• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend Press for Precision Reloading

dan46n2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2006
I know a single stage is the way to go for precision reloads, however are any better known to give more precise reloads? Any recommendations?

Re: Recommend Press for Precision Reloading

The dies are probably more important than the actual press you buy. I have the Hornady LNL with Forster mic dies, works well for me.

-Eric

Emorse4487 is right the dies have more to do with it then the press. I used a lee challenger for years and it worked well. I know lots of people swear by the rock chunker (RCBS). I also hear good things about the Hornady presses (so much in fact I replacing the Lee with one).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> know a single stage is the way to go for precision reloads</div></div>

This isn't necessarily the case. There are many competition shooters out there that load on a progressive. It just takes a bit more time to get a progressive setup. Also you have to be on you toes when using one because there is a lot going on every time you pull that handle.

The press is not an issue, its just a mechanism for applying the necessary force. Lots of Benchrest guys load at the range on old beat up partner presses off of black and decker workmates.

Accurate ammo is produced by good dies.

Love my Lee Classic Cast Press and Redding Bushing dies. Although, the dies cost more than the press.

Forster Co-Ax, its the fastest easiest press to set up and reload with, this is very important for a beginner

Reactions: Amanda4461

Also the Co-Ax has superior spent primer retention, something anybody who uses a Rockchucker will bitch about, and to make up for the added cost the Co-Ax does not require shell holders, you can prime your brass with it, and has alot mooooore mechanical advantage compared to other presses.

Reactions: Amanda4461

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The press is not an issue, its just a mechanism for applying the necessary force. Lots of Benchrest guys load at the range on old beat up partner presses off of black and decker workmates.

Accurate ammo is produced by good dies.</div></div>

Ahem, and some of us load off black & decker workmates at home too.
smile.gif

I agree, spend your money on dies and get a decent press. There's a group buy going on right now on Redding equipment. BauerArms is putting it on. Check it out.

Hell I load my ammo on a dillon. The press doesn't even matter.

I think the Lee Classic Cast is the best value in presses right now. Lower price and it helps make ammo just as accurate as any other high dollar press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvdt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The press is not an issue, its just a mechanism for applying the necessary force. Lots of Benchrest guys load at the range on old beat up partner presses off of black and decker workmates.

Accurate ammo is produced by good dies.</div></div>

Ahem, and some of us load off black & decker workmates at home too.
smile.gif

I agree, spend your money on dies and get a decent press. There's a group buy going on right now on Redding equipment. BauerArms is putting it on. Check it out. </div></div>
whatever the cost it can not pay for time and knowledge learned on how to do the loads correct with a good set of dies, spend your money on whatever press you can find at a good cost and spend the rest on dies and good quality components!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvdt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ahem, and some of us load off black & decker workmates at home too.
smile.gif

</div></div>
One of us loads off of a Black&Decker WorkMate at home with a Redding press. And he uses a Wilson punch and base for de-capping. And he cleans his brass in the dishwasher. And he disparages Lee products, especially the lock-rings, except for the primer-pocket cleaner and powder dippers. Fuckxng curmudgeon! Has both Lyman and Belding & Mull powder measures and won't use them. The jackass went out and bought an anvil to serve as a powder measure stand. To his credit, he has the good taste to use a Lyman M5 beam scale, but that hardly constitutes redemption. It's rumored that he's had something trashy to say about Mother Theresa, although I'm not one to spread a rumor.

reloader.jpg

I have (5) Lee Reloader presses

403729.jpg

I have (1) RCBS partner press

images

I have (1) RCBS rock chucker press

images

I have (1) Dillon 550B press.

images

I have (1) Lyman American press

images

I have (1) Forster Co-ax press

I handload for 19 Badger .222, .223, 22-250 .243, 25acp, 6mmBR,.243Win, 25/35, .250/3000, 257 Roberts AI, 260Rem, 6.5x55, 270, 7x57mm, 7mm Rem mag, 32acp, 32sw, 32S&WLong, 32-20, 30 Mauser, 7.62x25mm, 30-30, 303Sav, 300Sav,.308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 7.5 Swiss,7.62x39mm, 303Brit, 7.62x54R, 8x57mm, 338WM, .380, 9x19mm, 9x23mm, 357Sig,38special, 357 mag, 38sw, 40sw, 10mm, 10.4mm, 44 mag, 45acp, 45Super, 460 Rowland, 45acpRifle 45Colt, .410, 45/70, and 12 ga.

Once I got the Forster Co-ax press, the others just collect dust... but for the occasional primer decapping task.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan46n2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a single-stage is the way to go for precision reloads; however, are any better known to give more precise reloads? Any recommendations? </div></div>
Forster and Redding make the better presses. Choose whichever design best suits your needs, budget and appeals to you. I'm attracted to the Redding turret press. Many others like the Forster Co-Ax; however, the Redding Boss best suits my needs. Its smaller size and accompanying shorter ram-travel are labor-savers for the reloading that I do. Some like the turret design; not removing the dies from the head is a boon to retaining the die settings. The same virtue of retained die settings can be said of the Forster press with its floating die arrangement. Longer cartridges may require a bigger press or one with more power, but at the expense of more arm-motion by the user. Case re-forming requires horsepower, and the Redding UltraMag was designed for such applications. The desired results from any press are uniform ammo with low run-out measurements.

I consider a tight ram/bore fit to be essential to producing straight ammo. Loose linkages can hinder uniformity unless care is used to eliminate linkage play at each step of the iterative process. The practice of camming-over eliminates such play, but few current presses so permit. Solid seating of the die against the shell holder also serves, but isn't always practicable. If possible, inspect equipment before purchasing to ensure quality of the individual unit. Otherwise, purchase the equipment of a manufacturer and/or a vendor that will stand behind their products to assure customer satisfaction. Currently, all products are in high demand, and substandard units are getting out of the factory doors.

There are many things, including both tools and technique, that influence accuracy in reloading, and the press is just part of the solution.

That said, and for anything up to and including standard magnum length cartridges, the Forster Co-Ax is hard to beat for accuracy and ease of use. The linkage and handle are designed for maximum power and to eliminate play in the ram. However, the over the top, down the middle handle motion works best for most users if they load while standing instead of seated. If you can find a local retailer than has them on display (Cabela's does), try one out yourself.

If you reload cartridges much longer than above, the Redding UltraMag gets my vote. You can fit it with Hornady's LNL press conversion kit that allows you to use their bayonet style bushings for easy removal/replacement of dies.

For less $$, the Redding Big Boss II is a standard O-frame press of very high quality. It is also compatible with the LNL bushing kit.

If you don't have the budget for either of the above, the Lee Classic Cast (iron) single stage press is much better than their other offerings, and is a great press for the money. It is also compatible with the LNL conversion kit.

All of these presses have effective, through-the-ram spent primer handling that helps keep those buggers off the bench or floor, and in a bucket or catch bottle.

Andy

Inherited a rcbs junior picked up another yard sale junior and lee cast on the cheap. Now can spend more on good dies. After getting burned on used dies will only buy new dies as they are worth it.

I have 1 older Rock Chucker, and a Forster Co-Ax.
After getting the Co-ax and Forster dies, the "chucker has been relegated to decaping duties . The runout on the Forster loaded ammo is almost nothing if any at all on most loads, and the ease of die changes is helpful when doing a bulk loading run.
Not a better press made IMHO.

Redding T7 gets my vote! best money I ever spent on a press.

"A Dillon 550B or Redding T-7 press."

A turrent or a progressive turrent for precision? Not for me!

Actually, after a certain point of rigidity and alignment, the press is less important than the loaders skills. That said, most military competiton team/sniper reloading is done with a Co-Ax. NO military team i know of uses any turret or progressive for truly high precision long range ammo.

Serious BR shooters don't use threaded press at all, they use hand dies under arbor presses to avoid any error at all from a conventional press.

"A Dillon 550B or Redding T-7 press."

A turrent or a progressive turrent for precision? Not for me!

Actually, after a certain point of rigidity and alignment, the press is less important than the loaders skills. That said, most military competiton team/sniper reloading is done with a Co-Ax. NO military team i know of uses any turret or progressive for truly high precision long range ammo.

Serious BR shooters don't use threaded press at all, they use hand dies under arbor presses to avoid any error at all from a conventional press.
--------------------------------

"Redding T7 gets my vote! best money I ever spent on a press."

Without knowing what other presses you're compairing the T7 to we can't get a lot of info from that. ??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

"Redding T7 gets my vote! best money I ever spent on a press."

Without knowing what other presses you're compairing the T7 to we can't get a lot of info from that. ?? </div></div>

I have a Hornady single stage, a RCBS single stage, a Dillon XL650 and I had a hornady CoAx, but sold it. I always went back to the T7 for precision loads, just like it better then the rest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Fuzzball said:
I had a hornady CoAx, but sold it. </div></div>

What's a Hornady CoAx?

I started with a Lee Challenger. I now have a Lee Classic Cast.

The Challenger broke with some hard use, but was repaired under warranty. The Classic Cast is a great, heavy duty press.

They don't have to be expensive to load accurate ammo.

I actually started with a Dillon XL650 progressive press and then went to an RCBS Rock Chucker that I had in my basement. You'd be surprised how well the Dillon progressive press worked!!