• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend a range finder please

Rifletuner

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2007
Australia
I am looking for a rangefinder that will range animals to around 1000 yards. It will be used primarily to hunt with, but also for checking targets in PRS matches. Looking for a good value option, but reliability and warranty are factors I am considering. Technology in this area is changing so much now and new options seem to be coming out often, so wanting to see whats being recommended right now.

From what I have found, Vortex / SIG / Leica seem to be popular options. SIG seem to be having a lot of ongoing issues with rangefinders failing or at least thats my perception. That has me leaning towards something like the Vortex 4000 as they seem to work and have a great warranty.

Any thoughts welcome

I bought a leupold rx-2800tbr/W
About 4 months ago for 400.00 usd
Does everything I need and more, a lot of features available I may not use but there if I need them.
I have no experience with some of the other brands in your post.

We have the Leica CRF-2700B starting at only $469.99. It is an excellent unit and IMO the way to go:

• Equivalent horizontal range (EHR) up to a distance of 1100 meters/1200 yards
  • The holdover value, or the number of clicks to set on the riflescope
  • Integrated inclinometer and air pressure and temperature sensor
  • Integrated microSD memory card slot for a choice of three different ballistic applications and an output of the results in the format relevant to their needs
  • Fast scan mode that records the environment and targets every 0.5 seconds

Reactions: TagalongJC
I like my SIG 2200MR. Compact, fast, great battery life, lifetime transferable warranty, easy to use, and can be found pretty cheap now. Ended up going with the MR due to that feature. Sure it’s just a super basic reticle, but it lets you do a fast talk on with a buddy.

I just bought the Leupold RX-2800 TBR about 6 weeks ago. They are very good rangefinders. My buddies have sig,Nikon and Bushnell. The Leupold will pick up targets at longer ranges then all of theirs. 1400 yards is no problem. I have ranged pine trees at 2117 and house tops out to 2300. I picked them up on ebay new for 371 dollars including tax and shipping.

Attachments

• 56C3917B-8406-4E9A-9E09-86D35E3897A1.jpeg
    56C3917B-8406-4E9A-9E09-86D35E3897A1.jpeg
    452.8 KB · Views: 27
Rx-2800. Have had mine over a year. Animals will be no problem at 1000. They won’t be a problem at 1500.
There’s no prs match I’m aware of that will come closer to making out the range of this range finder. They have basically the same shit warranty as Leica.

More inclined towards the leica 2700 thats shown than a Vortex 4000. Have used sig 2200, 2400, no issues, old Leica geovids, again no issues, old Swaro 8x30, good to about 800, presently use sig kilo 3000 and terrapin x, equally great, kilos are a decent bino for hunting with a great lrf, terrapin for matches

Thanks guys. Interesting to see the Leupold RX-2800 getting so many recommendations. Its good to hear because it seemed to me that Leupold has been on a bit of a down hill slide for a while

I have the Leupold 2800RXw and sweeping back and forth across an IPSC steel target at 1060 a few times you can tell the difference between the target and the berm behind it. I have never ranged anything small beyond that. Trees at 2840 came right up when I was playing with it one day.

I am looking for a rangefinder that will range animals to around 1000 yards. It will be used primarily to hunt with, but also for checking targets in PRS matches. Looking for a good value option, but reliability and warranty are factors I am considering. Technology in this area is changing so much now and new options seem to be coming out often, so wanting to see whats being recommended right now.

From what I have found, Vortex / SIG / Leica seem to be popular options. SIG seem to be having a lot of ongoing issues with rangefinders failing or at least thats my perception. That has me leaning towards something like the Vortex 4000 as they seem to work and have a great warranty.

Any thoughts welcome

I got the sig 3000BDX binos for dual purpose matches/hunting and for Bluetooth capability with a kestrel. I love them so far and they haven’t let me down. I can’t speak to sig customer service as I haven’t had to use it.

I'll be the guy who makes the Vortex 4000 recommendation lol. I've owned a Sig and a Leica before I bought the Vortex, and so far, I'm happy with it. I don't need it to connect to my Kestrel. I don't need it to have a ballistic computer built into it. All I need it to do is give me an accurate range to target, and it does that well. I've reviewed it on here and it's done well for me.

My biggest issue with it is the same as people have with other LRFs: the beam and the reticle don't line up. My beam is at the reticle's 1:30 to 2 o'clock and slightly outside the circle, which is fine since I know where it is, but that's something you learn from use. I've had no issues ranging steel out to 1900 yards once I found where to aim. I used it today on steel in the 1400 to 1500 range and if I hold down the fire button and sweep my targets, I can pick them up easily.

I have a Leopold and it works great. My only complaint is that on a sunny day the reticle is not very bright. However I would still not hesitate to purchase another one. A friend of mine has a sig the glass is not as good as mine and he has had to send it back to sig because it was not ranging correctly

Thanks guys. Interesting to see the Leupold RX-2800 getting so many recommendations. Its good to hear because it seemed to me that Leupold has been on a bit of a down hill slide for a while
I was hesitant to get a 2800 for that reason but glad I did.
It’s quite amazing for the sale prices you can get it for.
Animals at 1000 is easy.
Steel at a mile is easy.
Hits at 2000+ aren’t difficult.

Reactions: simonp
I bought a Leupold 2800 a couple of years ago for prairie dog shooting. It was great. The next year I bought Vortex rangefinder binos. They were also great and let me skip a step.

For example, with monocular rangefinder: Find PDs with binos, refind & range, refind & shoot. With Vortex rangefinder binos: Find/range PDs with binos, refind & shoot.

They both range farther than I can shoot.

i'm using a sig kilo 2400abs for an all-in-one solution. it has worked fine for me so far but i honestly haven't tried to range animals.
you do need to use you phone to input wind direction and speed if you don't want to refer to a card or have wind calls in your head already.
the only "bug" i have had was the app sort of freezing up when i had added another profile (175gr FGMM, 147gr M80 ball, etc) and tried to sync them to the rangefinder. I had to reboot my cellphone to get the app unstuck. no problems using it, and the wind meter works on my samsung.
i would have gotten the leupold if i need to range out beyond 1200 yards.

Reactions: tinytigers
Thanks again. Since posting this and getting the recommendations, I have been doing a lot of reading up on the Vortex 4000, Leupold 2800 and the Leica 2800.com. From what I have read, all would do the job I need them to, but I am going to go with the Leupold. It seems like a solid step up on the vortex, and I dont think I need the connectivity which seems like the main benefit of the Leica over other models. Hopefully I dont regret the decision.

I haven't tried mine on animals, but my Nitro 1800 has done steel at 1200+ and semi-reflective targets at 2k, and I'm pretty sure it qualifies for the mail in rebate Bushnell just announced.

Any thoughts welcome

Any thoughts welcome
I've got the sig 3000 binos had them for about a year no issues
Used them at several PRS match's and a long range class.
Was no problem to hit steel and rocks out to a mile +

Rangefinding binos work better for the money and between the Sig and the Vortex 10x42 RF binos you really can't go wrong! However I do prefer the vortex furies more for PRS/Hunting type game, just better quality in my opinion.

We just took in a mint used Leica 8x56 Geovid HD-B 3000 Rangefinder Binocular that we can offer you for only $1,599.99

Key Features
  • Perger-Porro Prism Configuration
  • HDC Fully Multi-Coated Optics
  • Class 1 Eye-Safe IR Laser
  • Displays Range in Yards or Meters
  • Moderate 8x power magnifies without sacrificing field of view and exit pupil for easier viewing, especially in low-light conditions
  • Large 56mm objective lenses draw in large amounts of light required for low-light use such as during the pre-dawn and dusk hours, or when peering into dense brush
  • Perger-Porro prism optical design combines the rich depth of field of a Porro prism light path while maintaining the more compact straight-line optical tube of a roof prism, without the phase interference, to minimize light loss and internal diffraction
  • HDC fully multi-coated system has abrasion-resistant and anti-reflection properties to protect exterior lens surfaces, and maximize light transmission with a natural neutral color fidelity and improved contrast
  • Internal baffle system suppresses stray light for improved contrast
  • Hydrophobic AquaDura coating on external optical surfaces allows dirt, dust, and fingerprints to be removed easily without leaving residue on the lens surfaces
  • 354' field of view at 1000 yd
  • Class 1 eye-safe infrared laser
  • Displays distance in yards or meters
  • Range: 10 to 3000 yd
  • Accuracy: 10 to 550 yd
  • Accuracy: 550 to 1100 yd
  • Accuracy: 1100 yd
  • Spot mode for range to single subject; Scan mode for continuous measurement to multiple or moving targets
  • Metering time averages 0.5 seconds
  • Integrated inclinometer measures the angle relative to the target
  • Equivalent Horizontal Range (EHR) mode uses angle and range to calculate an adjusted horizontal distance to target for improved accuracy from 10 to 1200 yd
  • Four-digit LED overlay with auto-brightness adjustment
  • Simple and intuitive two-button right-handed user interface
  • Runs on one included CR2 battery
  • Combines data from rangefinder, inclinometer, temperature, and atmospheric pressure with installed ballistic curves to provide hold-over/-under compensation values
  • Compensation values displayed as hold-over, adjusted distance to target (EHR), or MOA/mils for the number of clicks required on the riflescope turrets
  • 12 pre-installed fixed ballistic curves based on the most popular round loads allows for easy ballistic drop compensation (BDC)
  • Ballistic calculator on Leica website enables user to build custom curves for specific loads, save them to a microSD card, and load them onto the optic via its card slot
  • Open-bridge/dual-hinge configuration reduces weight while providing a solid platform for the internal focusing system and rangefinder
  • Slip-resistant center focus wheel is easy to use with high precision, even when wearing gloves
  • ±4 dioptric correction enables user to compensate for optical prescriptions for sharper views
  • Twist-up 4-position click-stop rubber eyecups for use with or without eyewear
  • Long 18mm eye relief makes long-duration viewing easier and more comfortable
  • Expansive 7mm exit pupil ensures complete coverage as pupils open and fully dilate in low light to keep the entire scene in the view with vignetting
  • Bridge design provides increased strength and more gripping surface area
  • Lightweight and durable magnesium alloy housing
  • Slip-resistant and protective rubber armoring
  • Nitrogen-filled and O-ring sealed to be waterproof and submersible to 16.5', and resistant to internal fogging when moving through extreme changes in temperature or environmental conditions
  • Weight: 42.5 ounces, with battery

Reactions: TagalongJC
i ordered the Leupold RX-2800 TBR today. I was going back and forth between the Vortex 4000 HD and the Leupold 2800.

I haven't tried mine on animals, but my Nitro 1800 has done steel at 1200+ and semi-reflective targets at 2k, and I'm pretty sure it qualifies for the mail in rebate Bushnell just announced.
Just received one of these yesterday, nice little unit. This is my first range finder, I got it on sale (Dvor) for 310, and now comes the about 90ish mail in rebate. Not bad at all and since I do not shoot competitions it will just be fine I hope.
No comes the hard part, figuring out how this works together with the kestrel 5700 elite I received in Jan.
Didn't find much info on it....

I purchased the Vortex 4000 and have been satisfied with it so far. I use this unit in connection with a Kestrel/Hornady 5700 4DOF. The 4000 does not communicate with the Kestrel and that's one of the main reasons I chose it. I prefer to enter range and angle data myself. My normal shooting range is between 600 - 1,000 yards.

Just received one of these yesterday, nice little unit. This is my first range finder, I got it on sale (Dvor) for 310, and now comes the about 90ish mail in rebate. Not bad at all and since I do not shoot competitions it will just be fine I hope.
No comes the hard part, figuring out how this works together with the kestrel 5700 elite I received in Jan.
Didn't find much info on it....

There's a user manual on the Bushnell site.

Off course that’s the first thing I read, but nothing in there about setting the unit up with the kestrel.

Just guessing. Put the RF in BT on mode.

In the kestrel main menu, toggle bluetooth on and click on BT. Then toggle it to “device” and click on device, then just follow steps to new device.

I like my 2400ABS. I’m thinking about going to bino range finders just because I use a kestrel anyways and it seems like it would be easier to range animals at distance with better magnification.