• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

recipe for new 308, 700 milspec

Headgear

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2010
West Harrison, Indiana
I have a brother who just got a 700 milspec in 308 Win. and he has 8lbs of IMR4895 that he was loading 30-06's for his Garand. I kind of got him interested in long range shooting and I only use Varget. After dropping the cash for the rifle he wants to use up the 4895. We need to do some test loads to see what the rifle likes. Does anyone have an idea where we can start so we don't have to test everything between beginning loads to hot loads?

We are actually both just getting into long range and for the time being we are shooting from 100 to 500 yards using 168 SMK's with CCI BR2's in new, processed Win brass.

Thanks

Re: recipe for new 308, 700 milspec

keep the fps above 2500 for the 5r milspec, below that as i have found the moa will increase substantially from below moa the about 1.5to 2 moa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Headgear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..... Does anyone have an idea where we can start so we don't have to test everything between beginning loads to hot loads?......
Thanks </div></div>

Headgear,

Congrats on the new rifle, you will enjoy it. Now as to your question: <span style="font-weight: bold">NO, you are not baking a cake, you are reloading for a rifle. There are no shortcuts. Your 5R is different, from any other 5R. Your barrel and chamber is likely cut with a different reamer, than one made last year, or one that will be made next year. Further your lot of brass, bullets and powder, will be different from mine, or anybody else's.
</span>
Shortcuts in reloading lead to potential disaster, for you, your brother, and anybody else who is sitting near you. In reloading for over 35 years, I had rifles that would tolerate loads far above published max loads. I also had rifles that showed max pressure with published starting loads, and I've had blown primers in one Remington rifle out of the box with "supposedly safe" premium factory ammo.

In short there is no safe substitute to working up a load, in your rifle, yourself.

IMHO, and YMMV,

Bob

Thanks Bob but I may not have explained myself clearly enough. We will definitely test for pressure from the bottom but I am was just wondering when we go to test for accuracy, what range to start looking in. As a matter of fact, we have already test for pressure and have been shooting some up to 43.8 grains. If anyone suggests higher than that we will definitely be going up at two tenths and watch for signs of pressure.