• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendation for a 20” barrel for a precision build?

SilencedShooter11B

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2013
Lexington, SC
I’ve currently got a 16” Rainier Ultramatch Mod 2 in my rifle and it’s serving me well, however, I’d like to get a slightly longer barrel for the type of matches I’m shooting in, velocity increase, etc

I like the look of two that I’ve found:

1.Rainier Arms UltraMatch Mod2 SDM. 20”, Rifle gas, 1:7.5, 223 Wylde chamber, fluted, 1/2x28 threads

2. Criterion 20”, fluted, 223 Wylde chamber, 1:8 twist, rifle gas, 1/2x28 threads

(it’s about $50 cheaper at Brownells)

I’ve had great results with Rainier’s Ultramatch series, from when they were Shilen blanks up until now. I think I’m on my fifth one. However, I’m always open to new possibilities and this’ll be my first 20” barrel (excluding my Issued M16A4 from back in the day) filling this type of role.

Any comments on the two listed above or any other suggestions in the $350 ballpark? A tad more (or less) is fine, but I’m not ready for a $600 stick yet.

1/2x28 threads are a requirement, 20” was just a starting point; I’d be okay with 22” (maybe 24” but I don’t know where diminishing returns begin). I like the fluted options for the reduction in weight but not an absolute “have to have” criteria.

Current setup:

GdcMJaX.jpg

Thanks for the help in advance

Or

I’ve definitely heard great things about Proof. I think most of the ammo tests I’ve seen conducted by Molon have been done with a 20” Lothar Walther barrel and its hard to argue with the results

Thanks for the two suggestions

Reactions: JS8588
I’ve definitely heard great things about Proof. I think most of the ammo tests I’ve seen conducted by Molon have been done with a 20” Lothar Walther barrel and its hard to argue with the results

Thanks for the two suggestions

I own neither but I've yet to see a Proof or LW that doesn't shoot. I'm building on 2 LW barrels at the moment so, you know where my $ went.

Reactions: SilencedShooter11B
Proof offers a pretty good mil discount if you are eligible as well. I've been contemplating one of them but need another AR like another testicle.

Compass Lake Engineering (I believe CLE spun up original SAM-R barrels for USMC)
White Oak Armory
Keystone Accuracy

No Proof barrels here, but Rock Creek, Bartlein or Criterion from Craddock will be fine; WOA; Compass Lake can do Criterion, Bartlein, Douglas or Kreiger. You can also buy Criterion direct form them too.

Take your choice, pay your money.

All listed are very good....................WOA is probably the best buy, $$$$ wise.

MM

I used Precision Rifle Blog and “what the pros use” to get an idea of what I wanted for my build. This image is theirs but gives you an idea.

Attachments

• 9F883E44-34CA-4A10-9C73-ED9481172F2A.png
    9F883E44-34CA-4A10-9C73-ED9481172F2A.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 285
Not sure without more info, but I'm gonna bet that the Proof barrels in that chart are their carbon wrapped versions, not the plain jane SS.

MM

Reactions: edub1309
Not sure without more info, but I'm gonna bet that the Proof barrels in that chart are their carbon wrapped versions, not the plain jane SS.

MM
From what I’ve read and heard from others it’s actually their ss barells. Pro shooters typically eschew carbon wrapped barrels for a variety of reasons.

MM
100% stainless steel. From the same site. See photo and link below.

Attachments

• 1C1236EF-4CBD-45CE-9B6B-B6E6B6A174A1.png
    1C1236EF-4CBD-45CE-9B6B-B6E6B6A174A1.png
    1 MB · Views: 96
That’s not to say carbon wrapped barrels are bad or anything like that. Depends on application. If I was building an ultralight for hunting or packing I’d go cf. But for target or match steel seems to be the way to go.

Reactions: RTH1800
100% stainless steel. From the same site. See photo and link below.

OK, thanks for the info.....................very good to know.

Who are you sourcing the Proof barrels from?

MM

Last edited:
I can’t swing the $ for the CF wrapped one. It’s almost twice what I had sort of set as my “budget”.

My only issue with the Stainless Proof barrel is that it’s roughly a full pound heavier than the Criterion/RA/etc options. The type of precision matches I shoot in aren’t from static positions; the max distance I’m shooting is 800yds but there’s offhand/standing/unsupported/whatever the match director comes up with type of shooting. I’m wondering if a 3lb 3oz Barrel is a little too much and that a substitute, but still good quality, option might be better for me

I’m able to get the Proof barrel at a discount but there’s a 2-3 month lead time on it. I don’t “need” it til next January so I’ve got a little time to decide

I can’t swing the $ for the CF wrapped one. It’s almost twice what I had sort of set as my “budget”.

My only issue with the Stainless Proof barrel is that it’s roughly a full pound heavier than the Criterion/RA/etc options. The type of precision matches I shoot in aren’t from static positions; the max distance I’m shooting is 800yds but there’s offhand/standing/unsupported/whatever the match director comes up with type of shooting. I’m wondering if a 3lb 3oz Barrel is a little too much and that a substitute, but still good quality, option might be better for me

I’m able to get the Proof barrel at a discount but there’s a 2-3 month lead time on it. I don’t “need” it til next January so I’ve got a little time to decide
Seems like the PRS style matches are similar in that there are a lot of different positions, obstacles, etc., and everybody still prefers the heavier barrels. In fact, heavier rifles in general. Picked up an MDT chassis yesterday and was blown away by the weight. If it’s a concern I’d get the best you can afford even if it’s ss, and shed weight elsewhere. Lighter chassis, scope, etc. Ounces certainly add up quick!

Yeah, seem like all their profiles in all lengths are heavy, & that's why I've tended to stay mainly with Rock Creek or Criterion barrels from Craddock. I really don't want any 3+ pound 18" SPR barrels either.

MM

Seems like the PRS style matches are similar in that there are a lot of different positions, obstacles, etc., and everybody still prefers the heavier barrels. In fact, heavier rifles in general. Picked up an MDT chassis yesterday and was blown away by the weight. If it’s a concern I’d get the best you can afford even if it’s ss, and shed weight elsewhere. Lighter chassis, scope, etc. Ounces certainly add up quick!

My 20” 224 Valkyrie barrel is the same weight as the Proof and I’ve been hanging a 15oz can off of the thing :ROFLMAO: and I managed just fine with that. I’ve really got tunnel vision with this project

A 20” SS Proof with my Optimus Micro would be a lighter weight combo. I think it’ll work. And if I feel like it’s too heavy, I can always get a different barrel

It’s been my experience that if you shed weight elsewhere on the gun you can get a heavier barrel and have good handling. Mostly that means the rail and the stuff on it and your muzzle device have to be light.

Yeah, but it's still really hard to get enough other stuff either off or lightened enough to make up for a 3.5 lb barrel.
It’s been my experience that if you shed weight elsewhere on the gun you can get a heavier barrel and have good handling. Mostly that means the rail and the stuff on it and your muzzle device have to be light.

Hard to shed enough weight elsewhere to compensate for 8-12 oz of excess barrel weight.....................just sayin'.

MM

Yeah, but it's still really hard to get enough other stuff either off or lightened enough to make up for a 3.5 lb barrel.

Hard to shed enough weight elsewhere to compensate for 8-12 oz of excess barrel weight.....................just sayin'.

MM

And simultaneously keeping the rifle even remotely balanced in terms of weight distribution

Running a F1 skeletonized AR isn’t in the cards :sick: