• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend some Steel Toe Work Boots

MotorOilMcCall

Mandalorian
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2014
W.C. FL
Alright, I've had a lot of different steel toes over the past 20 years, and I still have my 10+ year old Hoffman's that are serving me well, however, they're 14" tall, and heavy as hell. They were great when I was climbing trees, and running log equipment, but they're on their 3rd pair of soles and looking too rough to wear to some customers now.

I'm in technical sales. High dollar, precision equipment kind of stuff, and while half the time I'm in a steel or timber mill (and can wear my Hoffman's), the other half, I'm in front of mill owners, engineers, executives, etc. (aerospace, defense, military officers, etc.). I need something slightly more dressy than loggers, but still steel toe, and with a decent sole to give me some traction around a mill or test cell, etc... I'd also like something in the 6" range, since I need to pack them frequently for travel. And, per some site safety officers, they have to lace, no slip ons...

Price isn't a big concern, but I'm not springing for White's or the likes. Was interested in some Danner Bull Run's, but not sure the white wedge sole is very dressy? I;m sure there are others in a similar situation as me, and I'm curious what you wear when you need to have steel toes, but don't want to wear them the whole time youre traveling, etc.

Thanks for the tips!

Sounds like you spend a lot of time on concrete. Therefore, I recommend something with a wedge sole.
I've had Danners that were damn good.
The Irish Setters are ok, but not as good as Danners.
Had a pair of Redwings that I wore for two weeks and returned them because they hurt my feet so damn bad. But, they have a 30 day return policy so all is good. Worth a try as your feet are different than mine.

Reactions: MotorOilMcCall
Alright, I've had a lot of different steel toes over the past 20 years, and I still have my 10+ year old Hoffman's that are serving me well, however, they're 14" tall, and heavy as hell. They were great when I was climbing trees, and running log equipment, but they're on their 3rd pair of soles and looking too rough to wear to some customers now.

I'm in technical sales. High dollar, precision equipment kind of stuff, and while half the time I'm in a steel or timber mill (and can wear my Hoffman's), the other half, I'm in front of mill owners, engineers, executives, etc. (aerospace, defense, military officers, etc.). I need something slightly more dressy than loggers, but still steel toe, and with a decent sole to give me some traction around a mill or test cell, etc... I'd also like something in the 6" range, since I need to pack them frequently for travel. And, per some site safety officers, they have to lace, no slip ons...

Price isn't a big concern, but I'm not springing for White's or the likes. Was interested in some Danner Bull Run's, but not sure the white wedge sole is very dressy? I;m sure there are others in a similar situation as me, and I'm curious what you wear when you need to have steel toes, but don't want to wear them the whole time youre traveling, etc.

Thanks for the tips!
Ck out Wolverine they have lighter duty Durashoocks. Casual dress capable the Durashock outsole really does make a difference in comfort on hard floors coupled with a set of super feet or power step insoles you probably need a good arch support. After years on their feet Everbody Needs Arch Support!

First, get proper arch support, and second, I have had good luck (years) with Red Wing boots. I got the one's "properly fitted" and they worked great for me. A few pairs over the years (heavy trades).

And yes, I've heard of others that couldn't stand them. Everyone's an individual. I've not had the opportunity to try Danner's or anything like that yet. So I can't speak to them at all.

Danner bullrun moch toe
That’s what I’ve been rocking since I moved from the street to the office. Classy enough for meetings with the execs and tough enough for working in the field. I just had them re-soled at Danner and it was like 130 or something. Made in Merica too.

Ive had a pair of timberland pro work boots for over 10 years. Have been abused the entire time and held up incredibly well. Probably not a top brand and not as expensive as many others mentioned here but they been very good to me. Several styles available with safety toe and various saftey standards.

I checked out a number of the Redback boots, and I only found "steel toe" in a number of them. I didn't find any that specified "steel shank". I don't know what you're specifications/requirements are, but the industries I've worked in required both toes and shanks to be steel.

Otherwise, those things look REAL comfortable.

I have Carhartt work boots that are comfortable on concrete and seem well made. I've had them over a year and they're wearing well. Mine are comp to but I think steel is an option.

CME6355BOD.jpeg

Thanks guys. I think I'll give the Danner Bull Run's a shot. The White sole throws me off, but hell, I'll wear those out and then see if somebody can put a black wedge sole on them. I've never had the wedge sole, but everyone I talk to says how comfortable they are, so I'm going to give it a shot.
Thanks for the input!

Reactions: Scott037

Thanks for the tips!
Red Wing or Irish Setter. Very good boots and they make many that would be more "dressy" than loggers.

Red Wing or Irish Setter. Very good boots and they make many that would be more "dressy" than loggers.

I'm a 3rd generation Red Wing work boot user. My Dad and Grandpa both have used them for decades.

Until my last pair, I had always been happy with them. I didn't treat them badly, but the uppers just kinda disintegrated before the soles wore out. Stitching broke in multiple areas and leather pulled apart near the stitching. Bought them from the Red Wing Store. No work around wet concrete or other corrosive stuff. I don't have to wear them everyday. So they were about 3 years old, but probably only worn for about a month a year. Took care of them like I had for the pervious 25 years I've worn Red Wings.

Recently noticed my Dad wasn't wearing Red Wings and asked him about it. He said his last pair fell apart, so he switched brands.

We had bought both pairs about the same time period. Maybe we just bought into a bad batch.

• Wow
Reactions: Baron23
I'm a 3rd generation Red Wing work boot user. My Dad and Grandpa both have used them for decades.

Until my last pair, I had always been happy with them. I didn't treat them badly, but the uppers just kinda disintegrated before the soles wore out. Stitching broke in multiple areas and leather pulled apart near the stitching. Bought them from the Red Wing Store. No work around wet concrete or other corrosive stuff. I don't have to wear them everyday. So they were about 3 years old, but probably only worn for about a month a year. Took care of them like I had for the pervious 25 years I've worn Red Wings.

Recently noticed my Dad wasn't wearing Red Wings and asked him about it. He said his last pair fell apart, so he switched brands.

We had bought both pairs about the same time period. Maybe we just bought into a bad batch.
Wow, I haven't bought any in the last five years but I have not had anything like the experience you are referring to.

I sure hope this is not how they are going forward....bad enough that BassPro fucked up Cabela's brand....I'd hate to see Red Wing go the same route.

Reactions: mike_f
My vote would be Timberland Pro. I have to wear them everyday for work and have found them to be comfortable and light weight.

Whites 350 cruisers, steel toe, 55 last and v100 sole. I’ve worn and replaced redwings for years and after wearing whites smokejumpers the redwings feel like flimsy tennis shoes rather than protective footwear. The first 100 hours is brutal with whites but after that they feel better than any shoe/boot I’ve ever worn. Lead time is about 10-12 weeks on them and you can order direct from whites or through bakers. Definitely do the tracings/measurements and you will have a fantastic fitting and looking boot. I like roughout leather, wears really well and brushes nicely to look rather new after a hard day.

Go to Work N Gear and try on everything . Same with Tractor Supply or who ever else sells in your AO . You have to figure out what works for you . How does it cradle your foot . Does it smash your toes . Amount of spring per step . The biggest problem with steel toes is the fact that your trailing foot does not roll normally as your lead foot is planted . It causes calf contraction and knee stress . Good luck

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
I use ariat for doing projects like roofing, or general carpentry, framing and demo on some of my properties.

However, I’m not in the construction industry so take it with a grain of salt. I never used steel toe boots in the military because I was a knuckle dragger and not a pog.

Anyone saying a brand doesn't know shit.

Every foot is different and you have to try on a bunch of stuff to see which lasts will fit your foot. They vary between manufactures and product lines.

Allen Edmonds has about 80 different lasts and that is ONE brand.

• Haha
Reactions: Bradu
Wow. Been wearing steel toes for 47 years and I "don't know shit"...gee, it's nice to be amongst folks who are so smart they know that no one else knows Jack Shit. What's a "last" for those of us who are stupid?

VooDoo

I'm a builder of course, and I'm really hard on boots. I was convinced to try the Hawks brand boot at boot barn, and I have to admit, I've been pleasantly surprised. They make a ceramic toe boot that's a lot lighter than steel and it holds up extremely well. I've never had a pair of work boots last me a year, and the hawks warranty is "if it breaks or comes apart in any way within a year of purchase, you being em into the store and they give you a new pair" . I've had em all. Redwing, danPost, lacross, wolverine, Ariat, ect... none have held up like the hawks, and the hawks are way more comfortable. They make waterproof (which is what I get) and non, as well as with a ceramic toe and without. Tough to beat especially for the price point. I'd for sure go check em out if you have a boot barn near you. They do online sales and returns too but...

These are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned. The only improvement I make to them is to coat the steel toe area with some rubber compound made for that purpose. My last pair lasted 2 1/2 years and are still useable but I went ahead and ordered some new ones in case they became unavailable. Now if you do any welding/cutting these boots are not for you. When I do any welding I change into some leather boots which aren't nearly as comfortable.

Wow. Been wearing steel toes for 47 years and I "don't know shit"...gee, it's nice to be amongst folks who are so smart they know that no one else knows Jack Shit. What's a "last" for those of us who are stupid?

VooDoo
You dont know shit becuse your foot is different than the OP.

A last is the mold that shoe manufactures use to form the shoe. It goes between the sole and the uppers and is what gives the shoe its shape.

Every shoe and size has a different last.

If you wernt so lazy you could google it but some people need info spoon fed to them like todlers.

Thorogood Boots have a nice steel toe option. Im a farrier and have been wearing them for a few years. Great quality.

I've had a pair of Ariat's for about eight months now.

The inside liner is starting to come unglued, which requires a shoe horn to get them off.

These rest of the boots are on good shape and. Rather dissapointed that after eight months, they are calling apart.

I haven't had boots last longer than a year, ever. Tried a bunch of cheapo brands and tried the American made lines of Thorogood after a few recommendations, using Keen now and they've been the most comfortable but all brands I've tried start separating from the sole, leaking water, just deteriorate so fast. Auto mechanic here, so 9-10hrs a day standing on concrete, constant exposure to automotive chemicals, cleaners, water, etc. Most of my coworkers wear cheap sneakers and throw them out every few months.

Alright, well it's an old thread I started, but it's been resurrected a few times.

Long story short, I still wear the Hoffman's when I'm outside doing heavy work. But, the OP was asking for more of a travel boot/lighter weight indoor boot for visiting customers/job sites that require steel toes.

Ended up with some Danner Moc Toe, wedge sole boots. Honestly, I probably have 50 hours in them all year. Haven't traveled much with COVID, so they aren't getting a lot of use around the house, however, I do wear them when working in the garage, and the soles are great for that, as I don't track in a lot of the garbage and debris that the lug soles do. They also insulate better than the thinner rubber soles of my cowboy boots, or sneakers. Plus, they're made in the US which was important to me. They're a little on the narrow side, so I went up 1/2 size. Fit nice with winter socks on, or with summer socks cinched up a bit more.

Ive run redbacks for many years for my work uniform. The soles just wont were out even if you have a crooked Kaiser Soze gait like me.

I'm looking to get new boots. Debating between steel toe soft toe or something in between. Heard about alloy and composite stuff. Any preference or know-how?

Thanks in advance guys.
If you don't need protective footwear, why would you even consider them? They're not like having impact resistance in a pair of wrap around sunglasses, more like getting permanent side impact protection on a pair of reading glasses - if you don't need it then there's zero benefit to get it.

Reactions: LeftyJason
I worked 43 year in the Oilfield - most of it Offshore on steel decks working 12 hour tours.

First 20 year I wore Red Wing Slip On's - but they got uncomfortable and I swapped over to Wolverine Lace Ups.

The most comfortable Lace Ups for me were Wolverines that covered my ankles - do recommend

For the last 10 - 15 year I wore Twisted X steel toed Cowboy Boots. Do recommend.

For all boots - I used Gel Pads and swapped them out fairly regularly.

I also oiled and cleaned my boots regularly.

When I was working Offshore for 28 days straight or more, I kept 2 pair of boots so one could be drying out and cleaned and oiled.

Do not go cheap on work boots....

Reactions: 99mpower
New redwings exoskeleton lite woth the boat laces have been amazing so far. Had Thurgood before that. Walk on concrete welding shop floors all day.

I have always worn steel toe cap boots in most jobs I have had but have never really found any which are comfortable. I can't wait to take them off at the end of a day.
Has anybody got any recommendations of any which are suitable for building site work which are somewhat comfortable? Fully waterproof and made to last are important. The pair I have now are a £60 pair of dickies and although they feel well built i can't wait to take them off.
I struggle as I'm a size 14 and not every style are available in my size.
Any particular brands to recommend?
Price not really an issue as i spend most of my day in them so I want the best. Can't really wear trainer types on the sites im working on and rigger boots are not allowed.
Price no barrier? Everyone I work with on the railroad tell me White's, all the way. Since you're quoting prices in Pound, I'm assuming you're UK. White's are custom made to your foot, so you'll have to find a sizing service to get the most comfort out of them. https://whitesboots.com/

Looking for a UK dealer for them, here's one I found pretty quick so you can get an idea on pricing. https://eastwestapparel.co.uk/shop/browse/brand/whites-boots/ No, they're not cheap. I hear they're absolutely worth it, but I still haven't taken the dive myself.

Otherwise, I'm still a fan of Redwing, so long as they are US built. Their Asian made stuff doesn't last for shit. Two pairs of Loggermax boots, one American and one Vietnam, you can feel a significant weight difference between the two and inspecting them I could tell it was all in the thickness of the leather and heavier duty sole. I had the steel toe fully showing through within six months on the Asian version, US version over a year at it and the toes just look scuffed.

I might go for a pair of White's next year, but American made Redwings hasn't let me down yet. Run the US to UK size conversion, they run true to size for me.

Dr. Martins! Wearing a 14 year old pair of industrial composite toe as I type and they have held up great in factory settings. Also used to sell Subaru in Dr. Martins shoes people always commented how nice they look.