• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Recommend me a helmet setup

fifdynutz

Pasture Poodle
Minuteman
May 5, 2020
Iowa
Hey guys, I have been heavily night hunting for a few years now using only a scope and handheld monocular. After speaking with some hog hunters down south (i primarily coyote hunt in iowa) They are telling me that a helmet mounted thermal monocular is a game changer.

Im considering going with the IRAY ML19 setup but i am clueless when it comes to making that work properly on a helmet.

I want to keep the budget as low as possible whilst not having a pile of shit. I already have a set of walker razors i can use for earpro adapted to the helmet but i would like some mounts that pull the muff out and to the rear so i can listen for howling

I also do not care about ballistics on the helmet, a comfortable bump helmet would be fine for me

What mounting system for the ML19 would be the best bang for the buck and have the least amount of screen shine when i stow them up to get in to the scope?

also would you recommend counterweights?

Any input on this would be appreciated. I never expected helmet shopping to be so complex. Thanks!!

Last edited:
The MH25 is usable, but I'd steer you to the Nox18 knowing there's a little extra coin involved. What you get in addition to the cost? Weapons mountable. True 1x. 5 years no questions asked warranty (huge!). US based company and service center.

There will always be some aspect of screen brightness defusing downward while in the stowed position. It's less visible in the stowed position that it is when it's pulled down in front of your eyes. I wouldn't overthink this.

Depending on which helmet you go with will tell you if you need a counterweight. I'd say, try it without counter weights first to see if it bothers you, or if you notice it. The less weight on your neck/head/spine the better.

We're a forum sponsor with a focus on Night Vision and Thermal. Give me a call - happy to talk you through various setups.

Preston
214-744-3589

It also helps that "the guy" for the NOX @Max_R is on here if you have any questions or issues with the NOX. You really can't beat that.

Just saying.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
I'm actually considering switching gears on this and seeing if I can make my spare hogster r35 integrate to a helmet mounted setup. After looking at some of the dimensions of the larger thermal helmet rigs, I think this may be doable? Any opinions? Or is this a bad idea?

Walk around with it up to your eye like it was mounted and see if you would like it. Being over 2x makes it hard to work with for that purpose IMO

Walk around with it up to your eye like it was mounted and see if you would like it. Being over 2x makes it hard to work with for that purpose IMO
The main purpose would be scanning on stand or from the passenger seat driving, I usually have my scanner glued to my head anyway during those timee

If you just have one thermal on a helmet, counterweights probably aren't necessary. If you've got a PVS14 + thermal, definitely recommend a counterweight system like the TNVC mohawk

I'm actually considering switching gears on this and seeing if I can make my spare hogster r35 integrate to a helmet mounted setup. After looking at some of the dimensions of the larger thermal helmet rigs, I think this may be doable? Any opinions? Or is this a bad idea?

It's possible, but the device weights over a lb and you're going to need some sort of mounting hardware which will only add more weight. Your biggest challenge is most likely going to be the overall weight mounted, and adding sufficient counterweight. Your neck will most likely be getting a workout, and then theres spinal compression.

Give it a whorl, but know there are always trade-offs. In this case: cost, weight, comfort.

From what I can tell the weight of the hogster 35 and the nox is only a 1.5oz difference. The main thing I see is the hogster is longer, likely making that weight geometrically heavier off the front of the helmet

From what I can tell the weight of the hogster 35 and the nox is only a 1.5oz difference. The main thing I see is the hogster is longer, likely making that weight geometrically heavier off the front of the helmet

It's closer to 4 oz difference, but maybe you have a different model than the one I have in mind?

The length will impact felt weight as it's pushed further out in front of your face, further away from the center of your skull.

You're also going to accommodate extra weight for whatever mounting solution you come up with for the Hogster. Hopefully you can 3D print something to keep weight down, but if you have to use metal, I'd estimate another 3-4oz in additional weight.

I'm thinking this 3d printed picatinny to dovetail adapter for the scope mount to J arm, and the mod thermal J arm attached to a rhno2 or wilcox setup

Attachments

• 20210412_170624.jpg
    20210412_170624.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 20210412_170640.jpg
    20210412_170640.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 125
what is everyones opinion on the helmet itself, should i spring for the team wendy exfil, or would something like a lancer helmet do the job? at times this would be worn for extended periods so i dont wanna buy a total pile