• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend a 500$ Bino

4O6shootist

F. J. B.
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2021
USA
Looking for personal experience in the mid tier price range for a new aet of binos for the lady. I have some zeiss victory rf 10x42, when I got these two yeaes ago, I sold off my two other sets. Eyeing the meopta meopro hd plus currently. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Well, these

Are really nice for the $$ ... sorry they aren't quite $500 ... only $300 ... but they are small and have great glass and great FOV.
I have a pair with LRF and a pair without. I also have Zeiss 10x45 LRF but they are bigger and heavier.

Only problem with the steiners they aren't always in stock and aren't right now. But if you wait awhile they will be. So if you're in a hurry, you might have to look around and see if you can find some on somebody's shelf. Or else wait a bit and get them direct.

Reactions: 4O6shootist
Athlon for the money is a solid choice. There are plenty of reviews on them and their street price is under $500.

Reactions: NewsShooter
Athlon for the money is a solid choice. There are plenty of reviews on them and their street price is under $500.

Ive read this, can get them for 400$ from a site sponsor. Likely gonna go this route.

I appreciate the reaponses guys. I haven't messed around in the lower price ranges. Always kinda been the buy best once, cry once mentality. The woman doesn't want to drop a G or more on binos! I don't blame her.

I'd recommend letting her pick out the ones that best suit her.
I have a couple pair of Leica and Rebecca loves the 8x30s, but she says the eye cups on the 10x40s are much more comfortable.

So, she uses the 10x.

Things like this are personal to people just like trying to buy her a pistol.
It doesn't work because our bodies, hands and especially eyes are different from person to person.

Let her pick them out.

I'd recommend letting her pick out the ones that best suit her.
I have a couple pair of Leica and Rebecca loves the 8x30s, but she says the eye cups on the 10x40s are much more comfortable.

So, she uses the 10x.

Things like this are personal to people just like trying to buy her a pistol.
It doesn't work because our bodies, hands and especially eyes are different from person to person.

Let her pick them out.
That's a good point. Very few options here locally. Small podunk town. Guess we'll have to make a trip so she can check out some glass.

Reactions: lash
I don't know her experience with binocular use, so I'll assume it's limited.

Before you go shopping, print out an optic resolution chart and have her setup a pair of your binoculars.
Have her look at the resolution. Show her how to adjust them for the best image.
Then, take her outside and have her look and spot things with your alpha glass.

Once she's comfortable, then go shopping.
Take that pair of your binos with you so she can compare.

All of the above will help her pick out the best glass that meets her needs.

Reactions: lash and Modoc
Check out Steiner Predator 10 x 42's I love mine & they're only around $400. Perfect for your use as described.

Mavens are tough to beat and offer alot of options at any budget.

I have the Bushnell Forge 15x56 for spotting PRS matches. The glass quality punches above it’s price range at that magnification, but haven’t tried any other configurations.

I had the 10x Athlon Cronus mentioned earlier for about a year and thought they were pretty nice. I use a vortex 8x viper monocular now but they are noticeably worse than the Cronus in image quality if that gives you any perspective of the quality of the athlons

Check out Kowa binos. They are awesome and have many tiers. Contact Doug at Cameraland. He's a hide supporter and will get ya a great deal. You will not be disappointed.

Appreciate all of your guys recommendations. Ended up getting a pair of gpo 10x42 with the labor day sale. She also acquired some otto noizebarrier ear pro for 340$ with the weekends sales offers.

I was just thinking of starting a thread like this. How are you like the GPO 10x42?

Anyone have any experience the Leupold BX-4 Pro Guides? With vet discount, they're like $400

I have a pair of Vortex DB 10x42 - I bought on sale last year @ BassPro - Optically, they were much better than I expected, I paid 150.00 for them, worth the money to me any way.

Vortex Viper HD 10x42 come in right at $499 and include Vortex's bullet proof warranty which may be attractive to someone who isn't very active or expert with optics. I have a pair I use for whitetail hunting and was surprised at how bright they were at dusk.