrel may or may not fit. In the "true" sense, if the action threads were re-cut as part of the "trueing", they are now larger that the standard 1.062 x 16 threads. The barrel threads would have to be cut down to fit. You would also have to check headspace and also bolt clearance.

Why am I only a Lance Corporal, I have been doing this full time for 33 years?

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gundoktr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Why am I only a Lance Corporal, I have been doing this full time for 33 years?

Jim </div></div>

They're auto-assigned based upon how many posts you have. You can update your title manually under "My Stuff" --> "Edit Profile"

I'm not a CWO or Sgt. of any sort, never was, the forum just assigns that.