• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recipes for US869, 300 Scenars in 338LM

Recon_Scout

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2020
Need some community recipes (obviously will use with caution) for the US869 and 300 Scenars in 338LM. Specifically shooting AI AX (Pre-2014) so stuck with CIP OAL.

Do some searches here because I know of at least one thread about a similar bullets with that powder about A year ago and a bigger one a few years ago.

Do some searches here because I know of at least one thread about a similar bullets with that powder about A year ago and a bigger one a few years ago.
Yes, look for both combos for a while and could not find anything

How about this:

Just one of the few I found

How about this:

Treads talks about Berger 300gr, which is a dramatically different bullet to 300 Scenar not does not do well in the CIP magazine of my 338 AIAX (I have some for sale on the site ;) due to Bergers requiring a significantly longer OAL).

I can produce very good results with Bergers but only if I single load them.

With a shorter OAL of 300gr Scenars (I can get them .020 off lands) I have not been able to find a thread listing a "practical experience load" (Yes I have the Hornady book as Well as Lyman books and can work it up but wanted to see some comparisons)

Just one of the few I found
See reply above, same issue - thread only references SMKs and Bergers VLDs

See reply above, same issue - thread only references SMKs and Bergers VLDs
The loading differences in those and really all common cup/core 338 target style bullets is minimal.
Find close data, start safe and work up.
If there’s more bearing surface area make an appropriate adjustment.

Reactions: KZP
Treads talks about Berger 300gr, which is a dramatically different bullet to 300 Scenar not does not do well in the CIP magazine of my 338 AIAX (I have some for sale on the site ;) due to Bergers requiring a significantly longer OAL).

I can produce very good results with Bergers but only if I single load them.

With a shorter OAL of 300gr Scenars (I can get them .020 off lands) I have not been able to find a thread listing a "practical experience load" (Yes I have the Hornady book as Well as Lyman books and can work it up but wanted to see some comparisons)

That should be enough info to get started. I've figured out loads using 869 in another caliber based on the bullet info that isn't what I load. I start low, make a few rounds, figure out the FPS delta per grain then try another small batch in steps until I get a safe max velocity charge.

Reactions: Steel head
That should be enough info to get started. I've figured out loads using 869 in another caliber based on the bullet info that isn't what I load. I start low, make a few rounds, figure out the FPS delta per grain then try another small batch in steps until I get a safe max velocity charge.
BCD4973E-167E-40A8-816C-6FCD5E05C95B.gif