• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend a 700 Clone Long Action for a Long Range Hunting Build

riverrat13

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2017
Newbern, TN
Right now I am looking at the ARC Nucleus, Lone Peak Razor, Defiance Rebel Hunter, Curtis Axiom and Kelbly Atlas Tactical. I don't want to wait months on end for the action, so long lead times are a deal breaker. Planning on putting this on an MPA Lite, KRG X-Ray, or XLR Evo.

Right now I am looking at the ARC Nucleus, Lone Peak Razor, Defiance Rebel Hunter, Curtis Axiom and Kelbly Atlas Tactical. I don't want to wait months on end for the action, so long lead times are a deal breaker. Planning on putting this on an MPA Lite, KRG X-Ray, or XLR Evo.
Not sure if you're interested in our products, but we have actions on the shelf at a number of different retailers. If you'd like more information, send us a message and we can direct you to the right people.

I have a Bighorn and have been VERY happy with it. Something else to consider is swapping calibers, Bighorn bolts have swappable bolt heads so you can swap from a .532 bolt head for any of the magnums to a .473 bolt head if you get a 30-06, 280Rem etc. barrel.

Reactions: jda2631
Another bighorn vote here. I went TL3 long action. Not only swapable bolt heads, but all actions headspace the same so smith's offer prefit barrels for it. Just order it and it ships to your door headspaced to your action no need to mess with barrel nuts, just torque it down and go. 28 Nosler hunting barrel, 6.5 sweede target barrel. So I get to practice and target shoot for fun during the spring/summer/fall all on my hunting rifle with its trigger and scope without burning out the 28 barrel and using much much cheaper ammo.

Last edited:
I have build and tested rifles with almost all of the actions you mentioned. The main diference is features, integral rail, control feed, mecanical ejector and coatings. The one that offers most features ( the closest to a mauser 98 but tight ) is the mausingfield. There is nothing wrong with any of the other ones, but they could, potentially, suffer in the accuracy side or reliability side. You could run a stock Remington action and if your loads are moderate and keep up with maintenance and excess sand/dirt out of the action you will not have any issues. But thats hard to do. One good option is the PTG, action. Very affordable, less than trueing up a Remington and it has a one piece bolt. Great budget action.

Reactions: lash