• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rechambering/rebarreling older rifle

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
Years back, I built a “precision rifle” chambered in .243win. My goal was to build the rifle to eventually be rebarreled , but I wanted to shoot long range varmints with it for the time being. Now it’s time for a new barrel.....

as the rifle sits now:
-REM 700 .243 barreled action
-McCree precision G5 chassis
-Timney trigger
-Seekins precision 20 moa rail and low rings
-Leupold MK4 ERT (FFP) 6.5-20x50 w/ M5 turrets (30mm tube), TMR reticle

I live in NJ, and probably realistically will never get past 600-700 yds with this rifle. I’m debating between a 20” .308 or 24” 6.5 creed.

rifle will mostly be used for target shooting, and may come to work with me (LEO).

what are your thoughts?

I’d like to stay between 20-24” regardless. Open to any suggestions.

I realize living in NJ, I probably won’t ever see 800Yds +. So I kind of think a shorter barrel may be more beneficial for my circumstance

Any possibility to rechamber the existing barrel to 6cm? 6cm is like 6.5cm w less recoil to me.

I feel like a 308 will get me to where I gotta go, but I know the 6.5 is a “better” choice if I’m gonna rebarrel.

going with a shorter barrel, the 308 does speak to me a little more though

and may come to work with me (LEO).

What does your department have to say about it?

Do they care if you use a personal rifle for duty? I assume you already got the OK but figured I'd ask.

Do they have any policies regarding caliber and/or barrel length?

Reactions: Supersubes
Small department, they are open to anything

I'd go with a barrel somewhere between 16 and 18 inches with a good brake.

This one (mine) has a 17" 308 barrel and the brake adds another 2.5". Super handy and still capable to hit torso sized targets at 1000 yards without undue difficulty.

Howa 1500 308 17".jpg

Will your dept buy ammo?

The 6.5 Creedmoor's ballistics advantage over the 308 is not that great inside 600 yards and narrows even more as the barrel is shortened and MV is lost.

However, the Creed's recoil advantage is always the same.

I feel like a 308 will get me to where I gotta go, but I know the 6.5 is a “better” choice if I’m gonna rebarrel.

going with a shorter barrel, the 308 does speak to me a little more though
I think the 6.5 just murders the 308 in drop and drift, while being accompanied by 25% less recoil. Energy is another matter and at intermediate ranges the 308 wins. I’d still pick the 6.5 because it means i’ll miss less with a less than perfect wind call. There’s just no overcoming the 6.5’s bc advantage using bullets you’d likely shoot in a 308.
EB97132A-82CE-408A-8AC3-40289CB9470C.jpeg
28093C28-6771-47DC-B6AC-30862CDD5058.jpeg

I think the 6.5 just murders the 308 in drop and drift, while being accompanied by 25% less recoil. Energy is another matter and at intermediate ranges the 308 wins. I’d still pick the 6.5 because it means i’ll miss less with a less than perfect wind call. There’s just no overcoming the 6.5’s bc advantage using bullets you’d likely shoot in a 308.
View attachment 7549295View attachment 7549296

The difference looks dramatic if you miss a 10 mph wind shift.

Run that chart with a 2 - 3 mph wind, which is the kind of wind shift that is more realistic for a person to miss. Now let's see what kind of linear error that makes in relation to a realistic target size.

The difference looks dramatic if you miss a 10 mph wind shift.

Run that chart with a 2 - 3 mph wind, which is the kind of wind shift that is more realistic for a person to miss. Now let's see what kind of linear error that makes in relation to a realistic target size.
The number shrinks, but in all cases youre giving up the drop/drift advantage while being punished with more recoil. It will only equal more misses.

Is it fair to say we keep drifting back to the 308 out of nostalgia?

There’s lots of conceivable reasons to pick 308 over 6.5cm but I don’t think any of those reasons include any aspect of bullet performance.

If I’ve got a closet full of 308 ammo or components, or the department only allows 7.62 caliber rifles, etc. then it’s defensible.

Good shooters can do wonders w a short barrel 308. But if you have a blank slate why 308 over 6.5cm? I’m trying to learn.

I have a 308 and have considered changing it over to a 6.5cm a lot. Main reason is the ballistic advantage. I’d like to get into some competitions and it’s clearly a better round for that I believe.

Reactions: CNC-Dude
Barrels are disposables but the .308 will have something like four times the barrel life of the 6.5 and more energy and penetration on the target at the ranges you are shooting. At some point, the BC and SD advantages of the 6.5 will win out but I'm guessing beyond the range you will be shooting.

I vote 6.5 CM. Just trying to justify your user name.

Reactions: BuLLet
The energy advantage for 308 vs 6.5cm inside 600 yds is indisputable. But the question is whether the 6.5cm inside 600 has “insufficient” energy to the degree you need the slower heavier round to have reliable penetration and expansion at those ranges?

The argument is timeless and endless, but I’m old and have nothing better to do...

Reactions: mattr25
I have really been loving my 18" .308 with a good brake. And the way it smacks steel always puts a smile on my face. But honestly you can't go wrong with either...

Toss a coin. They all work at those ranges. Realistically most of us shoot at ranges where a 308 or 223 is all we need. I’m the same I’m like why do I have a booming 300WM when i rarely shoot past 500m. Haha it’s all wants not needs with us humans 🤣. My 16” 308 shoots 175gr Otms @2590fps. My 26” 6.5CM shoots 140eldms @2850fps. Out to 600m I have to dial an extra 1.3mils....bid deal. Obviously if wind is high its a different story. If the 6.5CM had a short barrel though it would be shooting a lighter bullet not much faster. Go with your heart! Dunno. 👍🏼

Only if you suck
Thats just it, doesnt matter if you suck or are the greatest shot on earth. Either of those shooters drops fewer shots with the higher performing cartridge, and in this case the higher performing cartridge has less recoil, which is easier to shoot well netting still higher scores.

Thats just it, doesnt matter if you suck or are the greatest shot on earth. Either of those shooters drops fewer shots with the higher performing cartridge, and in this case the higher performing cartridge has less recoil, which is easier to shoot well netting still higher scores.
In theory. In practice it rarely works that way.

I see it in USPSA almost every weekend: people with better skills and plastic pistols trashing people who are not as good with heavier, "better" pistols in the same division.

Reactions: moosemeat
In theory. In practice it rarely works that way.

I see it in USPSA almost every weekend: people with better skills and plastic pistols trashing people who are not as good with heavier, "better" pistols in the same division.
Sure, but unless rules required it, do you see anyone picking a 308 over the creedmoor in a long range rifle match? I can see goofing around or being nostalgic, but no reason to give up a 20%-ish Bc advantage.

@Supersubes and @308pirate I think you’re both right: give a top ten shooter with a 6GT will be a top ten shooter w a 308. A bottom end shooter w 308 isn’t going to podium w a 6GT.

But a mid pack shooter might pick up a few more hits with less wind drift at distance and spotting a few more first round misses.

@Supersubes and @308pirate I think you’re both right: give a top ten shooter with a 6GT will be a top ten shooter w a 308. A bottom end shooter w 308 isn’t going to podium w a 6GT.

But a mid pack shooter might pick up a few more hits with less wind drift at distance and spotting a few more first round misses.
i dont think thats the case. A good shooter would be giving up a lot to his fellow top ten shooters, no way he does as well with a lesser cartridge. By less I mean a lot less.

Plot twist: I used to compete in NRA highpower with a Model 70 in 260 Remington..........
I’ll never forget the first couple of trips shooting my first .260 around mid 2006. After a decade or so with a .308, the .260 was just cheating. My UKD hit percentage went way up. I had a 300 wm at the time as well, and the .260 was easier to shoot, with almost identical drop and drift (190 smks in the WM). Even though there have been advancements in 30 cal bullets, its mostly at the heavy end of the scale and too heavy for a .308.

Reactions: supercorndogs
Ok cool idea that will never happen:

308 invitational

$10,000 winner take all match
Top 10 PRS + top 10 NRL finalists
One month after the PRS finale
All entrants MUST shoot 308win.

Discuss......

(sorry OP....what was the question again?....)

Terrible idea of the day that will never happen:

Beginning 2022 all 308 shooters get a 10 hit handicap......

NRL and PRS should adopt a minimum power factor.

I vote for 450
Naturally you would.

edit: On second thought, that means your competition will be shooting 6.5-284’s and 6.5 PRC’s with 156 bergers, or the F-class 284 win/180 berger combo. That will be a whole new level of smackdown on the .308.

Last edited:
Reactions: moosemeat
Can't go wrong with either. That said an 18" 308 makes a lot of sense in your case.

If you’re going to be using it for duty, stick to the .308. It’s been the standard LE sniper caliber for many years and will be much easier to defend in court if you ever find yourself in that situation.