• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Reciprocity documentation help

spaniel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2006
I'd appreciate any tips on where I could get firm legal documentation to carry proving that Michigan and Indiana have a reciprocity agreement which makes the Indiana CCW valid for carry in Michigan. While there are numerous online maps showing that it exists, I come up empty searching for printable documentation.

In the course of (legally) gathering photographic evidence to retrieve property stolen from my parents this weekend, I became involved with the local sheriff's office. After obtaining photographic evidence from a distance and calling them in to have it retrieved and the issue settled, I accepted their offer for a ride back to my car rather than slog back through 1/2 mile of thick underbrush. I did the proper thing and notified the officer that I was a CCW holder and was carrying and asked him what he wanted to do. The first officer didn't care but had to stay there so directed me to a second officer, who was really funny about the whole thing. Took my gun, unloaded, stored in the trunk, no problem with that. But got real funny about figuring out how to give me the ammo back with the gun at my car. Seemed a little over the top for a law abiding citizen calling them in on a thief and notifying them about carrying immediately but whatever.

When he saw my Indiana plate he got pretty firm about questioning the legality of me carrying in Michigan despite clearly not knowing himself. I finally politely told him that he had my phone number and he could call the prosecutor and sort it out, but I knew the law, and unless he was absolutely certain he was right and not me I was going home.

I'd like something I can print out to educate them next time. I understand they may not have the full list memorized I just want to avoid confusion when I'm in the right all along.

Re: Reciprocity documentation help

Go to each State's web site, find the Revised Statues, and seach for concealed weapons laws. There they will state the criteria (if any) for respecting other States' permits.

A few minutes of research on MI's .gov site turned up the following link, which states, "If you are a non-resident of Michigan with a valid concealed pistol permit from your home state, Michigan will recognize your permit."

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10957--,00.html

I'd suggest printing this page and keeping a copy in your glovebox. If you're challenged on its authenticity, just invite the officer to call the website into anyone with computer access to verify.

Go to www.nraila.org and go to the gun law section.
When you get there, choose the guide to interstate right to carry
reciprocity and recognition.
Choose your state or the state you're going to and the carry laws that are valid are shown.
You can also plan a trip using this to check carry laws in the states you drive thru.
According to the site, you are legal to be in Mich. with an Ind. carry permit and visa-versa.
The cop had no clue about interstate carry law.
Good luck

Steve

Thanks, you guys are awesome.

No bash on cops in general here, but sometimes I'm amazed how little they know about the actual laws they are enforcing. This particular department is bad because it is rural with a lot of part-timers, I bet the more major departments know their stuff better.

However, my shooting buddy's wife is a lawyer in some capacity with a prosecutor's office and I got a call from my buddy to verify that Indiana does not require registration of firearms. Multiple officers and baliffs she works with were insisting that if you do not register your guns in Indiana you are illegal and they can take your kids (they were NOT joking around) so she was freaking out knowing his collection. BS. As opposed to details on reciprocity, this IS something I would expect any cop to know about their state off the top of their head.

Most street cops don't deal with anything more than whether someone they encounter during their shift is legally carrying/possessing a firearm. If an agency is large enough to warrant it they likely will have detectives who deal with firearms specifically and will serve as a resource to answer more in depth questions about firearms laws. Not that it is an excuse but if you were to look at the criminal codes for most states they make the Holy Bible or War and Peace look like a comic book. Most cops don't have that much of the code memorized.