• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend the most American made 30-06 for an elk hunt

teddy12b

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2008
Odds are pretty good I'm going elk hunting next year. I've got plenty of rifles, but most of them are geared towards the tactical or competition side and not really setup to be lightweight going up and down steep hills. On the one hand, this is going to be a gun that might end up sitting under a tarp with me in the rain for days on end. On the other hand this could be something that pops an elk on day 1 if I have beginners luck and then it's back in the safe. I'm a veteran and go to rifle competitions usually finishing in the top third of a match. I know everyone on the internet says they can shoot, and I won't say I'm the best by any means, but I'm a competent shot. For the purposes of a hunt, I'd be putting a limit on myself of 500 yards max.

*I'm kinda stuck on the 30-06. I have just always had a soft spot in my heart for it. I know there's bigger and better cartridges, but the 30-06 and I go way back.

*I'm torn between something with bombproof durability like an old ruger paddle gun, vs something in a walnut stock that will have the nicks and scratches of a well worn hunt that will also be a beautiful rifle to hand to my son or grandsons some day.

*I've never had a controlled round feed rifle, so I'm attracted to that more out of curiosity than anything else. I could take it or leave it though because I've ran a bolt action enough times to know a push feed is just fine.

*I'm trying to limit the rifles I'm looking at to an all American classic type of rifle. Something that's built in the USA and always has been. At first I was thinking of a Winchester 70, then realized where they're made. Then I got thinking of a Browning, then realized where they're made now too. Is there a factory option besides a Ruger that fits what I'm looking for? Nothing against Ruger, I'm just trying to look at all my options.

*I understand that a there's nothing more American than a custom rifle, and if I did that I like the looks of the foundation micarta stocks in some combination of a barreled action that can be at 7# ish without scope.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Montana Rifle Co are very nice. I don’t know much about the business and their practices though honestly besides family owned out of Michigan.

How about a pre-64 Model 70? I couldn’t dig it up verification for some reason, but weren’t they made in USA?

Here’s a bunch of pre-64 in 30-06:

I’d put my money into a Christensen arms ridgeline. I own/owned several of their rifles and they have all been shooters. I’ve built several custom rifles for a more specific rifle that I wanted. But honestly it won’t be needed if I were hunting for a 30-06.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris W.
A pre64 70, (you could put it in a mcmillian woody stock so the rain doesnt wreck the zero), a rail, and a leupold.

Handload in Starline or Peterson brass

‘06 is an awesome round. Perfect for elk to 500.

Other quality option is a Zermatt Origin, a prefit from any number of places (or a custom cut one by a smith) and and nice light stock (mesa precision makes a slick one).

I run guns set up each of those ways.
Its literally a coin toss and Win 70 gets my nod for nostalgia sake.
Origin gets ran plenty though.

I'll toss a vote on for a vintage 70. Just seems like a romantic choice. Plus a heck of a rifle to hand down.

Goddamn, that is a cool website! There are some gems in there!

*I'm trying to limit the rifles I'm looking at to an all American classic type of rifle. Something that's built in the USA and always has been. .

Thoughts?
You did use the word "classic" so to me that rules out any custom built rifle on the latest components. Just my personal interpretation regardless of whose action, stock, etc you used .

5 yrs ago I signed up for an elk hunt 4 yrs in advance with some good friends.
In Wyoming on edge of Shoshone NF just outside Yellow Stone.

32 mile ride into camp then classic elk hunt at 10k ft with rifle in scabbard in front of your stirrup. You and your guide head out of camp on horses before daylight every morning and come back after dark.

I am not wealthy but my job would allow me to build anything my heart desired. I chose not to and it was the best decision ever.

I made it my mission to find a Pre64 Win 70 that was made before I was born (1961).

Almost everything coming up on GunBroker was modified, restocked or fucked over. I finally found a Featherweight in 300 H&H with only mod being addition of a ventilated recoil pad. It was made in 1954. Lots of worn bluing and stock wear but all in legit places. Bore was perfect. I bedded the lug area, removed the 4th screw in the forend, buried a piece of 3/8" square aluminum in the forend under the barrel and hit every inch of the stock with high quality wood wax to weatherproof it. Got lucky and found a load that was a freak. In fact the whole gun is a freak but that would need it's own thread to explain.

Then 13 months ago it took a 6x6 bull at 513yds about a mile from Yellow Stone.

Bucket list hunt even if I had not fired a shot. Getting my bull with that rifle, in those conditions was just extra sweet icing on the cake.

All my friends in the camp had carbon fiber stock, custom barrel, custom action, custom trigger and newest hot shit cartridge. The guides in the camp raised an eyebrow at my old gun when all they see anymore is the latest and fastest.

My friends all killed before I did that week but .... my bull was just as dead as theirs, plus only one bull (Benji's) was further at around 526yds.

I can tell you there is usually a lot of those rifles in 30-06 still to be found in good condition.
If you are looking for a legit traditional experience, find you one in 30-06 and do what I did. You won't regret it.

Have fun with it either way!

Last edited:
You did use the word "classic" so to me that rules out any custom built rifle on the latest components. Just my personal interpretation regardless of whose action, stock, etc you used .

32 mile ride into camp then classic elk hunt at 10k ft with rifle in scabbard in front of your stirrup. You and your guide head out of camp on horses before daylight every morning and come back after dark.

I am not wealthy but my job would allow me to build anything my heart desired. I chose not to and it was the best decision ever.

I made it my mission to find a Pre64 Win 70 that was made before I was born (1961).

Almost everything coming up on GunBroker was modified, restocked or fucked over. I finally found a Featherweight in 300 H&H with only mod being addition of a ventilated recoil pad. It was made in 1954. Lots of worn bluing and stock wear but all in legit places. Bore was perfect. I bedded the lug area, removed the 4th screw in the forend, buried a piece of 3/8" square aluminum in the forend under the barrel and hit every inch of the stock with high quality wood wax to weatherproof it. Got lucky and found a load that was a freak. In fact the whole gun is a freak but that would need it's own thread to explain.

Then 13 months ago it took a 6x6 bull at 620yds about a mile from Yellow Stone.

Bucket list hunt even if I had not fired a shot. Getting my bull with that rifle, in those conditions was just extra sweet icing on the cake.

All my friends in the camp had carbon fiber stock, custom barrel, custom action, custom trigger and newest hot shit cartridge. The guides in the camp raised an eyebrow at my old gun when all they see anymore is the latest and fastest.

My friends all killed before I did that week but .... my bull was just as dead as theirs, plus only one bull (Benji's) was further at around 720yds.

I can tell you there is usually a lot of those rifles in 30-06 still to be found in good condition.
If you are looking for a legit traditional experience, find you one in 30-06 and do what I did. You won't regret it.

What bullets did you use? I have a 1955 Bull Gun in 300 H&H and it shot pretty well with the 200gr ELDX.

30-06, Serengeti, 28 KBI, 700. 215 Bergers, prepped LC 67 match, CCI250.

20221015_100730.jpg
20221015_102327.jpg

Last edited:

My friends all killed before I did that week but .... my bull was just as dead as theirs, plus only one bull (Benji's) was further at around 720yds.

Absolutely no doubt, the rifleman’s rifle is the epitome of the American classic hunting rifle. Nostalgia is a huge part of the hunting heritage.

Mausingfield, Mcmillian Game Scout in walnut, choose what barrel contour gets you to your weight goal and go have fun with a beautiful bomb proof heirloom piece that any kid would love to inherit.

Reactions: kthomas

Terry, did you try to match a scope to that style of rifle? Or did you just put a modern scope on there for long range proficiency?

Yeah, that's the tough part about my romantic idea of a dream elk hunt using that beautiful pre-war 1935 Rifleman's Rifle. Mounting the scope.

Doesn’t get much more American than a Remington 700, or a Ruger No. 1 falling-block. But if you want to build on vintage iron a Pre-64 Winchester Model 70, or sporterized 1903 Springfield or a bring-back K98 Mauser that was from the war and brought back home and sporterized for hunting would be nostalgic.

Reactions: lash
A properly finished wood stock won’t be the reason a person misses. Usually has something to do with the fudds holding 2 inches above the spine at an unknown distance because range finders were not invented yet, or they were too cheap to buy them.

Apply some non-scented paste wax or paraffin to the stock if you want to, but the finish is on the stock to protect it from the elements.

Get your classic rifle, check the stock to make sure it is finished well, and go enjoy your hunt.

One more vote for rem 700. Mine is a “mountain rifle” in 270 win, but 30-06 is a fine cartridge too.

You did put ‘American Made’, but gosh I like the good old Sako’s.
Nostalgia is where you find it. The only thing that would make this thread any better would be pictures of some old hunting hardware.

I feel like the toughest part about this whole deal is that if you want a good American made classic hunting gun you need to find someone who's selling theirs... because they're just not made, or made here, anymore. When I think American classic, I think first of the M70 and second of the R700. With respect to Ruger, the M77 isn't my particular cup of tea. While I couldn't tell you where new Remington are made, I can't say I have full faith and confidence in them at the moment either.

ETA:
I suppose there's always the Weatherby MkV, though I cannot speak to country of origin nor abide a Monte Carlo stock design (particularly on a rifle chambered for a Wby Magnum).

Reactions: camocorvette
Terry, did you try to match a scope to that style of rifle? Or did you just put a modern scope on there for long range proficiency?

For my Pre-War Model 70 I put an old 70 era wide field Redfield on it, it worked well enough until one early morning I could see the deer with my eyes but the contrast was so terrible I couldn’t see the deer through the scope. I had to wait until it walked into a different background to make the shot.

I ended up replacing it with an early Vortex LHT with the 1” tube that matched the scope base I already had on the rifle.

I was going to match an older scope up or at least make an attempt to get somewhat close.
Here is the funny (sad) part. . . . .

I pulled a couple of old scopes out of the safe to consider.
Looked through them and thought WTF!
Why are they so dark?
Are they F'd up?
Did something happen to them while in the safe for years? . . . .

Noooooo.

Our current scopes are F'ing light years ahead of older glass so these just looked dark and pitiful by comparison. We didn't realize they sucked back in the day and was glad to have them!

I reluctantly made the decision to mount and run a modern scope so I could ensure my ability to ID and shoot under any light conditions and distance if necessary. I mounted and used a chunky Leupy 3.8-18 Mk5 that looked lonely. I used a reticle hold instead of dialing to take my bull. The clarity to see one particular thing at distance saved the day for me so I have no regrets.

20220908_121910.jpg

I was going to match an older scope up or at least make an attempt to get somewhat close.

Why are they so dark?
Are they F'd up?

Noooooo.

Our current scopes are F'ing light years ahead of older glass so these just looked dark and pitiful by comparison. We didn't realize they sucked back in the day and was glad to have them!

I reluctantly made the decision to mount and run a modern scope so I could ensure my ability to ID and shoot under any light conditions and distance if necessary. I mounted and used a chunky Leupy 3.8-18 Mk5 that looked lonely. I used a reticle hold instead of dialing to take my bull. The clarity to see one particular thing at distance saved the day for me so I have no regrets.

View attachment 8252196
One of my favorite hunting scopes is a March F1 3x24. They used to be real popular around here when the 6.5 GAP 4S SAUM was new.

Reactions: lash

Why are they so dark?
Are they F'd up?

Noooooo.

View attachment 8252196
I hate to say it, but my new Leupold VX3-HD is head and shoulders above my VariX-IIs. Do I want Alpha Glass? Yes! But I can re-glass most of my rifles with adequate hunting optics for the price of a TT or S&B. They are close to mid range hunting rifles, not LR or Comp rifles. Now one or two will get a good Mid tier piece of glass, but not all of them.

Yeah, that's the tough part about my romantic idea of a dream elk hunt using that beautiful pre-war 1935 Rifleman's Rifle. Mounting the scope.

Talley with the 10-20 MOA built into them.
Classy and clean look that won't make your pre-war rifle look like shit.

Also I should note that subsonic 30-06 through the Nomad-L is the most adorable thing I’ve ever shot. Completely killed any interest I had in a bolt action blackout because the ability to go from ultra quiet 188gr subs to 178gr at 2700 fps in an 8 twist 20” barrel smokes the 110gr at 2300 fps you would get from the blackout.

Modern scopes are an absolute must. I'm getting old enough to remember what you used to get for a scope decades ago and what you get today is light years ahead.

Reactions: 308pirate
HS Precision is all American made and all made in-house in Rapid City, SD.