• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil Pad Options for PRS Stocks

Zebra644

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Ohio
Ok I was doing some research on changing out the stock plastic pad that comes with the PRS Stocks as well as using the search function here. I have seen that Zel Custom Manufacturing makes an adapter plate that screws into the existing rear plate that the plastic " recoil " pad attaches to. The other options are to buy a slip over or a grind to fit. Thankfully I came across a company called Modular Driven Technologies. They make a soft recoil pad that is a direct replacement for the stock pad. They make two models that will cover every Mag Pul stock currently made. I bought mine through Brownells. M.D.T. also makes a replaced for the adjustable butt plate as well. That requires you to disassemble the stock and replace the o.e.m. guts with their replacement. That replacement allows you the ability to adjust for L.O.P It also allows you to adjust the butt plate up and down as well as horizontally if you wish to have a slight cant to the rifle. The M.D.T. recoil pad will run you around $35.00 so I bought one to try out. I posted the links below so those using the Map Pul stocks, specifically the PRS on a .308 or heavier can have some options without rigging something up. For those that may say pull the female sponge out of a certain place, I have had 2 repairs done on one shoulder surgery and its never really been the same, so after a few rounds, the .308 even on my SASS starts to tickle.

http://www.tactilite.com/M-P-Magpul-Pachmayr-Adapter-and-Recoil-Pad-Combo-p/rp-0032.htm Zel Custom

http://mdttac.com/buttstocks/ Modular Driven Technologies

I appreciate you posting this,
Who makes the QD sling adapter for this stock?

MDSS found at brownells

Last edited:
Zebra644,
I went the route of the Zel Custom when it was approx $75 for the complete unit. It definitely made the difference I was looking for. The LOP is approximately 1 full inch longer than stock on the PRS, and if vertically challenged like me, its all I can go. I too have had the 2 shoulder surgeries and fully understand the discomfort you speak of. The fit and finish of the Zel unit is very nice...

Quick Disclaimer here.
I posted this because I have seen alot of people looking for these options. I am not trying to say one is better than the other both are different. For me I am good with the LOP on the stock and I have no desire to adjust the butt, I just want a recoil pad that fits without any issues and not have to grind to fit or rig it up somehow or buy a whole new adapter. I figured between these two options it should help others find what best suits them.

KillShot thanks for posting that link also.

Ok I know I posted on this quite a few moths ago, but work has kept me as busy as a 3 legged cat on a hot tin roof. I purchased the MDT recoil pad. I put about 60 rounds through my AR-10 SASS with PMC, American Eagle, CBC, and FGMM 168s prone. That rifle shoots gentle with the drop in recoil pad. For those wanting to change out with an easy unscrew, pop out the old, replace with the new, screw back in, that does the job for $35.00 it gets my vote.

Last edited: