• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend me a new rangefinder

CShooter92

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I currently have a Sig Kilo 2000. I love it for summer hunting with the red reticle that adjusts for ambient light, its unreal fast and ranges pretty well to 6-800 yards on targets and further on hillsides. My issue I have with it is that it really sucks when it gets cold (<20F) and when there's some snow, which is basically when all my hunting takes place. I'm lucky to get a range over 400 yards on a snow covered hillside, let alone a deer or coyote standing on that hillside.

I was coyote hunting with a buddy who was running a Nikon RF (can't remember which model) but he was getting ranges on hills at 1100 when mine wouldn't get the one at 500. I don't really want the Nikon though since they're pretty much out of the game now.

So I'm looking for recommendations on a new rangefinder that will work well in winter conditions out to 1000 consistently. I don't want a set of RF binos since I already have a very good pair of binos that I don't want to get rid of. Linking to a kestrel would be handy, but not necessary.

Not sure what your price range is, but I can't recommend the Leica 3500.com highly enough.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Consider the vortex fury 5000 HD binos. Combine devices, so much nicer than keeping track of two. With new Applied Ballistics featured model coming out, I suspect there will be some standard fury 5000’s for sale here on the regular. I’m going to be doing that with mine in the near future. Easy ranging to 2000 yds and beyond

Last edited:
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks

Consider the vortex fury 5000 HD binos. Combine devices, so much nicer than keeping track of two. With new Applied Ballistics featured model coming out, I suspect there will be some standard fury 5000’s for sale here on the regular. I’m going to be doing that with mine in the near future. Easy ranging to 2000 yds and beyond
I don't want the combo because I run Swaro EL's as my binos already and I'm not willing to take the change in glass quality.

I'd like to keep this purchase under $1k but I'd weigh options

Reactions: C Renz
I don't want the combo because I run Swaro EL's as my binos already and I'm not willing to take the change in glass quality.

I'd like to keep this purchase under $1k but I'd weigh options
On gun nutz you said you run razor HD but if you had to buy one pair right now it would be the UHD because you don’t see the $1500 difference compared to the swaros el. So what changed your mind in the last couple months?

Only vortex i would ever recommend, their range finder. Find a vortex, its a electronic device and they all eventually fail. A vortex warrnaty when it does would be great

Reactions: Tikka boom
From what i understand when i was shopping for a rf, the vortex is the only manufacture that has a life time warranty

the used sig kelo that is available in the forums in a post for 300 maybe 400 would be a great start if its still available .good luck

On gun nutz you said you run razor HD but if you had to buy one pair right now it would be the UHD because you don’t see the $1500 difference compared to the swaros el. So what changed your mind in the last couple months?
Buddy had a pair of Swaro EL's he was looking to get rid of. I've been testing them out this winter.