• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Recommendation for 1-6 LPVO

SBRnow

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2019
Hi all,

I'm looking for a 1-6 LPVO and want to get the group thoughts. First, my platform:
1. 16" Faxon match barrel shooting .223
2. Receiver is an Ascend Armory with Superlative Arms GB, light wt. BGC, JP Silent Capture Spring
3. Majority of shooting will be target at 100 yd with occasional 200-300 yd
4. I will do some at close range so rapid target acquisition is good. I don't need daylight bright illumination
5. I would like to keep the weight down ( less than 20 oz) if possible
6. Will mount on Larue LT 204

I have looked at Vortex PST gen II but it is a bit larger/heavier. I also considered Steiner 1-4X but want that extra mag due to my old eyes. I see that both Crimson Trace and USO have new scopes out (TS1 and Series 3) that are both FFP. Any experience with these newer scopes.

Finally, my budgent is $500-900.

Hope that all the info that is needed. I read the guide and try to put down as much as I could.

Thanks for all the helps.

I have an EOTECH 1-6 Vudu that I'm liking.

Not sure if you can find one for $500 - $900.

If I was you, I'd buy a used SWFA 1-6 HD off of the classifieds and never look back. You rarely see them for sale because people don't sell them. They use the shit out of them.

That was my plan before the Vudu fell into my lap.

You might consider the DLO recommended Hawke Frontier 1-6x24 which is right in your price range. I think it weighs about 19 ounces.

I'm doing something a bit different with my latest AR purchase instead of a LPVO after I found a good deal on a 1.5-8 x32 Razor HD LH. It's only around $370 on Amazon. The weight with an Aero mount is only about 1 pound. I'll probably stick an offset mounted tiny red dot on the rifle later.

Reactions: freedom71
If you up your weight allotment, and add $100, you could easily have probably the best 1-6 LPVO out there. The Vortex Razor.
There was a time when this was the best LPVO on the market, and it went for $1200-$1500. It’s now been eclipsed by some of the 1-8’s, and the NX8, ATACR 1-8, and Kahles all come to mind. They are however, quite a bit more$$.
The Vortex Razor is awesome glass, very good reticle, usable illumination, available for probably $1000. YOURE really not going to beat it in that price point. The downside: it’s heavy.
I’ve had one, and can say this: the weight penalty was worth it for the other features.

Reactions: Patriots1884
Most of the optics mentioned are in the 20 ounce or just over range. Stick with your first choice and get the PST Gen II 1-6x. It will do what you want and more and is in your price range.

Most of the optics mentioned are in the 20 ounce or just over range. Stick with your first choice and get the PST Gen II 1-6x. It will do what you want and more and is in your price range.
Are the pst and razor lpvo
illuminated daylight visible?

Yes they are. I have been using a Razor 1-6 for over 5 years now on my 3 gun AR and it's a great optic for that for close up to out to 400+.

Also to the OP, if you needed the extra power for your eyes from 4x to 6x then I would recommend you do not get a FFP low powered optic. Honestly I am all about FFP in my higher powered optics but in a low 1-4/6x it's a waste. If you are shooting anything in close at 1x then your reticle needs to be illuminated and seen easily and if shooting longer you will have it on highest power anyways. Never saw a need for FFP in a low power optic.

Here's some food for thought, just because sometimes looking at the options is a fun part of the buying process. Whichever way you go, pick up the phone and call a Hide vendor - they usually can offer lower prices over the phone than can be advertised on the Internet.

<$500 category:

* Athlon Midas BTR 1-6x24
* Burris RT-6 1-6x24
* Meopta Optika6 1-6x24 SFP
* Primary Arms GenIII 1-6x24 SFP
* Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24
* Primary Arms 1-8x24
* Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24

<$750 category:

* Minox ZX5i 1-5x24
* Riton RT-S MOD7 1-5x24 IR
* SIG Sauer Whiskey5 1-5x24
* Athlon Midas BTR Gen2 1-6x24
* Meopta Optika6 1-6x24 FFP
* Nikon BLACK Force100 1-6x24
* SightMark Pinnacle 1-6x24
* Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x24

<$1000 category:

* Crimson Trace 3-Series Tactical 1-5x24
* Leupold VX-5HD 1-5x24 CDS-ZL2 (personally, I'd pick this one for the motion-on feature, CDS dial, made in Oregon)
* EOTech Vudu 1-6x24 FFP
* SWFA SS HD 1-6x24

Advertised just over $1000, but maybe <$1000 if you call a Hide vendor:
* Burris XTR II 1-8x24
* Athlon Cronus BTR 1-6x24 SFP
* Leupold VX-6HD 1-6x24 (maybe just wishful thinking on the <$1000 phone price)

Even calling a Hide vendor, probably not going to be sub-$1000, but the gold standard if you can reach up for it:
* Vortex Razor HD Gen II-E 1-6x24

Compiled from this list of 158 illuminated LPVOs, sorted by price category (and magnification within price category).

Reactions: richthe1
You can find the original Razor 1-6x for sub $1000 now and down near $850.

Reactions: SageRatSafaris
I have an EOTECH 1-6 Vudu that I'm liking.

Not sure if you can find one for $500 - $900.

If I was you, I'd buy a used SWFA 1-6 HD off of the classifieds and never look back. You rarely see them for sale because people don't sell them. They use the shit out of them.

That was my plan before the Vudu fell into my lap.

I have one listed now for a song...

Thanks guys! I looked thru all the recs - what would you say regarding the largest eye box - I've heard that SFP has better than compare to FFP and that the EOTech Vudu has one of the best compare to Vortex Razor.

Reactions: Rwjeter
You might consider the DLO recommended Hawke Frontier 1-6x24 which is right in your price range.

This. I own both a Kahles 1-6 (out of your price range) and the Hawke Frontier 1-6. The Hawke compares very favorable to the Kahles 1-6, which is one of the best LPVOs on the market, but is only a third of the price. I bought mine for about $500 on eBay, but some of the Hide vendors might be able to match that price.

If I was buying another LPVO, it would be the Hawke.

Considering your budget, and range and weight requirements, I don't see why you need anything more than a Steiner P4Xi. Spend the rest elsewhere.
I have the Vudu, if you don't mind the non-locking turrets and a reticle that is not daylight bright (in bright daylight), that is a great option for you as well, for double the money of the PX4i.
I also have the Kahles K16i, and IMO, that is the king of the 1-6x right now if you want to get crazy and just buy once and cry once.

Reactions: stilesg57
If you don’t care about daylight bright illumination (and I think you should given your professed uses) and are inflexible on a 6x top end and sub 20oz, I’d get a Burris RT-6 for like $350 and save the money.

Now I’m going to try to talk you out of that :)

I am also a fan of magnification and roll my eyes every time I hear “all I need is 10x to shoot past a thousand...” We’ll good for them but I want 30x that far, ha.

So when I ordered both the RT-6 and the Steiner I fully expected to give each a good look and then send the $100 more expensive and 2x less Steiner packing.

The opposite happened. The glass and eye box (and associated fishbowl) were SOOOO much better on the P4xi it totally made up for the 2x fewer mag. Really. It’s also 1.5oz lighter (16.7 vs 18.2 on my scale) and once I got to use it up close at speed I realized the genius of a daylight bright reticle — it’s a red dot with mag on tap.

I don’t think there’s enough benefit to upgrade from the Steiner until you go all the way to the Razor 1-6 lite (21.5oz) or the XTRII 1-8 (24.5oz). I’d say save your money and enjoy the Steiner because you won’t miss the mag as much as you’ll miss the clarity...until you decide to spend $1k+ on these things.

I went with the US Optics 1x6 SVS, because I already had a 34mm mount, which may or may not be a good reason to choose a scope. It's a close to 1x as I've found.

Reactions: Havoc_1_Actual
Hi all,

I'm looking for a 1-6 LPVO and want to get the group thoughts. First, my platform:
2. Receiver is an Ascend Armory with Superlative Arms GB, light wt. BGC, JP Silent Capture Spring
4. I will do some at close range so rapid target acquisition is good. I don't need daylight bright illumination

I have looked at Vortex PST gen II but it is a bit larger/heavier. I also considered Steiner 1-4X but want that extra mag due to my old eyes. I see that both Crimson Trace and USO have new scopes out (TS1 and Series 3) that are both FFP. Any experience with these newer scopes.

Hope that all the info that is needed. I read the guide and try to put down as much as I could.

Nice gas block choice. I had the Vortex strike eagle 1-8 and it was a nice scope for what it was. the Viper PST as Rob01 mentioned is a great choice. If you want to stretch.. the Razor GenII-E is 21oz and you can probably get one new for a little over 1,00 if you know the right people.

I don’t think there’s enough benefit to upgrade from the Steiner until you go all the way to the Razor 1-6 lite (21.5oz) or the XTRII 1-8 (24.5oz). I’d say save your money and enjoy the Steiner because you won’t miss the mag as much as you’ll miss the clarity...until you decide to spend $1k+ on these things.

hes-right-you-know.jpg

Reactions: K1978
Going to play the devils advocate opposite of the nice glass crowd but sports optics has an RT6 for 300 right now... just saying. A penny saved is a penny earned.

I dont do any serious LPV shooting, just plinking around for some change of pace every now and again but I really dont see the need to spend big money on optics of this mag range for anything other than durability purposes so they dont break when you roll out and catch a door frame or having to deal with getting tossed about. I wouldnt take the rt6 to afganistan but I have zero issues with using it for fun.

Edit: shit, they had them in stock on friday, gone now. Looks like optics planet gets it to 307 with code BLSCP12

Last edited:
I believe I seent it on here, that there will be more things released at NRA Show this year. Maybe some nice optics coming out, and even if the ones that come out are out of your budget.. new products usually drop prices on older product SKU's ( like what's happening to the Razor)

Going to play the devils advocate opposite of the nice glass crowd but sports optics has an RT6 for 300 right now... just saying. A penny saved is a penny earned.

Edit: shit, they had them in stock on friday, gone now. Looks like optics planet gets it to 307 with code BLSCP12

Yeah honestly I can’t argue with that. At ~$300 the OP should get the RT6 and save the cash. Maybe one day you go for the big upgrade, maybe you don’t, either way the RT6 is solid (if not perfect) for anything you’d do on a one-way range.

I kept the Steiner even though I wanted more mag and I paid $470 for it, but even I can’t argue that for plinking purposes it’s definitively 60% better than the Burris. It WAS to me, but if I didn’t care about illume and prioritized the extra mag over eyebox and clarity it might not, so it’s not absolute.

Here are the weights btw because I am an ounce nazi when it comes to my 3gun rifle. Shown with an Aero ultralight mount along with a red dot + PA 6x magnifier and flip mount for comparison (my previous rig; a little awkward with the magnifier disengaged and that off-axis weight hanging off the right side of the rifle):

Attachments

• 56DC36D1-309D-469F-A685-72DC95D8EDA7.jpeg
    56DC36D1-309D-469F-A685-72DC95D8EDA7.jpeg
    389.1 KB · Views: 130
  • C7519018-0716-4F00-B1E0-D56A5348F16B.jpeg
    C7519018-0716-4F00-B1E0-D56A5348F16B.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 1ADBD4FE-0C30-4352-8048-DDE987957D6A.jpeg
    1ADBD4FE-0C30-4352-8048-DDE987957D6A.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 417CDCA7-BEF4-46AA-B6A5-A40BDD98792B.jpeg
    417CDCA7-BEF4-46AA-B6A5-A40BDD98792B.jpeg
    628.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 302847C2-3737-4136-8F91-7E2A1FD897E2.jpeg
    302847C2-3737-4136-8F91-7E2A1FD897E2.jpeg
    467.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I went with the US Optics 1x6 SVS, because I already had a 34mm mount, which may or may not be a good reason to choose a scope. It's a close to 1x as I've found.
How do you like it? I’m also looking for a good 1-6 to top off my BCM 16” and have been eyeballing the TS 1-6 since SHOT. Just wondering if anyone has had some time with them and how they compare to the SVS. Obviously there are differences, just curious how they compare.

Last edited:

I have the 1-8x SR8. It's a dual focal plane setup with a ring and "dot" at low mag and it opens up to a small tree at higher mag. Truly the best of both worlds. I put it on a Grendel SBR and I expect it to do good things. There's an SR8 and an SR6 in the PX on here and they're in your range.

They may weigh a bit more than others, but everyone knows USO scopes double as field hammers in a pinch. It's a quality scope that can take a serious beating. I can't remember now if mine is 30mm or 34mm? It'd hardly matter. Not sure about this particular one, but USO would custom build you a scope and tube size was one of the options.

For a rifle at the ranges you're talking about, an ACOG is about the best there is IMO/E. Cheaper on Ebay, lifetime warranty.

Vortex pst ii 1-6 or save a couple hundred more for razor gen ii 1-6. Excellent glass and warranty

Any one has any experience with the Leupold VX-5HD. It is only 5X but so light. I know the reticle is not the best.

Hi all,

Athlon Midas BTR 1-6x24mm with the ATSR1 reticle is available from @gr8fuldoug over at https://cameralandny.com/ for the best price on the market. Ran this optic in a match this past weekend and was stunned at the performance.

No, that is a now discontinued Bushy Tac Elite 1×6.5 -- I frankly love this scope. It's been wonderful. It can still be had. I've seen as low as $675. It checks all your requirements. It was about $1650 when first released.
Soulezoo - is that the Razor?

ETA on the Bushy:
It wasn't until I got behind a short dot or Kahles that I found something better overall than the Bushy. It's right there with the Razor II without the weight. And a better (for me) reticle. I think this weighs about 18 oz.. not sure.
I've run it pretty hard (it sits in a Larue mount btw) and have never had to touch the turrets since I first zeroed the scope about 6 years ago. The BDC ret is very, very close with my 77 gr handloads at 500-600 yards and dead on 400 yards in. This is on a Noveske Reece 1st gen.

18oz? Wow, I’d always dismissed that scope out of hand because posted weights online were at or above the heavy Razors. Weird. Now I’m feeling like I missed something...

Is the eye box on par with the legendarily forgiving Razor?