• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend me a bullet

Cranedaddy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2013
Gun is a DPMS SASS GII 18" barrel .308 1-10 twist, I've got everything to start working up a load except bullets. I've got a couple hundred Hornady match cases, some Lapua brass and a few range pickups, CCI primers, and some IMR 4064 powder. I'm looking for something that will work out to 1k yards and anywhere in between.

Right now I'm shooting Hornady match 168gr bthp and getting 2547fps 10' from the muzzle but 1 out of 3 cases are getting ejector swipe so it's on the hot side for this gun. I've got a tubbs CWS on the way which should help with that but there's no guarantee it will solve it.

I've looked at the heavier 178gr Hornady BTHP bullets and the sierra match kings and even the 155gr palma bullets. Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks!

With that bullet and velocity, at 1K you need 47 MOA, assuming a 100 yd zero, while slowing to 1039 fps. Not sure if that is good or bad cuz I don't shoot a 308 Win but 47 MOA seems like a lot, even for a 308. When we do shoot at 1k, my 308 friends use the 178 gr and have gotten poor results from the 168. RL 15, Varget or IMR 4320 may be a better choice for the 178. With an AR, seating depth becomes an issue with the magazine so you may be limited to the 178. I'm sure an experienced AR 10 shooter will chime in. Even 1.2 MOA has proven difficult at 1k with a 308 win, the wind plays hell on those low BC bullets.

Last edited:
This is what I was thinking. My only concern is OAL since the 168's are VERY close to max length in my pmags.

The Hornady 178 BTHP actually have a little bit better BC.

I would do some testing with the 178 AMAX and the 175 SMK. They will both fit fine a the mag and are great performers. The AMAX is a bit better than the SMK in both BC and consistency.

The 178 BTHP has more than a little bit better BC. It's at .530 vs the 175 SMK at .496. That's a good jump and the .530 holds true from my actual shooting. Some 178s pushed by Varget will work well.

Gun is a DPMS SASS GII 18" barrel .308 1-10 twist, I've got everything to start working up a load except bullets. I've got a couple hundred Hornady match cases, some Lapua brass and a few range pickups, CCI primers, and some IMR 4064 powder. I'm looking for something that will work out to 1k yards and anywhere in between.

Right now I'm shooting Hornady match 168gr bthp and getting 2547fps 10' from the muzzle but 1 out of 3 cases are getting ejector swipe so it's on the hot side for this gun. I've got a tubbs CWS on the way which should help with that but there's no guarantee it will solve it.

I've looked at the heavier 178gr Hornady BTHP bullets and the sierra match kings and even the 155gr palma bullets. Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks!

That's what I was going to suggest, the 178s, but like I always tell guys, go with 2000MR with that bullet, very accurate in my 10 twist barrel.
And much faster than what 4064 can push it.

175 SMK's or the 178 BTHP's if you can find them anywhere. The SMk will keep up till about 500 yards then the 178's bc takes over. Damn Hornady for stopping the production of them.

Rob whats your load with teh 178, is it the same between amax and the bthp?

44grns of Varget with the 178 BTHP in a Hornady case. I haven't loaded the AMAX in the Hornady case yet but in a Lapua case which has almost the same internal capacity 44.2grns and the 178 AMAX worked very well. They will be close.

The 178 BTHP has more than a little bit better BC. It's at .530 vs the 175 SMK at .496. That's a good jump and the .530 holds true from my actual shooting. Some 178s pushed by Varget will work well.

I use these bullets with 4064 and Hornady brass and it hammers! If given thr choice I would use these over the SMK everytime. It pissed me off when they suspended production of them last year and the ammo.

Yeah...that's not gonna work from a gas gun at LR308 mag length.

Only 2542 fps for AR types

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...allistics/24338-308-win-208-amax-rl17-11.html

I shot some of the 208's and RL 17 the other day out of the AR10T 24" 1 in 11.25 twist. I only shot a ladder starting at 44.0 gr, up to 47.5. Needless to say, I was impressed. I am around .020 from the lands, and this WILL fit in the AR mag. I have none of the usual pressure signs of the AR such as the ejector swipe, even at the 47.5 gr load. I will go a grain or so higher to confirm this finding. I used new FL sized and trimmed WIN brass and CI BR2's There are 5 shots in the center grouping. I originally mis-labled the shots. The bottom hole in the small center group is doubled. I need to get the Hornady VLD seater as the loads are compressed and the seater is denting the bullets. This however does not appear to have an impact on accuracy at least at 100. By the way, 5 different powder charges yield a group that measures .512.