• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil chart w/ muzzle brake

Ritten

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2007
Houma, Louisiana
I've exhausted a search and can't seem to find one although I swear I've seen one here before. I'm looking for a chart that outlines/measures the calculated recoil of any given rifle with a muzzle brake. Specifically, I'm looking to show someone how rough the push/pull forces actually are on a scope with a braked centerfire rifle vs. the felt recoil. He's claiming that he needs a scope specifically built for a spring loaded air rifle because a conventional scope can't handle the opposite recoil. Does anyone have anything like that?

Re: Recoil chart w/ muzzle brake

Let me preface this post by saying that I am not an air rifle expert by any means, BUT...spring-loaded air rifles are a very unique problem when it comes to optics.

Even though air rifles are nowhere near the power offered by rimfire or centrefire cartridges, spring driven air rifles have a very unique, two-stage recoil that CAN damage conventional rifle scopes.

When you fire an air rifle, there is a backward recoil effect that is immediately followed by a snapping forward recoil effect that combines with the vibrations produced by powerful springs and places an enormous, but unusual stress on both scope and mounts. A lack of perceived recoil (like with an air rifle) really has zero to do with the impulses that can be exerted on a scope and mount from this spring effect.

Scopes designed for air rifles have lenses and a reticle that are braced/reinforced forward and aft to so that recoil doesn’t shake them loose. Most scopes (not all) designed for rimfire and centrefire rifles are not reinforced at the lenses and reticle on both sides. Because of this...a standard scope can get damaged and fail under the recoil impulse from an air rifle.

If you run a search for spring air rifle optics selection, you should turn up some additional information, articles and more "scientific" info that what I posted above.

+1. Some scopes are built for air-rifles and some come apart.

+1 The two way recoil of a modern air rifle not only destroys scopes, but can damage rings too. You have to buy a "air rifle" specific scope and not skimp out on the rings.

I completely understand that, and certainly don't dispute it. At the same time though, aren't scopes that are rated for .50BMG braced/reinforced similarly? I didn't want to make this a scope discussion but wanted to see how much rear and forward energy is seen at the scope on a braked rifle. Perhaps I can find a similar graph or chart for spring loaded air rifles.