• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing recoil pad?

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2010
san jose ca
I have a hs precision stock for my 700 sa in .308. I am looking for a good replacement pad. The one on the gun now is not working out to well. The gun come in at 10lbs ready to shoot. And is kicking my ass after 50-75 rounds. What's say the hide for a good replacement?

I put a 1" Limbsaver on my HS stock to replace the horrible 1/4" pad it came with. It made a world of difference. Pachmayr Decelerator is another effective pad.

Be aware, if you also have one of those crappy 1/4" pads, replacing with a 1" pad will increase the length of pull to over 14". In my case, it was 14.25".

Is this something you are considering doing yourself or having a gunsmith do?

Marksman308, Going to do myself. Now I have to fi.d out how to get the old pad off. Thanks

0481, to get the old pad off you can do a couple different things. One is to freeze the pad or just leave it in a bucket of ice for a few hours which will allow the glue holding it on to harden and you can take a pair of pliers and just "pop" it off. This is the method I recently used and it works just fine. Another is to apply heat and "melt" the glue allowing the pad to again pop off.

These are the methods the tech advisers at HS Precision suggested.

They also informed me that they use a 2-part epoxy to attach recoil pads. I used Loctite plastic epoxy.

I'm not sure if anyone makes a pre-fit pad for the HS stocks, I used a grind-to-fit Limbsaver.

Here are a few things to make the installation easy and professional looking.

1. Scribe: you will need this to mark the shape of your stock on the grind to fit recoil pad.
2. Belt Sander: to shape the recoil pad.
3. Some tool to transfer the angle of the stock to the recoil pad. Check out the Miles Gilbert Recoil Pad Installation Fixture.
4. Two-Part plastic epoxy to attach the pad.
5. Sandpaper of varying grit to finish to pad after it's been installed. (optional, some gunsmiths don't go this far).
6. Blue painters tape and electric tape: to protect the stock while sanding.
7. 1/4" wood dowel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have a limbsaver 10001 on order. It's the closest to the fit as. Posable.

On a side note, HS will sell you a thick pad, and install it, even refinishing the stock for a very reasonable rate. I had a beat HS stock redone with new pad and finish within a couple weeks and the stock looked better than it did when it came from remington .

The length of pull between the original recoil pad and the limbsaver will be diff. You will need to cut the stock down to keep the original LOP. HS can do it for a little bit of money, I would add some material (card board etc)to original setup and see how the fit is.

We have had a few customers coming back to us mentioning that their rifle had way less felt recoil after replacing the HS with one of our products. Our Stock would weigh around half of the HS stock. I could not really explain why that should be the case and firstly dismissed it, however others mentioned it again and one customer did tests swapping stock back and forth. We could say that possibly our materials dampen more but it might also just be the shape. Our stock would have a much higher comb and as far as I can tell a higher positioned recoil pad.
So... how about an adjustable recoil pad, like the Bisley type or similar.
edi

Many moons ago I did a how to on HSP stock recoil pad replacement and filling the hollow cavity with lead shot

So my here is the short version, put your HSP in the freezer over night, tell the wife to STFU NICELY, get a hammer and sharp putty knife ready, remove the stock and immediately use the putty knife/hammer to remove the stock Piece Of S... recoil pad, sand the stock with a sanding block to square it up, get a prefit or if this is a PSS stock a Medium Grind to Fit. LimbSaver, and install the recoil pad, grind to fit is easy as long as you have a belt sander, once the recoil pad is done shoot your weapon, if you need more reduction in recoil remove the recoil pad and mix up 5 minute epoxy and LEADShot(make sure to use lead and not steel) and fill the hollow cavity until full with the lead shot, let it dry and sand it so if needed so the recoil pad fits, the extra weight in the butt really helps to balance out the rifle, and 200-300 rounds prone won't hurt the next morning.