• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors recipe for 308 subsonic loads?

Re: recipe for 308 subsonic loads?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michael sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A recipe for 308 subsonic loads?

Max range for killing a deer w/ subsonic rounds?
</div></div> There is a section under the reloading depot that discusses subsonics. I use Trailboss to load my subsonics and works very well.

Just for you info here is mine.

20" 308 bolt 1x10"
11.5gr Trail boss
lapua brass
180grn hornady Round Nose
210m primer

Shoots pretty accurate for me. I have no idea on deer, but i have killed racoons at 50 yds. These shoot almost same hole at 50yds and are stabil. I shoot supressed.

CJG

Reactions: Trev1866

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michael sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A recipe for 308 subsonic loads?

</div></div> There is a section under the reloading depot that discusses subsonics. I use Trailboss to load my subsonics and works very well. </div></div>
------------------------

I went to this section SEARCHED for subsonic loads ... seems to me -only- every came up but subsonic loads!!!

I personally use 10.5 Grains of Trail Boss at that keeps me just under the 1050FPS mark. I shoot 180 GR Hornady Spiral Points. never tried them on a deer so not sure how they would work.

First, no matter what data you use, you will need a chronograph. Each rifle and load is a bit different. Ideally you want between 1000 and 1100 fps. Faster than 1100 fps and you risk a sonic boom especially in colder temperatures. Lowers speeds give less power, higher trajectories and the potential for increased yawing which can be hazardous to your silencer if you are using one.

I use WC820, it is like H110 and entirely safe to use in reduced loads in rifles. H110, V110, 4227 and any other magnum pistol powder is good for subsonic rifle loads. Start with about 15 grains in a 308 case and a 220 grain bullet.

Ensure your twist is right. 1-10 is good for round noise 220 grain bullets, but they will keyhole with a 1-12 twist. 180 grains work well with a 1-12 twist.

Magnum primers give more consistent ignition and lower standard deviations. It has been my experience that you can expect your groups to average 1.5 to 2 times larger with subsonic ammo in a gun intended for supersonic ammo.

Past 200 yards a subsonic bullet is moving downhill very quickly. With a 200 yard zero, you will still be at least a foot high at 100 yards. You need to know the range to the target very well in order to ensure correct shot placement.

Ranb

Edited to add; I forgot about using Bulleye. It works great for jacketed bullets. I have found that using Bullseye for cast 44 mag subsonic resulted in leading in the bore. For 223 and 308 it is nice. Thanks normbal.

I use my junk Fed cases for sib loads
10.5 gr trailboss
180 gr serria rn

Works good but trailboss is a dirty powder. You need to clean up after fireing

do some googling on this one, it's been beaten to death, especially in Finland of all places where buying a suppressor is cash and carry.

Load I decided on is a 180 grain Sierra RN, 2.700" OAL, Win Standard primers and 8.2 grains of BULLSEYE.

Some argue for bulky powders, others for FAST powders so as not to cause detonation when what you want is just a quick pressure spike. Stock/OEM subtonics seem to use VV powders, less than 10 grains (I bought and disassembled a few) as far as I can tell, but, as they're proprietary, the mfr.'s not going to tell you what powder they use. Lapua SS runs around $3 a round, TTI was about half that (they still in business?), EBR Thumper about a buck a round, there are several others in the game.

These do really well out of a suppressed 24" Rem 700 PSS, no keyholes, at about 1050-1080 fps. All I hear is trigger breaking and "thump." I've shot hundreds of 'em. Fed through an LTR w/ a 20" barrel I occasionally get a sonic crack, especially with a warm barrel, which I attribute to not having the extra 4" of barrel slowing down the bullet.

They work well on deer, ME close to a 9mm round. Through and through torso shots, accurate enough for head shots.

Do your homework, YMMV.

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane1.html

http://cartridgeloaders.com/article/subsonic%20308%20load.html

and search for "308 subsonic bullseye" while you're at it. Have fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michael sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michael sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A recipe for 308 subsonic loads?

</div></div> There is a section under the reloading depot that discusses subsonics. I use Trailboss to load my subsonics and works very well. </div></div>
------------------------

I went to this section SEARCHED for subsonic loads ... seems to me -only- every came up but subsonic loads!!! </div></div>

It's the first thread at the top of the list right now

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=468230&gonew=1#UNREAD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally use 10.5 Grains of Trail Boss at that keeps me just under the 1050FPS mark. I shoot 180 GR Hornady Spiral Points. never tried them on a deer so not sure how they would work. </div></div>

I just did a little testing yesterday, have a peak. Read the thread below, lotta meat there.

DSCF6102.jpg

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...426#Post2943426

Fed brass
Fed 210 primer
10.3 Trail Boss
175 SMK
This out of a 10 twist 20" barrel around 1050fps and 200 yd accuracy.

Tried my first sub loads today since my can will be here monday. Used 10.5 of Trail Boss with a Remington Premier Accu Point 180 grn bullet. Unfortunately it was supersonic but my 5 test shots connected around 3/4". I reduced the load to 10 grns of TB and it was subsonic. Due to the low sun I was able to watch the bullets fly in the scope and hit the steel. It was too cool. I have some more loaded up for additional testing. Needs 8 MOA to hit at 100.

I shoot 10gr trailboss behind a Sierra 180gr RN. I think i'm around 970 or so. If I move up to 10.5 I get a slight crack, and I want the quietest load I can shoot, even if that means giving up some speed.

I work my loads up by just stepping up the powder charges until I get some crack to it, and then back off slightly. My rifle shoots pretty much anything well, so i'm always looking for velocity.

Branden

I use 8.2 grains of MP200 pistol powder and 180grain Sierra SPT bullets with magnum Primers.
I use 1grain of dacron (teddy bear stuffing) filler.

My rifle is a. 308 10 twist 23 inch.
I get consistent 1080 fps every shot.

My problems are:
1)poor tragectory (12 inch drop at 100 yards compared to the same bullet traveling at double the speed)
2)poor grouping 5 moa
3) extreme penetration with absolutely no bullet deformation (went clean through an 8 inch log)
4) extreme fouling - takes a lot to get the plastic gunk out, the pistol powder also seems to cause more fouling and I'm getting a lot of copper out but that might be caused by supersonic. The neck of the cases also gets black fouling.
5)terri9cold bore bullet drop (10moa)although I think I have sorted this out by doing a deep copper clean over a few weeks.

Still lots of fun and all my kids want to shoot subsonic. I shoot 2 times as many subs as supers it's good fun.

I made some 230gr powdercoated bullets from wheel weights and put them over 13gr of Shooters World Buffalo Rifle. With a cci 250 large rifle magnum primers they are right around 1025 with an SD of 10 (not even trying to load consistently!) Out of my .308 M1D Garand with a 1-10 twist barrel. I DID NOT modify the flash hole in this brass. I got double the SD with standard LR primers. Bullets are stable with this load in my gun.

Best part is that I am loading this stuff for $.08 per round!!!!!!!!