• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend another Caliber (Target/Handloads)

quikcolin

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2018
London, Ontario
Hey guys,

I’m wildly itchy to add another rifle to the collection. I exclusively bench rest target shoot, hunting for tight groups. I reload and really enjoy it.

Currently I have the following rifles and was hoping you guys could recommend a caliber that would make sense to the collection (keeping in mind I would like to reload)

Currently Rifles:

Tikka T1X - honestly lol, I love it. I got lucky and mine loves CCI SV. Basically free to run.

Tikka T3X Varmint Stainless in .223 - tack driver with 55g VMax in front of 26.1g of CFE223.

Tikka T3X CTR 24” 6.5 Creedmoor - the most impressive of them all. Consistently group .3 MOA at 100 yards with a handload.

I’m at a loss for a caliber that makes sense to fill in the gap between the 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Something that has bullets, cases and powder fairly readily available and doesn’t want to blow my shoulder off. I can only reach out to 300yards at my local range. I’ve even considered some obscure calibers like .22 Hornet…. But think a larger caliber is more the direction I want to go. Maybe? Haha. I don’t know.

Thanks guys, appreciate your help

Reactions: gopherslayer
What chamber on the T1X? Is that 22…..I don’t know anything about rimfire.

If short range BR is your game, how do you not have a 6 PPC (perhaps the best short range BR chambering ever created) or even a 6BR?

In the “don’t overlook these” category: 6ARC looks cool, 6 Dasher, 6BRA, 6CM fills the gap between .223 and 6.5CM pretty well and likely uses a powder you already have.

6.5x47? .243 WIN, something in 25 caliber…having something of a resurgence in popularity…

Bottom line, there are a lot of cool choices between .223 and .264.

ETA: 224 Valk?

What chamber on the T1X? Is that 22…..I don’t know anything about rimfire.

If short range BR is your game, how do you not have a 6 PPC (perhaps the best short range BR chambering ever created) or even a 6BR?

In the “don’t overlook these” category: 6ARC looks cool, 6 Dasher, 6BRA, 6CM fills the gap between .223 and 6.5CM pretty well and likely uses a powder you already have.

6.5x47? .243 WIN, something in 25 caliber…having something of a resurgence in popularity…

Bottom line, there are a lot of cool choices between .223 and .264.

ETA: 224 Valk?

Thanks so much for your reply. .243 was on my list… Those 6BR’s aren’t available at a local gun shop, are they? They’re something you have custom made…

PS - Yeah the T1X is .22LR

Reactions: OREGUN
There are a LOT of good barrels being made in almost any of the 6mm variants. So, while you might not be able to walk in to Cabelas and buy a complete rifle, you don’t have to go “custom”. You could buy an action/chassis combo on here and then go find a barrel to screw onto it (either off the shelf from PROOF, for example, or by calling Southern Precision, another example, and having them chamber a blank for you from their off the shelf selection) and shoot any chambering that looked interesting. Off the shelf rifle might narrow the choices…6CM, .243 WIN…

Reactions: Newbie2020
I suggest that rather than add another bargain priced rifle in a new chambering, you instead invest in a better rifle with a cartridge with which you are already familiar.

Reactions: krw
Seriously though, if you want teeny tiny groups at 300 yards, you will go to accurateshooter.com or theshooterscorner.com and buy a used but serviceable 6PPC benchrest gun and enjoy a rabbit hole of reloading and rifle tuning that you never dreamed possible…and shoot groups in the .2” size range…at 300 yards.

Last edited:
Between 6.5mm and 5.56mm you're talking about a 6mm - that's just math, man ;-). Everyone else already covered the HUGE number of choices in the 6mm bore. Definitely seems like you need a BR variant though (or PPC), since BR out to 300 is your jam.

Reactions: quikcolin
25 creedmoor, 25x47, 257 ackley, 25-06 with a fast twist 👍🏻. You’ll thank me later 😂

A 6mm BR is what you need.

Or hell, a regular old 308 winchester would not be half bad. You could also go bananas with a 458 Socom, to spice it up.

Reactions: quikcolin
I'd look at it with respect to the projectiles you're shooting. You have 55 through 147 grains covered, with heavies being shot at lower velocities. So, either something to drive those relative heavies faster, like a 6XC or Creed for 105-110's, 25 SST for Blackjack 131's / Berger 135's, 6.5 SAUM for 156 EOL's, or something for larger projectiles. Wildcat short mag or simple WSM for 7mm or 30cal. 168-225 grains...

I would look at 6 🌈🐅 since there is factory ammo for it now and it uses regular AICS SA magazines. You can also get brass form several manufactures now.

6GT, ride the 🐅 over the 🌈! :ROFLMAO:

Something a little more stout? 308 with 168s or 175s. Something in between? 22 creedmoor with 80-90 grainers. Hell, you could use whatever projectiles you use for your 223 if you're only going to 300yds.

ETA: 6ARC would be another option I would consider in your situation.

Last edited:
Since you have Tikkas all you need to do is buy new barrels. And if that’s the only additional cost, buy all of them!

Off the top of my head you could get a 6br variant, 25x47L, 260ai(a little hotter than creedmoor) and you could single feed 280ai & .30-06(or the ai chamber). This list alone will take any North American animal and give you a lifetime of reloading projects

I’m running a 1:7 twist 22-250 with 90 gr A-Tip at 3050 fps. Pretty slick. Weight of a 6mm in 5.56 profile (.243 vs. .223/.224). Been playing with it recently but only out to 500 so far.

Building a 6 Creedmoor currently….

maybe 6 br if you really like bench rest shooting long life for the barrel and a great track record or one of those newer 7mm's they are using in f class sounds like a lot of fun . I am going to go 7mm saum mostly cause It will drop into my mdt chassis that I am curently using for my 6.5 creedmoor both can use short action just a heavier bullet moving faster but I want it for when I get the chance to get to a range that's further out than my current available ranges. best of luck with what ever calaber you decide to go with send pics and details .

I’m at a loss for a caliber that makes sense to fill in the gap between the 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Something that has bullets, cases and powder fairly readily available and doesn’t want to blow my shoulder off. I can only reach out to 300yards at my local range.
Why not a .308? Components (other than primers) are easy to come by and it would be fairly easy to sell if you decide you don't like it. Lots of barrel life with a .308.(y)

25-06 with a fast twist
.25-06 is never thought off as a target round, but cases are everywhere and easy to create out of .30-06 / .270 / 280 and probably 35 Whelen. All’s one needs is a .25-06 trim die. Fast twist barrel and heavy for caliber bullets (which seem to be more plentiful and readily available than 6.5 bullets. Next choice with be a 25 Creedmoor. Lots of range pick up cases floating around.

Reactions: Stevo86
I hav e come a long way with my Tikka T3 22-250 1:8 twist. Shoots hole in hole with both Hornady 75 grains BTHP and 75 grains Bergers wld. Working on 77 grains scenarL
So fond if it, I am getting a Rem. 700 chambered the same way.

6mm ARC. Ammo is available 105gr and 108gr. Smaller, lighter ammo

Revamp an older AR. All it takes is a new barrel, bolt and magazines.

Reactions: 2c1fr
If 300 is your go to range I'd do a 30br or 6br. For 100 6ppc or 6br.

For short range build the barrel for it. 6mm -14 twist with 64-68 grain. 30 cal 15 twist with 125

If you are wanting cheap do a 6arc. 6br was also a factory chamber in savage. 6ppc was factory in sako, Cooper and ruger.

If you ever want to get into ubr factory class it has to have the factory stamped barrel..

Thanks
James

Another option is a 222, not much different than 223 but has longer neck and shorter powder column. Held many records before the ppc came around.

You can find them decent price in remington 722 or 40x

Thanks
James

Thanks so much for your reply. .243 was on my list… Those 6BR’s aren’t available at a local gun shop, are they? They’re something you have custom made…

PS - Yeah the T1X is .22LR
Savage Model 12 Benchrest or F class come in 6mm Norma BR. F class also in 6.5-284 Norma

Stay away from the BR variants if you want your gun to feed without having to dick around with feed lips, mag kits or special mags.

This is even more important if you stick with Tikka as their mags are more finicky than AICS pattern.

You could get a shouldered prefit for your tikkla and swap out the barrel with a few cheap tools and 5 minutes of your time.

If you got the 6mm itch and want something that shoots softer, uses less power and still is easy to load for, the 6 GT is an easy answer. The 6 creed or a XC would work but you already have a 6.5.

Good brass from Alpha, Can run Varget or H4350, easy to load, Runs the 109 and 115s with ease and can get to 3K without pushing pressures too high to preserve brass life. Barrel life will be around 2-2500. A bit less than a BR but more than a creed without any of the feeding issues.

Hey guys,

I’m wildly itchy to add another rifle to the collection. I exclusively bench rest target shoot, hunting for tight groups. I reload and really enjoy it.

Currently I have the following rifles and was hoping you guys could recommend a caliber that would make sense to the collection (keeping in mind I would like to reload)

Currently Rifles:

Tikka T1X - honestly lol, I love it. I got lucky and mine loves CCI SV. Basically free to run.

Tikka T3X Varmint Stainless in .223 - tack driver with 55g VMax in front of 26.1g of CFE223.

Tikka T3X CTR 24” 6.5 Creedmoor - the most impressive of them all. Consistently group .3 MOA at 100 yards with a handload.

I’m at a loss for a caliber that makes sense to fill in the gap between the 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Something that has bullets, cases and powder fairly readily available and doesn’t want to blow my shoulder off. I can only reach out to 300yards at my local range. I’ve even considered some obscure calibers like .22 Hornet…. But think a larger caliber is more the direction I want to go. Maybe? Haha. I don’t know.

Thanks guys, appreciate your help
.250 Savage

I’m kind of in the same boat, but pretty much only hunt. Go to the range to set zero, and plink a bit, but mostly just hunt with rifles.

Looks like you have SA covered…. If I was in your shoes (and I kind of am…and will be even more so some time next year when the parts come in for my current build), I’d find a long action caliber that looks interesting.

Plenty of options out there, but the 300 PRC is what’s catching my eye.

Love the 300 Win Mag, and shot it a bit out of friend’s rifles, but since I don’t own a LA myself, eyeing that 300 PRC …can load some of the heavier .308 bullets I already shoot (and am stacked deep with) for fun, but load long, high bc bullets for longer distance shooting.

Edit: or if you only shoot at 300 yards or less, just get a .308. A lot cheaper to shoot and get components; you could even just rebarrel your current 6.5CM rifle if you wanted.

Were I in your shoes, I would go one of three routes:

1) If you want insane precision and a light recoiling round, go 6 BR or 6 BRA. The BRA has more case capacity, and thus a speed advantage over the BR. You have to fire form the BRA, which turns some people off - until you own one and realize that the fire forming rounds are nearly as good as the ones you load develop to after forming. I used to own a 6 CM - sold it after I got the BRA. The BRA blows it away from a precision perspective and is only about 150 fps slower (mid-2900s vs upper 3000s). Couldn't justify keeping the CM as I knew I'd never shoot it.

2) Go big. A bit of a waste if you're never going to go longer than 300 yards, but if/when you do have the chance, you'll have the time of your life, properly equipped with something like a 300 PRC, 7 SAUM, or the like.

3) Get a 308. Great for practicing fundamentals.

Not if you buy Alpha OCD.
True, though if I can get Lapua brass, I get Lapua brass. Also, I use the fire forming rounds to speed up a new barrel and/or practice, then use that brass though the barrel life.

Now for a fun BRA story:

Was at the local range last week to re-zero after remounting the scope on my 300 PRC. I also had 25 rounds left over for my 6 BRA, so I brought it along to burn through them. The guys in the stall next to me were shooting a scoped AR and quite happy with themselves for being "in the black" on a 12" target at 100 yards. I asked if one of them if he wanted to try my BRA, to which he eagerly agreed.

He had a different POI vs. me and his round went about an inch low - though he was still quite happy with the result. I told him to fire a second.

"It missed!"

I got behind the rifle and zoomed in with the scope.

"It didn't miss, it's in the same hole."

He was amazed that such was possible. I told him that it was no fluke, and that while the rifle is fully capable of that, it still take the shooter to make it happen. We were firing at 3 inch targets and I had a bunch of them taped up, so kept that one as-is. When the cease fire hit, he was quite happy to take that target home with a story to tell.

I'd encourage you to open your horizons. The Alpha OCD I've tested thus far has proven to be the very best brass available anywhere.

I have about 500 new Lapua BR sitting on my shelf, but I might try the Alpha anyway so I can do a direct comparison. The discovery aspects of precision shooting are some of the most fun parts.

OP, the itch you're trying to scratch is hard to fulfill at 300Y by knowing what rifles and calibers you already have.
Though it can't be helped wanting to try new stuff, right?!

Yep my 6mmBR custom actioned yadayada is more precise than my friends Tikka CTR but not much more and my rifle is 4 times more expensive, same with my scope vs his scope. My 6mmBR I don't really shoot inside 300Y because there's hardly any challenge.

Two of my fun guns inside of 300Y are my 20-221 Fireball AI and my 25 cal Uragan King pcp air rifle.
Both of these have low ES which is something I don't like about 22rf ammo.

I have a greatly reduced load with 32gr at 2330 fps for the 20 cal which has low-ish SD at 8, groups .4" at 100Y, and it blows in the wind quite a bit which is the challenge I want. I've shot a few small groups at 300Y with it, like just over an inch, but it was calm out and first thing in the morn. Then if I want I get the regular load which is 32's at 3750 fps. I only use 6.5 grs of powder for the reduced load and 18.8 grs with the regular load. I can shoot a ton before the barrel even gets warm, it gets long barrel life, brass lasts, recoil and noise is low, not much to not love with this cartridge!

With the pcp I use 29gr swaged lead bullets/slugs. These are very consistent projectiles in weight, etc. The G1 BC is only .075 and the ES is 10 fps!!! So this combo is super fun/challenging because the vertical is good at distance but these blow like crazy in the wind! The gun is almost silent, less recoil than a 22rf, and gets 100 shots per fill. A month or so ago I out shot my friend with it at 300Y and he was using his Anschutz 22rf. Why?? its because his ES is 45 fps. His blows less in the wind but he's got more than twice the vertical that I have. Since the wind was constant when I shot I connected more on the 7" diamond shaped steel than he did. That is a good feeling!!!

I'd get a no holds barred Wheeler 6mmBRA BR rifle if I wanted the ultimate centerfire 300Y set up. Almost did at one point.

Just Get a new barrel foryour tikka in whatever flavor you want. I really like my 224 Valk sending 80s at 3000 fps but not sure there is a value add between what you have.

Tikka is a great action to build intermediate length on and I am starting on a 6.5 prc and 7 saum. Prc for hunting and saum for target. Love tikkas.

Reactions: The D
My buddy brought me 25 Creedmoor and 22 Creedmoor. The 22 CM very similar to my 22-250 ballistically, however the 25 Creedmoor was intriguing. Not sure about the selection of 25 cal (0.257) projectiles. Seems kinda cool though. Gap filler….

True-ish. I wouldn’t call 200 fps filling a gap necessarily.

Load data I just check states 22 Creedmoor pushing 95 gr Sierra at 3,070. I’m running 90 gr A-Tip at 3,050 (with a little room; nor too much). Very comparable.

Also for the sake of discussion and “filling a gap” I was bracketing. 22 Creedmoor is cool. Not cool enough to buy one when I’m running a 22-250. Not enough “gap”

I’m bracketing these cartridges the same as I would a 300 WM, 300 RUM, 30 Nosler, 300 PRC and 300 Norma. They seem to fall in the same bracket to me; not equals.

Last edited:
That’s some bad data
Maybe so….

I don’t shoot or load one so, couldn’t tell your for sure. Read down stats and store in general memory.

My statement stands, but you can continue policing peoples personal perspectives.

Read it yourself:

3A57B36A-698B-41E5-8330-AD3AEC61B08D.jpeg

Last edited: