• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Recoil lug question

3-0-hate

Captain Nimcompoop
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Lost in Idaho...
I need to replace a recoil lug on my Bergara. The factory recoil lug is .220” thick. The only lugs I can find that are close are .228” thick. Will 8 thousandths fuck with my headspace enough for me to worry about it?

I will be checking everything with go-no-go gauges. should I just go with “If it fits it ships?”

I need to replace a recoil lug on my Bergara. The factory recoil lug is .220” thick. The only lugs I can find that are close are .228” thick. Will 8 thousandths fuck with my headspace enough for me to worry about it?

I will be checking everything with go-no-go gauges. should I just go with “If it fits it ships?”
8 thou will most certainly fuck with headspace....

but if it doesnt close on a No-Go it should be good.

Will 8 thousandths fuck with my headspace enough for me to worry about it?

Yes, probably. You might be able to find a shop to take it down to match thickness, or something along those lines.

If a field gauge (nogo plus a squidge) doesn’t chamber, it should be safe to fire. However, go-field difference is usually like 0.010” - corresponding to the SAAMI limit on most cartridge head spaces - so unless the bergara chamber was basically right on the go gauge you’re probably not safe to fire.

Go to any machinist and have them put the replacement lug on a surface grinder and take it down 0.008" very easy for any machine shop to do no need for a gunsmith.

Reactions: smoothy8500
Depending on the round, the difference between a Go and No Go is only about .007"s... so unless you had a short, tight chamber to begin with you defiantly need to invest in gages and/or take it to a smith.