• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil Pad/ Winchester 70 pre 64

fhace126

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
i am looking for a recoil pad for a winchester model 70
i thought id ask you guys advice on whos got the best
also how much do yall think a pre-64 winchester 70 would be worth its in pretty good condition its got a few scratches here and there just looking for a ballpark. and no if anybody was wondering i am not going to be selling this rifle...ever just wondering the value of it.

Re: Recoil Pad/ Winchester 70 pre 64

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will depend greatly on condition, caliber, and model. Also, if you put a different recoil pad on it, subtract some money...

Dave </div></div>

i believe its a .243 featherweight

I have only recently gotten interested in this, but online pricing seems to go from $6-700 for rough one up to way over 2K for nice ones. I bought one with the intention of doing a build, but am too nostalgic to cut the damn thing.

Mine is in 264 Win Mag. I have a post with pictures if you are interested in it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chewbacca</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will depend greatly on condition, caliber, and model. Also, if you put a different recoil pad on it, subtract some money...

Dave </div></div>

i believe its a .243 featherweight</div></div>

The .243 Featherweight did not come standard with a recoil pad from the factory. It should have either an aluminum or plastic (on later models) buttplate unless it was a factory special order rifle.

If you have a pad installed on an original rifle it would ruin any collector value that this rifle might have and could lower its value by 50% (or more). In order for a .243 Featherweight with a recoil pad to retain collector value it would have to be accompanied by a factory letter stating that it was originally delivered that way.

Get a spare stock with a pad on it if you don't want to mess with the value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chewbacca</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will depend greatly on condition, caliber, and model. Also, if you put a different recoil pad on it, subtract some money...

Dave </div></div>

i believe its a .243 featherweight</div></div>

The .243 Featherweight did not come standard with a recoil pad from the factory. It should have either an aluminum or plastic (on later models) buttplate unless it was a factory special order rifle.

If you have a pad installed on an original rifle it would ruin any collector value that this rifle might have and could lower its value by 50% (or more). In order for a .243 Featherweight with a recoil pad to retain collector value it would have to be accompanied by a factory letter stating that it was originally delivered that way. </div></div>

it is a plastic butt plate

Get one of those slip butt pads...do anything but cut that stock!!

Theres an extra hot spot in hell for people that put recoil pads on pre 64 model 70s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get one of those slip butt pads...do anything but cut that stock!!

Theres an extra hot spot in hell for people that put recoil pads on pre 64 model 70s. </div></div>
This + 1000

You should be able to locate a stock that has already been cut/pad installed for less than the value you will loose on that rifle if you cut up the original stock. If you need the extra length of a thicker pad then the slip on will work well enough, if you need the stock to be shorter then find another stock first.

I have a pre-64 30-06 fwt with the aluminum plate and as hard as that ole girl smacks me sometimes I still refuse to alter it. Get a different stock or a slip on pad.