• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Recomend a thermal unit for longer ranges

Captain Moroni

Well armed easily annoyed
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2007
Pocatello ID
www.highdeserttactical.us
OK so I don't know a ton about thermal and I have a customer looking for a thermal scope or clip on for 600+ yard engagements. He is using it for predator control on his cattle ranch here in Idaho so read what you want into what predators he's after.

We have looked at the Raytheon W1000-9 and the FLIR T50. And both have good points but which one would be better for 600+ yards. Or would something else all together be better? $11000 is about the max he is wanting to spend as he needs a rifle and a few other goodies with it.

Using a coyote as a reference, I think you would be hard pressed to make hits at 600 in the 5-6" window necessary.

The other aspect to it is does he have the time to maintain a vigilant watch?

I do predator control on a DNR nuisance permit at a turkey farm using a 640 core unit and it's not always as straight forward as you may think.

A 600 yard coyote hit is not a problem. Your equipment just has to keep up. From what I am reading the L3 CNVD-T3 is the one to have. But it has a hefty price tag.

thermal hand held to detect and nv to ID then shoot if he's going to be at those ranges. Thermal handheld is ~3k, NV(CNVD-LR or PVS-27, PVS-22) ~10-12k. There may be another NV option that would work but it would have to be a dedicated NV rifle. There are others here who detail the ins and out better than I.

While shooting them is great, just being around and teaching them to fear your location(in the event of a miss) will reduce the frequency of livestock altercations.

Getting closer to a coyote than 600 yards should not be a problem, why can't he get any closer than that, does he call them?

Well I have something that he's going towwant capt. Same ones army uses today.mom range out to over a mile at pin point if u want....pm me

A 600 yard coyote hit is not a problem. Your equipment just has to keep up. From what I am reading the L3 CNVD-T3 is the one to have. But it has a hefty price tag.

This is the one I want, but it'll be a loooong time before I can save the $24,000 it costs to get one. But you get something like 2400 or 2600 meter detection range, and it'll work up to 10x or 12x I think. I wanted it for a .50, it's rated for .338LM. I can't understand why something with that much reach wasn't rated higher, but whatever. But by the time I can afford it, there will likely be one that can handle the recoil and probably a better one than the L3 model. Who knows. The HISS was mentioned (but I don't know anything about it).

Call TNVC and talk to one of those guys though, they may have something in the middle that will work that may be more of your price range, I don't know. But they've always squared me away without trying to sell me on anything.

Last edited:
in the price range your looking at 11k he would be money ahead if he picked up a LS64 FLIR and a Aquila 6x the hard part of his problem is ranging at night, lots of practice using the mill dots on hogs and coyotes and that can still be hit or miss on a moving target, so toss several more K to it and pick up one of them nifty Wilcox Raptors laser range finders (on my wish list). I started to keep a log book of laser ranged land marks in the pastures I hunt for hogs and coyotes so I have an idea pasture A farthest shot 350 to tree line, pasture B 300 to well head and 450 to cannel and so on, I do this when scouting new property during the day.

wolfs are different than coyotes but many are called up to close range and taken or over bait piles in may just take a good bit more scouting and planning go over to predator masters fourms and look up Red Frog he guides wolf hunts in Canada and is pretty successful at it and I would bet most of his clients don't have to make 600 yard shots or at night

Tell him to make a range card for various positioins on his property. He needs solid shooting positions anyway or he is not going to be making any LONG shotw at night, All he needs is a piece of paper, compass and laser range finder and a bit of drawing ability, and good binos . Simple. Get thermal to scan and a clip on to shoot and then practice.

That is what it all comes down to.

The longest I've attempted and hit is about 675 on pigs, with a pas13. If you have a handheld thermal with laser and another buddy running it, a 6x raptor is dang hard to beat.