• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

recoil with 20" 308

Toebuster

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2005
NY
I currently have your typical 24" heavy AMU barrel, Rem 700 .308 in a heavy (Mcmillan/Robar SR90 stock).

I'm thinking for my next rifle, a GAP Rock non fluted 20" barrel, Rem .308 in a HTG stock.

My question is how much more noise, muzzle flip will there be with a shorter barrel and slightly lighter stock.

Thanks.

Re: recoil with 20" 308

Its fine, granted, I don't hava a 24" 308. But my 20"ers are a dream an you'll love how much more handy the 20" rifle is.

Muzzle jumps quite a bit on a 20". After 50 rounds on my LTR, I'm done for the day. 50 rounds from my KMW with a 24" AMU is not a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toebuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...how much more noise, muzzle flip will there be with a shorter barrel and slightly lighter stock.</div></div>How much in what unit of measurement?

Subjectively, will the new rifle be prohbitively uncomfortable to shoot based on a change in weight alone? Probably not. It depends on the recoil pad used and how sensitive you are to recoil to begin with.

But .308's just don't recoil that much. It doesn't bother me to go from my 26" MTU/AICS to my 20" FN/A3. The increase in recoil is noticeable, but not so much that it affects my joy of shooting it.

If you like heavier barrels get the new build with a heavier contour on the shorter barrel and put it in a Manners stock that will take that contour. An 18" .308 heavy palma or MTU in a T2A is a joy to shoot.

A 20" ltr with the light HS stock and full power 175 or in that range loads isn't fun off the bench in a tshirt for me. It isn't brutal either, but not fun. Off of a bipod on the ground is better. I shot my AI 308 on the bench with bipod and 185 Bergers that were loaded HOT and it didn't bother me at all. A lot has to do with stock design too. I had a M70 sporter in 308 and shot 180's at 2600 fps. Stock was wood with NO recoil pad and it wasn't bad at all. go figure

Compared to when I had mine at 24, its a bit more. Im running a 20" #7 shilen contour that used to be 24." The flip is more, noise is the same. It takes longer to get back on target from the flip. With all that said, the rifle is 100% more handy.

You guys crack me up...

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">"the flip</span>" </span>

What the fuck is, "the flip"... I have 22", 20", 18.5" and none of them <span style="text-decoration: underline">"flip" </span> If by that you mean you haven't the foggiest clue how to shoot properly and your poor recoil management skills push the rifle off target, then oh, I get it.

But rifles don't, flip, hop, or bounce, they recoil back in a straight line, and only maneuver off the shooter in an undesirable way due to a poor shooting position. If you are unfamiliar with equal and opposite reactions I suggest you Wiki Newton .

recoil on a 308 and muzzle flip????you guys gotta be fuckin kidding me....When i shoot, the rifle goes no where except straight back into my shoulder. I guess without proper form this is a different story to you guys. Ive shot a McM edge stocked LTR and never had a problem with recoil or this infamous muzzle flip you guys talk about. Also shot with a 20 LB 19 inch 308 and never had a problem with it, it went straight back into the shoulder as well. All the barrel length comes down to is how handy you want it

Hmm... maybe flip was the wrong word. Basically, coming back on target quickly is my main issue, with noise increase secondary.

I'm not recoil sensitive with a .308 even if it weighs only 6 pounds.

Thank you.

I think this is what he meant...The flip!!!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dGkOni7q604"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dGkOni7q604" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I just went from a 26" to a 20" .308 myself.

No difference in recoil or increase in muzzle movement noticed.

The shorter tube does not seem to be any louder than the longer one was, especially with hearing protection on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toebuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm... maybe flip was the wrong word. Basically, coming back on target quickly</div></div>As Lowlight said above, barrel length is not the issue.

On the other hand, I've seen a rifle (barrel/stock combination) that does move the same each time, one Mil left, for different shooters who were each properly lined-up straight behind the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toebuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm... maybe flip was the wrong word. Basically, coming back on target quickly</div></div>As Lowlight said above, barrel length is not the issue.

On the other hand, I've seen a rifle (barrel/stock combination) that does move the same each time, one Mil left, for different shooters who were each properly lined-up straight behind the rifle.</div></div>

Try a different bipod, I have a harris that the feet aren't even and it causes an issue, so I dumped it...

you always have an unruly rifle, and need to fix that.

I have had both a 24" and a 20" barrel .308, I much rather the 20" barrel any day. I can shoot anything the 24" can shoot and it doesn't take up much room. And I haven't noticed a difference in the recoil either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try a different bipod, I have a harris that the feet aren't even and it causes an issue, so I dumped it... you always have an unruly rifle, and need to fix that.</div></div>It was Jim's rifle, a SH22.