• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend me a joint health supplement

RobG

Douchebag Hauler
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2007
W. Sac, Kalifornia
I researched a bunch online but I can never be certain as to the authenticity of the research since so many sell the products they recommend. Basically, I am experiencing a "creaky" and sore right shoulder and left knee. The shoulder is from tossing the kids around some years ago, the knee I have no idea.

Thanks

Re: Recommend me a joint health supplement

I just started taking Osteo-biflex about 7 days ago. Seems like some shit old folks would take, but I just picked one to try. Basically just a good Glucosemine and Chondroitin (sp?) supplement was what I was looking for. It's all Walmart had that looked decent. I haven't noticed any dramatic differences, but I'm going to use it for a month and see.

That kind of stuff you really just have to try and see if it works for you. Amazon has good prices for most of it. None of it helped me. If you're experiencing pain, see and orthopedist and see what they have to say. Use surgery as a last resort only to improve function.

Some people have good luck from B12 to reduce inflammation.

Advil for five days... if it does not improve go see a doc

Are you taking any cholesterol meds? Many people are complaining of pretty severe joint pain as a side effect. Most docs don't warn anyone about it.

If you think it is from inflammation, fish oil may help, and is a good idea for all around good health

http://whole9life.com/fish-oil-faq/

If it is just from worn out joints, arthritis, etc. See an ortho, probably not much they can do about it though. Joints are kind of like tires, you only get so many miles, and harder miles cause more wear.

I have had some luck with using a turmeric-bromolein supplement.

I use Glyco-Flex II . I originally found out about it from my vet. My dog had many joint issues in his later years. Vet recommended glyco-Flex, and it was as if the dog became 10 years younger in a few days. Glyco-Flex II is the human consumption version, and it seems to work as good as the canine version.

Well, I wore my bones out early on. My knees crack and grind and my back is, well, shot out. G/C helped a long time ago, and I took naproxen for swelling and pain, but if you are predisposed to get this for whatever reason none of that is going to help for long. It will catch up to you, it just caught up to me early.

If it is really bothering you, I'd go see a physical therapist earlier rather than later. Later on they'll want to keep sending you to one when they can't help you and only the drugs can --physical therapists can only help so much with significant chronic conditions. My grandmother had arthritis so bad it crippled her absolutely, and it can run in the family --she always looked much older than she really was too.

But if you go early or right after surgery, they can help you a lot. They can give you specific exercises you may not be aware of that can strengthen muscles you don't use all that often. This makes the joints more stable and they don't "go out" as easy. I can't stress this enough, especially with your back. See, if your knees start to give you enough difficulties, you'll start to compensate in your gait and movements and that will add stress to your back and then one day, "SNAP!" and you have to piss in a bottle because you can't walk to the bathroom.

Or you can suck it up and drive on like I did and end up with VA healthcare and a worn out body. You do only have so many miles it seems, and how many or how long you can stretch them depends on the person I suppose. I knew one guy that pushed himself to run though he had stress fractures all through both legs and feet. He's probably in a wheel chair now.

For the pain and swelling, naproxen is what I like. Aleve is the same stuff. Note it can be rough on some people's stomach, causes heartburn and/or ulcers if you use it constantly for years on end. Rotating cold and ice helps. G/C does seem to make the joints glide better but you have to take it for a long time and you have to take it a lot. It may be a few months before you notice much difference and by then you sort of take the difference for granted... I think there is a prescription version now? G/C, fish oil and marijuana sell so well that they're making lab versions.

But if you are looking for a silver bullet, it doesn't exist. You are much better off taking my advice and finding out the correct strengthening exercises early on while you can.

At 28, I had a bone and joint doctor tell me I had the knees of a 70 year old man. No joke. At the time, I was in real good shape. In the ten years since it has gotten significantly worse and now I seem to talk about shooting more than actually shooting.

Good luck.

Fish oil (krill & cod liver, alternate days) + curcumin (ideally from vinegared raw turmeric root).

I use Move Free. It works.

all fod suplement data is anaedotal with a little science to support the advertiser's claims
There is no prospective controlled randomized blinded powertested Level I Medical Evidence that any of these joint products works. Just buy what it is your friends/advisers swear to and be happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RayDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This stuff works great for me and I'm more broken than most.
http://www.kneepaintreatment.com/ </div></div>

So what the story with that stuff, it says it's sold out on the website. Is it still working for you? I'd be willing to try most anything that I get a 1st hand positive review on. Is there another page where you can buy it?

http://www.kneepaintreatment.com/buying-page.html

my body has been through a good amount of abuse with many injuries but never have I been cut on.

I played soccer for 16 years and I have had stage three tears in my MCL in both right and left knees. I also had a few micro tears in my rotator cuff. Surgery was always pushed, but I tend to not listen to the first doc I see. I met the man that does most of the surgeries on the dallas area sports players. He told me to take and series of glucosamine and fish oils. Also being a former power lifter I am very very picky about what I put in my body. GNC is junk! most other big name vitamin companies are a joke. I'm edging up on 30 years old. The last knee injury was 2 years ago. I can still play ball if I want (I dont have time now). The nicest thing is I don't really hurt anymore and I can still run 3 miles cross country style and run well under a 5 second 40.

Bottom line is try it for yourself.

Here is what I have been taking.

http://www.omega-3.us/

http://www.flexicose.com/about.html

both are great... and drink water!

i've used glucosamine, msm, chondritin with success...it used to take about a 6-8 wks to recognize the change...now there's products out there that shows results much sooner....

Another thing that causes knee pain is misalignment in the joint usually caused by a strength imbalance of the quads vs hamstrings. Properly performed squats, where the hip crease goes below the top of the patella, have fixed many creaky knees over the years. I've gotten to the point where my knees ache if I don't squat. I've worked with people who have had ACL/MCL/various Orthoscope surgery and thought their knees would just hurt the rest of their lives... and after they learn how to squat with proper form, no more pain.

Melalueca has a good joint supplement it works for me, I am 64 and do need something. Best I have used for results. Replenex extra strength;

Does anyone use DMSO?

I used to use a lot a couple decades ago and the thing back then was that it made a person smell pretty bad, but it worked like magic.

Has that gotten any better?

Are they any long term negative health risks associated with GC?

TIA

Get plenty of Omega 3s in your diet (wild caught fish, grass-fed meat, free-range eggs, DHA/EPA supplement) cut out inflammatory anti-nutrients (grains, dairy, sugar) and your joints will come along in leaps and bounds...

+1 for move free. It's spendy but I swear that stuff fixed my elbow.

I used to experience popping, and occasional sticking of my left elbow- especially in the mornings. I took move free for several months along with my regular sups (fish oil, etc.) and the joint seems to be right as rain... no more symptoms at all, and it's been several years now since the issue.

My dad turned me onto that brand of glucosamine, he is a marathoner and believes it does help his joints as well.

If you buy it, get it at Sam's Club or costco, you get more pills than the bottles from walgreens (they really rip you on it). The stuff is pretty expensive (about $20 a bottle, IIRC) but it does work.

BCW, have you stopped using the stuff and still no problems? I have mixed feelings based on study results, but can't argue that for the time I used glucosamine, I did feel that my joints were less tender. Heck, placebo is usually 60%+ effective, so if it works, it works. But....I don't want to have to take it for the rest of my life to prevent regression.

I did stop taking it and no ill effects to the elbow. Though I can't say if it was really responsible for the fix, I do believe it was because I didn't change anything else in my life then.

I never had x-rays, etc. taken of the elbow so I don't know if it's just hoodoo but I don't think so.

I don't take it all the time because I don't have that many bad joints, but I may start taking it again to see if it helps with the soreness in my hands/fingers that i'm experiencing lately.

As Trevor said, "Glucosemine and Chondroitin" and I believe it's MSM. Get it at Walgreens when they have their weekly or biweekly sales. Get the triple strength and double up (or triple up) on your dosages (take half in am, half in pm). When I do this and I am keeping up with it...my body KNOWS when I stopped taking it.

Also, if you read the Low Testosterone post, HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) is another option. Nandrolen Decanate helps add water to your joints.

Jeff

Another vote for Glucosemine and Chondroitin...

A product that I and some other racing friends used was this...
http://www.seacoast.com/maximum-bone-aid/seacoast-vitamins/180-tabs/p803
Good company, good products. Shipping was quick.

This was a bone product. Basically, when we crashed and broke something, we'd use this to knit the bone faster. I was WFO after two weeks of breaking my hand. The benefit was that my back problems and other issues went away too because of the benefit of the Glucosemine and Chondroitin.

Vitamin World brand Joint Soother with omega 3,6,9. both my knees are pretty used up and it really helps me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone use DMSO?

I used to use a lot a couple decades ago and the thing back then was that it made a person smell pretty bad, but it worked like magic.

Has that gotten any better?

Are they any long term negative health risks associated with GC?

DMSO works great - if you are a horse. The last time I recall it used on a human being was a hematology-oncology ward in the bone marrow transplants. Will never forget that smell. However, MSM is a derivative of DMSO - watch for sedation and excessive bleeding though.

TIA </div></div>

DMSO works great on horses. Last time I recall it used on a human was hem-onc. ward in bone marrow transplants. A derivative, MSM, can cause sedation and excessive bleeding.