• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Recommendation for 1911 parts

ghostrider272

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2020
North of here
Looking for a recommendation for 1911 frame parts. I see that Ed Brown and Stealth Arms manufactures parts. Recommendations between the two?

I’ve been working on a build and have been really happy with Wilson’s bulletproof parts. The concealment grip safety was easy to fit with their jig and the thumb safety and mag catch only needed minor fitting. Slide stop was straight drop in and came notched for easy reassembly from the factory.

9F93E83B-7765-481F-BD39-239AA2B9313C.jpeg

I have been building and restoring 1911s since I was a kid. Here is a basic list of what I currently think are the best parts. By best I generally mean a combination of the best looking, most tunable/ergonomic, and easiest to fit--

FCG (sear, disco, hammer) - Harrison custom. At this point, just buy the kit. Years ago it was necessary to fit each part, but now frames are so in spec that you will get a better result with their kit. I have worked with some of the best known smiths out there, and they generally use these high spec drop in parts.

Trigger - Harrison custom or Wilson. Harrison is really nice because the overtravel stop is blind and can't wiggle free, but Wilson has adjustable pre travel and can fit in some frames that bind the disco a bit with the Harrison part. I keep both around, and use the Harrison when I can.

Thumb safety - C&S is the best thumb safety for ergos. The finishing is not great on it, and you can't ever seem to get it to be perfect looks wise. The blend on the bottom edge is great, though. Wilson safeties are nearly as nice, but blend best with the Wilson tang cut. Ed Brown safeties are good too.

Beavertail - Wilson and Brown are two different radiuses. I don't like the Wilson radius. With a Brown radius I think the new Stan Chen Beavertail is amazing. Otherwise EGW is really good. If you have a Springfield sometimes you need to use a different radius because of the short tang. Then you are stuck with S&A.

Slide stop - 10-8 or Ed Brown or Harrison

Extractor - Wilson or the newer C&S

Barrel - Kart

Most everything else is fine stock. Any of the above brands are good for any part, if you prefer the way that part looks/feels.

Reactions: SierraCJ5
Most 1911 frames and slides are really good these days, which means the small parts don't need sooooo much excess material as they did before. And the small parts from good companies are generally machined from barstock. It is hard to go wrong sticking to established names. Is the Chen beavertail slightly higher riding than Brown? Yes, but they are both so good it is moot. The real thing is to find what feels ergonomic to you and go with that. The biggest deals are the thumb and grip safety, and of course the trigger.

Check out Clark Custom springs. They split the disconnecter and sear spring; you can really dial in a low weight pull and not worry about doubling. I shoot a Nelson conversion in.22lr, and run a pull right at 2lbs. I can easily get it lower, but I don't shoot the lower pull as well. I run about 2.5lbs on all my CF 1911s (except when playing games that require heavier, like NRA Bullseye).

ETA: I also really like the Harrison trigger design. Amazing feel and consistency

Second EGW ignition kit. The is a reason Atlas uses them they are awesome for the price.

I really like Caspian for a lot of small parts.