• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recipe for Federal Gold Match 168 BTHP

The_end

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2006
PHX, AZ
Posting for a buddy of mine who's going to be using Lake City brass and the Federal Gold Match 168 grain BTHP .308 bullet. I did a quick search but didn't find much. He'll be shooting them out of a 20" Rem 700. Just looking for a good recipe to start with. Thanks

Re: Recipe for Federal Gold Match 168 BTHP

In the 1990s I got an email from an employee that said the closest thing (at that time) was 42.5 grains of IMR 4895. Using military brass the case volume is less. You'll want to reduce the load a bit.

I have seen photos lately that shows a different powder. It isn't the same "stick" style extruded powder. Maybe a "short cut"...?

Better yet dump the 168 and work up a load with 175SMK. With federal brass one should find a sweet spot around 43.0-43.4 grains. But work up to that...it's on you.

+1 on what TangoDown911 said. With LC brass start about 41 gr of IMR 4064 at 2.800, BR II primer.

I was telling him to go 175SMK as well, I'll put that in his ear again. Thanks for the tips guys, appreciated.

i heard 44.3 grains of RE15 for the 175SMK. I get pressure signs before 44.0 grains of RE15 with this bullet.

44.3 was what the G was cramming onto m118lr at one point. They had pressure issues in the hot temps of the sandbox. They have since changed it. From what I have seen in m118lr...powder charge will change from year to year. One of the loads was 42.1 grains of rl15...another good node.