• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Recoil reduction when using only brake vs brake/suppressor combination?

pell1203

Stay Focused!
Minuteman
  • Dec 27, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I initially posted on the Stupid Marksmanship Questions but it was suggested I try here...

Realizing this is probably a more complicated question than it initially appears, and recognizing a dedicated brake optimized for only recoil reduction will generally outperform a brake designed to do double duty as a brake and a suppressor attachment, I'd like to limit this discussion to only brake mount/suppressor combos to better focus the discourse. For example, assume the following:

Any .308 WIN rifle
    Thunder Beast CB Brake (30 cal.)
    Thunder Beast CB Flash Hider (30 cal.)
    Thunder Beast Ultra 7 CB Suppressor (30 cal.)

Only considering the above brake/suppressor components:
    1. Will recoil reduction be compromised when shooting the rifle with the suppressor attached vs without suppressor attached (i.e., brake only)?
    2. What effect does enclosing the brake completely inside a suppressor have? Does this totally nullify its effect?
    3. Is there any benefit or advantage to using a brake mount over a flash hider mount when attaching the suppressor?
    4. Does using the suppressor provide any additional recoil reduction in and of itself?
    Thanks for your replies.

I have an omega. There is slightly more perceived recoil with the supressor on vs the asr brake, but it is very close. Not really a huge difference. I prefer to shoot better with the supressor as there is less concussion felt.

Brake attached suppressor VS direct thread suppressor recoil should be same. The brake system will take all wear and the blunt force of gas etc, instead of your can. I would rather have a brake wear out, over my suppressor baffle any day.

Hi,

1. In a technical, instrumented test, our brake will show more recoil reduction than the suppressor. However, most people "perceive" less recoil with the suppressor, at least up to about 300 Win Mag.

2. It is subsumed by the suppressor

3. Not really. The CB brake is shorter overall and does take more impact vs. the flash hider with respect to the first baffles.

4. A suppressor does reduce recoil, so yes

Hi,

1. In a technical, instrumented test, our brake will show more recoil reduction than the suppressor. However, most people "perceive" less recoil with the suppressor, at least up to about 300 Win Mag.

2. It is subsumed by the suppressor

3. Not really. The CB brake is shorter overall and does take more impact vs. the flash hider with respect to the first baffles.

4. A suppressor does reduce recoil, so yes

A suppressor does not reduce recoil?

Sorry misread that. Thought you typed what I did, a suppressor did not reduce recoil, people only a perceived less recoil. Blew my mind. Turns out my mind was already blown.

Last edited: