• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend a watch that can plot a location

WB300

Cranky Yankee
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2011
GA
I am looking for a wrist watch that can plot a location. Think this... I set up base camp, plot its location then go rambling high and low, to and fro. It's dark before I make it back to camp. I hit a button on the watch and BAM... it gives me a direction to go.

Now, I will have a map of the area and a compass which I know how to use. But I like to have back-ups.

I would also like to have the watch be able to have compass, altimeter, pressure...etc. I have a Suunto but it's old and the software doesn't work like it used to. I know there is the Casio Pathfinder or what they now call the Pro Trek models, but I don't see where they can plot a point.

Let's keep the budget under $500 and I don't want to have to sign up for a service. Does anyone know if there is a watch that can do that?

I understand that Garmin, On X...etc can all do that, but I need a new watch.

Thanks in advance.

Garmin would be my suggestion, I run the Tactix Delta AB for shooting stuff but also use it to plot points for an Adventure race and track all my hikes. It will do that and more depending on what model you get. Should be able to find a Fenix 5 or Fenix 6 for under $400 with a little searching.

Garmin would be my suggestion, I run the Tactix Delta AB for shooting stuff but also use it to plot points for an Adventure race and track all my hikes. It will do that and more depending on what model you get. Should be able to find a Fenix 5 or Fenix 6 for under $400 with a little searching.
I second this. Its been an awesome watch for me.

Reactions: enginerd
The Garmin Instinct is cheap, has long battery life, and can navigate to a waypoint. It's what I wear every day.

I do like the Tactix Delta, but for me, it's a bit much for daily wear.

I have had a Garmin Instinct, and have a Fenix6 now. Both have been awesome. Maybe next year I'll get the Tactix Delta. Tons of features the Fenix has a decent battery life. I use mine a bunch and average about a week on a charge. The Instinct did seem to have a longer battery life.

I have had a Garmin Instinct, and have a Fenix6 now. Both have been awesome. Maybe next year I'll get the Tactix Delta. Tons of features the Fenix has a decent battery life. I use mine a bunch and average about a week on a charge. The Instinct did seem to have a longer battery life.
Was looking at those two today at local shop. They had the fenix 6 for $350 and the tactical for $250 which I felt was a good price. If you could have only one of the two which would you pick. Price not going into the factor really? Thanks

Nice thing on the Fenix is the color maps and the larger screen. The Instinct is built for some more rugged use. I went from the Instinct to the Fenix for the color screen and some of the additional fitness features that I routinely use.

I got you fam

iu

Reactions: spife7980
Garmin has a new version of the Instinct:

Looks to be a meaningful upgrade over the 1st-gen Instinct. Since Garmin usually has some software issues to work through after new product launches, it might be best to give them a few months.

Thanks all. Definitely going with a Garmin. Just need to decide between the Tactix Bravo or Instinct 2 Tactical

Any analog watch with hands will work as a make-do compass.
Luckily I found this so I don't have to type so much.

young people and gps what was wrong with paper maps lol no recalulating no course correcting , and no batteries . sure they turn to mush when wet and road work on bridges that had been removed 20 years pack could present problems but that's what all wheel drive was made for lol