• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Rechargeable batteries for NV

TxWelder35

WELDERAT0R
Minuteman
  • Oct 17, 2018
    DFW
    What is the consensus on using rechargeable batteries in NV devices? My specific use is for a PVS14 and a dbal d2. It would be nice to be able to throw the batteries on the charger after each use and know i have a good battery the next time I go to use it.

Specifically for the PVS14 I would be using the lithium based rechargeables. I was looking at the 3300mah EBL AAs

Assuming they are the same 1.5v for the AA and 3v for the 123a would they be safe to run?

Definitely not worth burning up expensive gear trying to find out.

It's generally taboo... that being said, I've run rechargeables in 14s and BNVDs without issue. Not suggesting anyone follow that idea, just saying *I* have done it with *my* personal sets without issue.

Still always remove battery at end of night, regardless.

The advantages of NiMH rechargeables is that they don't leak or expand.

In low current applications they’ll work great, such as a PVS-14.

I’ve run them without issue for about 40 hours in a PVS-14, and various devices such as PVS-30s and PVS-24s.

Li-ion AAs are great due to the fact they never leak and last well past 60 hours. Issue is that they are not rechargeable. Nor would I use any rechargeable li-ion batteries in any device, as they are all sketchy. CR123RCs are potentially an issue as well.

I don’t know if there is specific documentation that indicates to never use NiMH in NVD devices, specifically AA.

Last edited:
    The advantages of NiMH rechargeables is that they don't leak or expand.

In low current applications they’ll work great, such as a PVS-14.

I’ve run them without issue for about 40 hours in a PVS-14, and various devices such as PVS-30s and PVS-24s.

Li-ion AAs are great due to the fact they never leak and last well past 60 hours. Issue is that they are not rechargeable. Nor would I use any rechargeable li-ion batteries in any device, as they are all sketchy. CR123RCs are potentially an issue as well.

I don’t know if there is specific documentation that indicates to never use NiMH in NVD devices, specifically AA.
    Reason to not run the lithium AAs but the NiMh are okay? I thought that lithium was a more stable voltage after being charged, wouldn’t leak and lasted longer. Hence all power tool batteries are now Li ion

Some manufacture's use specific batteries when designing a system. The discharge curve of a Lithium battery is very different from an Alkaline battery and will impact system performance. Rechargeable batteries are in the same boat in that regard.