• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil Enhancer?

JMcBurn

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2013
Toledo, OH
Anybody know a company making one? Would like to up the recoil of a 223 trainer. Trying to get something to mimic my match gun in 6.5x47's recoil.

I have seen them for 22lr to try and make it recoil more, but all of them are aluminum and I don't think they are gonna make it on a 223.

Edit: think something like a linear compensator will help make the 223 recoil more? That isn't the reason for the product, but it seems like it might be the same idea.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/product....n+.223/5.56+Linear+Comp+-+Black&groupid=12581

Last edited:
Have a 233 trainer myself. MPA that mirrors my match rig closely. However, that barrel weight, M24 at 25", with brake, has nearly no recoil. All I can suggest is removing the brake if you have one. Assuming you are running 75 eld's or 77 smk, or similar, pretty warm, not much else I can think of. I bought a 308 blank for my Curtis Vector so I can switch from Dasher to 308. But a 223 is a 223.

Have a .223 barrel spun up for your match rifle without a brake.
I guess i kinda am a bit more setup for it with the origin changable bolt faces though. I have big hopes for this build, but only time will tell if it works.

Why would a brake with the ports angled forward increase recoil? The most gas going through the smallest hole should produce the most rearward force.

Recoil is essentially the felt effect of the rifle being accelerated into the shooter. As stated above, all else being equal, a bare muzzle will have the most recoil. Without diving too deeply into the weeds, M1V1=M2V2. If you want to increase the velocity of the rifle slamming into you, decrease the mass of it.

Reactions: Heyitsclint
Why would a brake with the ports angled forward increase recoil? The most gas going through the smallest hole should produce the most rearward force.

Basically like attached photo. If you force the air to interact with a wall instead of being wasted. Same idea as a muzzle break right?

Attachments

• Recoil Enhancer.PNG
    Recoil Enhancer.PNG
    106.5 KB · Views: 22
Ask yourself what vectors make up the gas velocity on a bare muzzle? What vectors comprise the velocity of the expelled gas on a barrel with any attachment that deflects those gasses? I’ll give you the answer. ANY attachment that deflects the expelled gasses to the side decrease the forward velocity and increase the lateral velocity. That has the effect of reducing the recoil. Baffles directed rearward are better because they are more sharply redirecting the expelled gasses to the side and rear, but even baffles angled forward are deflecting those gasses laterally.

Mainly figured there would be some way to capture the wasted energy in radial expansion to direct the force rearward. Doesn't hurt for me to play with the modeling and see if I can get anything out of it.

Attachments

• Muzzle Blast.PNG
    Muzzle Blast.PNG
    105.5 KB · Views: 15