• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Recommend scope

spaniel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2006
"Must have's":
-variable power, 3-5 on the low end
-side focus
-target knobs
-decent eye relief (more than .308 recoil anticipated)
-30mm tube preferred but not an absolute

"Nice-to-have's":
-illuminate reticle (really not important)

I don't want to put too much restriction on price, let's say it would be nice to get $500-$700 but I could go as high as $1000.

Right now I've looking between the Bushnell Tactical or one of the Leupolds. I have a Nikon Tactical that is great except that the eye relief is too short.

Re: Recommend scope

I am in the process of a new Rifle build and need a little funds to support the build so this scope has to go. This is a tactical Ior Valdada scope 6x-24x power 50mm objective and a 35mm main tube. It brings in light very well and has been an excellent scope. I also as an Illuminated reticule . Here are the specs.

http://www.valdada.com/product/4e8d7...57c2a3907.aspx

$1000 obo

I'm fixing to list this let me know what u think.

You could find a used leupold or if youre really lucky a nightforce. Ive had several of both, and im glad i moved up and purchased a schmidt and bender. I spoiled myself, since i will never purchase another scope that has less of quality than schmidt.

I have to ask ATH and please dont take offense but you have 412 posts and your asking for a recommendation on a scope? Have you ever even looked at the optics posts?

By the way in case you are interested in Sightron please give Scott at Liberty Optics a call for the best price. I would definitley weigh your options and read some reviews.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to ask ATH and please dont take offense but you have 412 posts and your asking for a recommendation on a scope? Have you ever even looked at the optics posts?
</div></div>

I have my own opinions. However I'm self-aware enough to realize I don't know everything and am not ashamed to solicit the opinions of others who may challenge my preconceived notions. Optics offerings do change and people gain experience with the most recent generation of optics, so it is not a useless exercise to ask questions that may have arisen in the past. If asking a question more than once on the board was sufficient to address the subject we might as well lock the whole board down and call it a day.

Even the "hot girlfriends" thread recycles the same women over and over, but that doesn't mean there aren't some interesting new poses of them worth posting.

I had not thought to look at Sightron, I'll add that to the list.

Couldnt agree more, Im going through the same sort of thing myself right now, trying to make up my mind on a scope, trying to make sure I make the best descision I can with the money I have to spend, Im not a novice shooter..but Im not to big to admit there are people who know a hell of alot more than me and its nice to be able to pick there brain every now and again.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to ask ATH and please dont take offense but you have 412 posts and your asking for a recommendation on a scope? Have you ever even looked at the optics posts?
</div></div>

I have my own opinions. However I'm self-aware enough to realize I don't know everything and am not ashamed to solicit the opinions of others who may challenge my preconceived notions. Optics offerings do change and people gain experience with the most recent generation of optics, so it is not a useless exercise to ask questions that may have arisen in the past. If asking a question more than once on the board was sufficient to address the subject we might as well lock the whole board down and call it a day.

Even the "hot girlfriends" thread recycles the same women over and over, but that doesn't mean there aren't some interesting new poses of them worth posting.

I had not thought to look at Sightron, I'll add that to the list. </div></div>

I'm still a big fan of Leupold.

They've always just worked for me.

bottom line. i do not understand why so many people do not spend the money on the best scope, but then spend 3000.00 shooting ammo trying to better their shooting when a better scope will give them better shooting and will have it for a long time unlike the ammo they shot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bottom line. i do not understand why so many people do not spend the money on the best scope, but then spend 3000.00 shooting ammo trying to better their shooting when a better scope will give them better shooting and will have it for a long time unlike the ammo they shot </div></div>

Sometimes the budget just doesn't allow for "the best." Sometimes "good enuf" is good enuf. (I'm not talkin' "cheap" I'm talkin' "good enuf." )

Don't know that I've even put $1,000 worth of ammo thru a scoped gun.

Now my FA stuff...yeah prolly.
wink.gif

Thunder bolt i have seen many a people rock a 5-600 dollar optic and they are without a doubt a better shooter than you. Just by the way you talk you dont seem to knowledgeable. How many S&Bs do you own? For that matter how many US Optics do you own? What qualifies SB and USO as "the best" as stated by you?

To answer the OPs question, why not save just a little more and try to snag one of the NF NXS that come up from time to time, hell one sold today for 1300 bucks IIRC

sorry as i read this i did not mean to sound rude. you are right and idea are ideas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What qualifies SB and USO as "the best" as stated by you? </div></div>

"The best" is usually defined as "what I plunked my hard earned cash on, cuz I is smart and don't buy no junk."

Everyone (me included) tends to think whatever they own is "the best."

yeah i realize that garandman, but im just curious as to what qualifies the SB and USO as the best to Thunderbolt, i wouldnt quite agree with you on your statement though. I have a countersniper definitely not the best, but you know i bought it to trash it.

i have three s&b's and i assure you i can shoot. but your right my uncle shoots great with his bsa scope on a bench in the middle of day shooting out to 600 yards. but when it counts i have take many animals at very low light at 600 to 800 yards and watched my bullet hit the animals to call my shot. oh did i mention it was last day of a hunt which meant bring home trophy or not. so yes i do agree with you about saving up for a better scope. i just said it diferantly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah i realize that garandman, but im just curious as to what qualifies the SB and USO as the best to Thunderbolt, i wouldnt quite agree with you on your statement though. I have a countersniper definitely not the best, but you know i bought it to trash it. </div></div>

I think yer right on point with your Q.

To me, the "best" scope is the one that'll do what you want better than anything else, without spending alotta money to get a brand name, or some status symbol.

If a $600 scope will do 98% of what I want, but I have to spend $1200 to get 100% of what I want, that extra 2% isn't worth $600 to me.

I'll take the extra $600 and buy ammo, or something else, and be quite happy with my 98% scope..

What I don't get is people spending $600 on a scope, and then using $29.95 rings on their $1,000 gun.
smile.gif

the best article that can explain it better than i can is on demigod llc under optics by zak smith then read about cost to long range shoot it will put perspective on subject

yes your right your weakest link might not even be the scope. i guess what i would like to say is buy the best you can afford and get out and enjoy our sport

but as everything in most cases you get what you pay for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to ask ATH and please dont take offense but you have 412 posts and your asking for a recommendation on a scope? Have you ever even looked at the optics posts?
</div></div>

First off I never said I knew it all and second take some anger management classes. If your the type that buys something strictly off opinions...well, I hate to say it, but your an idiot and to me with 400+ posts your a tad lazy to not do a little research and READ some tried and trued reviews of scopes in that price range. Good luck to you.

garandman the problem is not the 98% it is what are you going to lose with the 2% it could be a 210 b&c mule deer that is priceless

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Must have's":
-side focus
-target knobs

"Nice-to-have's":

I don't want to put too much restriction on price, let's say it would be nice to get $500-$700 but I could go as high as $1000.

Right now I've looking between the Bushnell Tactical or one of the Leupolds. I have a Nikon Tactical that is great except that the eye relief is too short. </div></div>

I hate to point this out,but if the recoil is enough on what you are shooting to worry about eye-relief,have you considered investing in a good brake? Just a thought

ya a good brake then you could get by with cheaper scope it might not brake then.

I know it does not qualify as per your want of side focus but look long and hard at the SWFA SS 3-9x42.

Easy the best bang for buck in optics right now....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to ask ATH and please dont take offense but you have 412 posts and your asking for a recommendation on a scope? Have you ever even looked at the optics posts?
</div></div>

First off I never said I knew it all and second take some anger management classes. If your the type that buys something strictly off opinions...well, I hate to say it, but your an idiot and to me with 400+ posts your a tad lazy to not do a little research and READ some tried and trued reviews of scopes in that price range. Good luck to you.

</div></div>

WOW. Looks like I'm not the one that needs to take anger management classes. I simply explained why I would still ask...perhaps if people asking questions angers you so much you should stop reading message boards?

Who ever said I didn't do research? Despite the increase lately in abrasive (that's you)and less knowledgable people on here that I could do without, there are quite a few people whose opinions I still value....in ADDITION to the several hours of reviews I read on various scopes before posting. The problem with published reviews is it's rarely transparent as to whether someone was influencing the objectivity of the reviewer. Not so much on a message board.

Just remember -- I only asked a question. It's you who had to take a swipe at me. You could have just gone to the next thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Must have's":
-side focus
-target knobs

"Nice-to-have's":

Right now I've looking between the Bushnell Tactical or one of the Leupolds. I have a Nikon Tactical that is great except that the eye relief is too short. </div></div>

I hate to point this out,but if the recoil is enough on what you are shooting to worry about eye-relief,have you considered investing in a good brake? Just a thought </div></div>

A couple barrels to be used on this gun (Savage), one of which is a muzzleloader with sabots so the brake is not an option. I hate them anyways, just personal preference.

Regarding "buying the best" there is the value story here too. My life does not depend on this gun and I've put $500-$1000 scopes through plenty of hard hunting and never been let down. The $200 Barska I'm waiting on to crap out so I have an excuse to replace it now that I can afford to finally gave me a hiccup this year but even that has been a decent "value".

For my purposes, there is very little value delivered by a scope that is much more than a grand brand new. My big game rifle wears a Nikon Tactical I got used on here for $900 and it has been impeccable. My trainer wears a Nikon Buckmaster I got for around $300 I think and even with dialing it a lot it has been flawless. Need I spend 4-5X as much as that?? Not me.

I thank everyone who contributed suggestions. In the end it came down to a couple of the Sightrons, the Nikon Monarch, a used Leupold Mark 4, or the Bushnell Tactical. I ended up going with the Bushness as a) the Nikon required swapping turrets, b) I don't think so highly of Leupold anymore, and c) this is a hunting gun where close range is likely sometimes and it's hard to beat the magnification range of the 6500 Series.

SEE WE DID HELP EVEN IN OUR OWN WAY YOU GOT TO HEAR DIFFERANT VIEWS AND THE END YOU MADE THE BEST DECISION FOR YOUR PARTICULAR NEEDS. ALL ENDS WELL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to ask ATH and please dont take offense but you have 412 posts and your asking for a recommendation on a scope? Have you ever even looked at the optics posts?
</div></div>

</div></div>

WOW. Looks like I'm not the one that needs to take anger management classes. I simply explained why I would still ask...perhaps if people asking questions angers you so much you should stop reading message boards?

Who ever said I didn't do research? Despite the increase lately in abrasive (that's you)and less knowledgable people on here that I could do without, there are quite a few people whose opinions I still value....in ADDITION to the several hours of reviews I read on various scopes before posting. The problem with published reviews is it's rarely transparent as to whether someone was influencing the objectivity of the reviewer. Not so much on a message board.

Just remember -- I only asked a question. It's you who had to take a swipe at me. You could have just gone to the next thread. </div></div>

I have to say ATH that your right. I mean afterall, I said please dont take offense and you did anyway. As sarcastically as that sounds I was being honest. Please except my sincere apology if it came across otherwise. Im a big boy though and can move on because I surely cant compete with you. Hell, your damn near a walking Thesuarus and Im just a redneck from Tennessee so what do I know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have to say ATH that your right. I mean afterall, I said please dont take offense and you did anyway. As sarcastically as that sounds I was being honest. Please except my sincere apology if it came across otherwise. Im a big boy though and can move on because I surely cant compete with you. Hell, your damn near a walking Thesuarus and Im just a redneck from Tennessee so what do I know. </div></div>

Well, saying don't take offense then following it with an offensive comment doesn't cancel out the comment. But I'll believe you didn't mean it that way so we're ok. I really did appreciate the suggestion to check out Sightron, they do have some good offerings.