• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend a scope for a M1A rifle build

slowjunk

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2017
I am looking for a recommendation for a scope sub $2500 for a M1A/M14 build that is a heavy barrel in a McMillan M3A. This is a “precision M1A” but not a precision rifle in the sense commonly used unless I get luck with the tolerance stackups. I am looking for something European, US, or Japanese that fits the rifle and kind of use a semi-auto can have. I like good dials and good illumination and FFP. Hopefully a reticle and illumination combo that works on low magnification and high magnification. It should also be robust. When I started thinking about this more than a few years ago I was looking towards something like the Steiner M5xi 3-15, but the world has moved on since then both on quality and prices.

I looked at that scope, but when I read on this sight I saw many negatives regarding durability on Leupold scopes. Thanks for the suggestion.
Tag TonyBen

LOL.......... You are reading in all the wrong places.
That M14 platform eats scopes for breakfast.
Why ? Because, for lack of a better term, that weapon puts a reverse recoil on a scope. Kind of like a forward slap then a backwards slap.
Scopes that are not designed to handle that rapid reverse will not last long.
Go talk to these guys: https://www.m14forum.com/forums/

I looked at that scope, but when I read on this sight I saw many negatives regarding durability on Leupold scopes. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am running two of them on gas guns, 556 & 6.8 with zero issues

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
The Army likes Leupold scopes just fine and the leupold mark 4 was used on the DMR. If you can jump out of an airplane with it, it's fairly rugged. I have Leupold Mark 4's on 3 of my M1A's.
1698793309719.png

Tag TonyBen

LOL.......... You are reading in all the wrong places.
That M14 platform eats scopes for breakfast.
Why ? Because, for lack of a better term, that weapon puts a reverse recoil on a scope. Kind of like a forward slap then a backwards slap.
Scopes that are not designed to handle that rapid reverse will not last long.
Go talk to these guys: https://www.m14forum.com/forums/
I had never heard about the M14 eating scopes. I had heard about the FN SCAR being a scope eating monster. The FN SCAR in 7.62 replaced the M14 on some places and having the scope eating reputation show up after the M14 says a lot.

Regarding “reading in the wrong places” about Leupold I have been reading here on Snipershide. Most every scope related thread that include a mention of Leupold gets some shade. There are even threads on this issue which is a shame. I think all these vendors are making stuff now we wished we had 10 or 15 years ago. It is great they can keep making progress.

I had never heard about the M14 eating scopes. I had heard about the FN SCAR being a scope eating monster. The FN SCAR in 7.62 replaced the M14 on some places and having the scope eating reputation show up after the M14 says a lot.

Regarding “reading in the wrong places” about Leupold I have been reading here on Snipershide. Most every scope related thread that include a mention of Leupold gets some shade. There are even threads on this issue which is a shame. I think all these vendors are making stuff now we wished we had 10 or 15 years ago. It is great they can keep making progress.

When you charge so much extra for illumination that doesn't rub the right way. When some of theirs are so expensive for what they are ( I think the mk8's) that's not good as well. They also made mismatched reticle and turrets once upon a time. I have one of those from when I didn't know better.

All that said Lowlight has said that the mk5 is a pretty good scope.

I read the review by Glassaholic about the Leupold Mark 5HD and it was very positive. It looks like a good scope. Another option that came up was a Burris XTRIII illuminated which I was told was very good and eve cheaper than the Leupold. The other contender seems to be the Nightforce 4-16x42 which had great reviews of the glass and the turrets.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonp
Also be aware that the brass likely will hit your windage turret, and it will start to destroy it. That's why i have a Leupold HD 3 15 on mine now. They come with good turret covers, and it doesn't stick out that far. No more problems.

Not alot of love for Leupold on the hide. Alot i get expensive for illumination, don't like reticle choices, but durability not a problem in my experience.

Mark 5 or Mark 6.
Mark 5.... Site says Mark 6 is discontinued.
The 5 goes well with the 14 platform.
But again, what's the mission ?

Reactions: JFR and simonp
IMG_3699.jpeg

This old Mk4 2.5x8x36 has plenty of miles on my M1A and hasn't failed yet . I think A lot of the beating a scope apart is nothing but old wife's tale's or eBay optic's

True
View attachment 8262362
This old Mk4 2.5x8x36 has plenty of miles on my M1A and hasn't failed yet . I think A lot of the beating a scope apart is nothing but old wife's tale's or eBay optic's
True... That has been a issue for several years.

Excellent choice BTW.

I recall seeing an open box DEMO for $250 cheaper also at Cameraland.

$2249.99 plus shipping - guessing plus tax only if you live in NY.

"Nightforce Optics ATACR 4-16x42mm F1 - ZeroHold - .1 Mil-Radian - DigIllum - PTL - Mil-R ( OPEN BOX ) - Camera Land NY" https://cameralandny.com/shop/nightforce-optics-atacr-4-16x42mm-f1-zerohold-1-mil-radian-digillum-ptl-mil-r-open-box/1adfbcd0-48d6-013c-b162-00163ecd2826?variation=3575911&query=ATACR open bix

Here's a little cheaper and free shipping capped windage - if you prefer an Xmas tree reticle type reticle instead and Cameraland is out of stock on this particular model anyways. $2199.99 free shipping - they may or may not eat the tax though.

"Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42mm F1 Riflescope ZeroHold .1 Mil-Radian Capped Windage DigIllum 12 Mil PTL Mil-XT Like New Demo C615 For Sale | SHIPS FREE - EuroOptic.com" https://www.eurooptic.com/Nightforce-ATACR-4-16x42mm-F1-Riflescope-ZeroHold-Like-New-Demo-C615.aspx

IMHO DEMO or OPEN BOX or PRE-OWNED models shouldn't even have taxes added on to them since they aren't brand spanking new.

Last edited:
Reactions: kl7883