• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend a semi-auto for snow country hunting

unrepentant

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2008
ms
I've got a friend in Japan who wants to buy a semi-auto rifle. He can only buy one only, forever. A lot of his hunting season is in snowy weather. He'll hunt boar, deer, and bear at a range no longer than 300yd. He is prohibited from M1A's and ARs in any configuration. (Military configurations are illegal) Caliber choice is still open.

He's leaning towards a Browning BAR in the Stalker series for its' composite stock, painted barrel, and light weight. Do ya'll have any better suggestions? I was trying to lean him towards a BAR Safari w/BOSS in .308, but he's worried about beating it up and the wet weather.

What say you? I'm looking for suggestions from the sporting/hunting semi-auto rifle field. I don't have any experience with them and aside from Googling a brand name and "semi-auto" I haven't a clue where to start in order to devise a list of quality rifles.

Thank you.

Re: Recommend a semi-auto for snow country hunting

how about an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel? can build to suit as far as weight and barrel length go

FNAR?

Has he considered a lever action?

Is he being limited on owning any military look-alike guns by Japanese laws?

Depending on how big the bears are, an AR-15 in 6.8 SPC might work too.

If he can only ever buy one rifle get the AR platform and then just buy different uppers for different jobs but something right off the bat for knockdown 6.8 should be solid I would think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: unrepentant</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-weight: bold">He can only buy one only, forever</span>.</div></div>

Guys...The poor guy might get only one shot at a gun. Add the possibility that parts and ammo might be scarce for his new firearm.

Geez..this is a rock and a hard place for this poor fellow.

Wow, 3 of 4 people can't do their homework. Shocking.

Japan has an assault rifle ban, AR platforms are subject to many restrictions when they are allowed at all.

The dude needs a "civilian" type semi auto rifle, one that is reliable and durable since we've been told he can only have the one.

I think the browning is a good choice, it is a fairly old design that many hunters have had great success with. I would recommend stainless if it can be had that way, since it will be far more resilient to weather, corrosion, etc.

I should have made this more plain I guess. AR platforms of <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> kind are completely prohibited for civilian use... (former) military rifles are prohibited. He and I did discuss lever-action guns, but he'd prefer a semi-auto. I don't know the sporting rifle field very well, so I'm looking for suggestions that fit those guidelines.

The quote below pretty much sums up the pickle he's facing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, 3 of 4 people can't do their homework. Shocking.

Japan has an assault rifle ban, AR platforms are subject to many restrictions when they are allowed at all.

The dude needs a "civilian" type semi auto rifle, one that is reliable and durable since we've been told he can only have the one.

I think the browning is a good choice, it is a fairly old design that many hunters have had great success with. I would recommend stainless if it can be had that way, since it will be far more resilient to weather, corrosion, etc. </div></div>

Look up FNAR, it's not a military rifle (that's why a bunch of us are saying FNAR)

I realize that your friend wants a semi-auto rifle. Certainly, the FNAR is a good option. However, IMHO, if I can't have a decent semi-auto, then a bolt rifle is the way to go, in my book. It's damn reliable. Add a DBM, you can shoot it very damn fast too, in case the zombie are attacking. LOL. I am glad then that I don't live in Japan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look up FNAR, it's not a military rifle (that's why a bunch of us are saying FNAR) </div></div>

The FNAR is based on the Browning BAR, so I don't know that it makes much difference there...

I think in his situation what he has already come up with is a great weapon for hunting. My Father-in-Law hunts with one in 30-06 and it can go from Bears to Deer. And, lots of ammo is available for that rifle.

Thanks for the FNAR suggestions, Guys! I apologize; I mistook the small picture I found on GB for a bolt gun. The FN website has much better pics (and specs) which I forwarded to my friend along with the projected summer 'release' date for the FNAR Match (w/McMillan stock).

That FNAR Match looks like a great compromise between a Browning BAR and a Godzilla composite stock with implied accuracy above and beyond a Stalker.

Much appreciated!!

As I understand it, the delayed roller blowback action is the most reliable in cold weather. I have seen an HK rifle that (as I recall) took G3 mags that was a sporting type rifle. Wood, machined receiver, etc. It was a pretty neat rifle, might try that...

To only have one rifle I think I'd look at a bolt action if the primary purpose is hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I realize that your friend wants a semi-auto rifle. Certainly, the FNAR is a good option. However, IMHO, if I can't have a decent semi-auto, then a bolt rifle is the way to go, in my book. It's damn reliable. Add a DBM, you can shoot it very damn fast too, in case the zombie are attacking. LOL. I am glad then that I don't live in Japan. </div></div>
+1 A good bolt action is the practical choice for a versatile hunting rifle. You can still get fancy with a Sako, tubegun, etc if desired.

go with the bar 308... if moneys an issue maybe winchester m100 or remington 742 on gunbroker 350 to 600

My fist pick would be a Heckler & Koch Model 770, since it’s been around for a while. A Sauer S 303 would also be great although they sell for $4000. If he can’t get either of those rifles then I have some other ideas, but they won’t be as nice.

Mini 14 or Mini 30. make sure to get the newer 581 model for the improvements.

BAR, 300 win or 338 win mag, he only gets one for a life time, hunting bears and the like, these two are proven medicine. They are also not military calibers (with the exception of the 300 win now being used for the M24), so a ban on military ammo, or caliber (as some countries have)wouldn't be a problem now, or in the future. I would also add:get the BOSS at time of purchase.