• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: RECIPES

I fry suirrels,dress,roll in flour,herbs,seasonings and toss in the frying pan,cook like chicken. Tastes like it too. Could steam them Big pan and wrap squirrel with pototoes,carrots,onion in tin foiladd a little water, and put in oven at 360 for at least an hour.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harold Dale</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I fry suirrels,dress,roll in flour,herbs,seasonings and toss in the frying pan,cook like chicken. Tastes like it too. Could steam them Big pan and wrap squirrel with pototoes,carrots,onion in tin foiladd a little water, and put in oven at 360 for at least an hour. </div></div>

Do you wet them then roll in flour or do you egg them and roll in flour?

Olive oil? Vegi Oil?

I have a few in my freezer

Last time I cooked squirrel I grilled it and ate with grilled asparagus and spaghetti

red squirrel or gray? We have a ton of squirrels here but I never thought of eating one LOL, I have heard of it but never got into the particulars of it.

I make jerkey and pickles often if any one wants recipes for that
smile.gif

Doc, reds are more popular around farmland, especially here in the western portion. They tend to be much bigger and tougher too. My favorite is pressure cooked or boiled then toss in crock pot and cook until meat falls bones, remove bones and add barbecue sauce back in. The naturally stringy meat makes a great barbecue. Other than that, fried in an iron skilled with butter, rolled in flour and sprinkled with salt and pepper and some biscuits
wink.gif
. Don't forget to make gravy out of the drippings in the skillet
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCOREY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doc, reds are more popular around farmland, especially here in the western portion. They tend to be much bigger and tougher too. My favorite is pressure cooked or boiled then toss in crock pot and cook until meat falls bones, remove bones and add barbecue sauce back in. The naturally stringy meat makes a great barbecue. Other than that, fried in an iron skilled with butter, rolled in flour and sprinkled with salt and pepper and some biscuits
wink.gif
. Don't forget to make gravy out of the drippings in the skillet
whistle.gif
. </div></div>

Nice I'll have to try that. Last time I cooked I marinated in Red wine(yes I know you're suppose to use white wine for white meat) for 20 minutes, rubbed some montreal steak seasoning into them and grilled.

MMMMh mmmh good

I can't get the wife to eat them anymore. She saw them freshly skinned and said they looked like the unborn and won't touch them now. Almost a waste of time for me to fix them for myself. I usually give mine to my mom, she loves tree rat
crazy.gif
. I don't get after them like i use to, I need to spend more time chasing squirrels and less time after deer and predators. They are a blast to hunt with a rifle.

We should meet up sometime for a spring squirrel hunt. I love it. Squirrel and rabbit = more trigger time than deer hunting

I have a hard time killing the flea bitten bastards this time of year. I usually wait in the fall until after a few frosts before shooting them too. Right now it's hard for me to look up for squirrels when the morrels are down by your feet. Mushrooms kill my spring hunting
crazy.gif

buffalo style squirrel:
boil until meat starts seperating from bone, remove squirrel and seperate meat

mix with your favorite hot wing sauce

prepare a pan with a bottom layer of creamcheese.
put squirrel in wing sauce over it
put a layer of chunky bleu cheese dressing over it
put a sprinkling of sharp cheddar
keep layering as much as you want
bake in oven at 350 until top layer of cheese bubbles
can mix it all together or leave layered

can be used as a dip or sandwich style, side order of steak fries, celery bleu cheese

squirrel marsala with crab meat stuffing

1. lightly brown squirrel in lightly olive oiled pan, remove squirrel, leaving "brownings".

2. stuff rib cage with a crab meat and rice mixed stuffing.

3. roast squirrel with stuffing on grill or bake in oven with a shake and bake pork chop herb pack covering

4. while squirrel is roasting, on mid to high heat add marsala wine to pan, making a gravy. add a can of pork gravy to add more texture or corn starch, along with a can of mushrooms, and garlic / butter to taste.

5. when squirrel is roasted, place on plate, cover with marsala gravy.

can also bread squirrel with corn meal or italian bread crumbs before roasting. i like to serve with a side of carrots, spinach, pasta with left over gravy, or an roasted vadalia onion injected with balsalmic vinegar

3 or 4 young squirrels in a crock pot all day with a little water, lima beans and corn. When you get home, add a couple pinches of seasoning. Voila. Brunswick Stew. The meat literally comes off the bones. Delicious.

3 or 4 young grays. Stuff the rib cage with a mixture of pork sausage, diced onions, diced jalapenos, olive oil, black pepper, seasoned salt and garlic powder. Double wrap in aluminum foil drizzle more olive oil before sealing and throw them on the fire or grill for 45min to an hour.
They make great appetizers at hunting camp or anytime.

I had some fried squirrel last night. They were home squirrels too, but we had been at war over some bird feeders for some time, and they refuse to own weapons...

1 cup flour
3 Tsp. of seasoned salt
1 egg
2 T. milk
1 squirrel, cut up.
Vegetable oil.

Mix flour and seasoned salt on paper plate. Mix egg and milk in bowl. Dip pieces of cut up squirrel in egg mixture, then roll in flour mixture. Then places pices in hot vegetable oil in skillet. Brown. Remove and place in roasting pan. Bake in 275 degrees oven for approximately 1 hour.

I fried 4 so I increased the ingredients accordingly.

I haven't had groundhog in awhile but I called my 89 year old grandmother about it expecting her to laugh. Instead, she immediately turned serious and said, "Get a pen."

1 large onion
1 quart water
1 ground hog
some flour

Cut the onion up and put in water used to parboil the meat. Parboil 3 times, drain off water and onion. Roll the meat in flour and fry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwc001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about squirrel gumbo. </div></div>
grin.gif
When's it gonna be ready?

I've been cooking squirrels buffalo-style lately. I roll them in Hooters brand breading, fry them in oil, then cover them with Hooters wing sauce. Easy to do and very tasty.

We've baked squirrels before like you would a pork chop in the oven. Just sprinkle with some meat tenderizer and cover with mushroom sauce and bake with some potatoes and carrots. The meat falls of the bone.

For those that like to fry with a thicker bread crumb coating dip the pieces of meat in milk, then into the flour, then quickly into egg mixture, then into italian bread crumbs (Progresso), then fry in oil (vegetable or olive oil).

Whole young chuck, minus head.
July.
One lb good bacon diced and frying.
Two to three onions diced and ready to fry.
Flour in zippy bag with seasonings.
Fry in grease with onions.
Noodles for side.

Crow breasts are good for pepper steak.
Looks like deer meat.
If there is anything left.
.22 or 12 this time of year.
Caaw, caaw, caaw...
Cooked rice with a couple packs of Sazon and oil.
Needs more garlic.

308 is for fishing.
Hands are better.

SQUIRREL STIR FRY TERIYAKI-

4-5 squirrels - quartered
1 can 14oz. mixed vegetables- corn green beans, pea, carrots, lima beans, dice potatoes
1 can 7oz. of mushrooms
1 medium onion
teriyaki

boil the squirrels, remove meat from bone

stir fry the meat, vegatables, mushrooms, diced onion in a well oiled wok, high temp.

add teriyaki approx. 5-7oz. more or less to taste

stir fry until browned.

add prepared 1/4 to 1/3 lb spagetti, lingunie, or rice, mix until pasta or rice is also browned, either by the teryaki or heat

eat up! delicious.

I've been told the coyote is one of the few critters that if you get it past your nose you'll refuse to swallow unless you are starving.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gray squirrel. I don't think red squirrels exist in VA. If they do I've never seen them </div></div>

Update to this statement. I killed a red/fox squirrel this past season. Dat sucker was huge compared to a gray.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had some fried squirrel last night. They were home squirrels too, but we had been at war over some bird feeders for some time, and they refuse to own weapons...

1 cup flour
3 Tsp. of seasoned salt
1 egg
2 T. milk
1 squirrel, cut up.
Vegetable oil.

Mix flour and seasoned salt on paper plate. Mix egg and milk in bowl. Dip pieces of cut up squirrel in egg mixture, then roll in flour mixture. Then places pices in hot vegetable oil in skillet. Brown. Remove and place in roasting pan. Bake in 275 degrees oven for approximately 1 hour.

I fried 4 so I increased the ingredients accordingly.

</div></div>
Actually, you'll get a nicer coating if you do dip in milk first, then flour, then egg, then bread crumbs (like Progresso Parmesan crumbs); if the pieces are small enough can fry in olive oil, with a little italian seasoning.