• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendation for a set of binoculars

RossinFL

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2004
FL
I went to my local long distance precision range this past weekend for the first time. I had a great time but wow, also have a lot to learn. It became clear very quickly that my spotting scope was not going to cut it (Coleman 20-60x). I am leaning toward a set of binoculars and want to shoot 600 to 1000 yards with my 308 (but would do a spotting scope if it made sense). I realize that good glass is expensive but would like to keep this budget friendly (around $600 but could do up to $1000). Would the bushnell Forge 15x model be good? If not what do you recommend? Am I on the right path by going binoculars over a spotting scope? Also I do have a kestrel 5700 so also thought about the sig 3000 bdx. Combining the binocuoar with the lrf seems like a good idea but it would stink if the lrf broke. As of right now I use a separate but low end bushnell lrf.

If you're only going with one, then yes, binos over spotting scope. The Forge 15x is an excellent value for the dollar, and I don't think you can go wrong by starting there, esp if you can pick up a used pair. Then you can sell them for basically what you paid if you end up wanting to step up, or to change magnification.

This thread (among many others, and I just saw another I can't find right now) has a lot of relevant discussion, read through:

ETA: I neglected to address your bino/RF combo question. I'd say that since you're on a budget and your main focus is competition, stick with your PLRF and get some decent binos. As long as you can get a stable platform for the PLRF (ideally a solid tripod mount) so you can be sure of your ranging reads, there's nothing wrong with that to get started with. Any reputable PLRF will be good enough for centerfire competition, especially when you're just getting started, and the main reasons to go with a combo setup in my mind are either cutting weight/bulk for hunting applications or simplifying co-witness when ranging targets. However, there's a pretty sizeable price jump when combining good glass with LRF capabilities, and I don't think it can be done well under $1k. The Sig 3000 BDX are perfectly fine for your purpose, but since you already have a LRF, I'd probably skip them in your case and just get the Forge. If you were gonna be hunting with the setup, especially in the West, I'd say sell your LRF and get the Sig 3000 BDX or really bump up into upper glass, but since it sounds like you're primarily competition-focused, your Forge 15x plan is rock solid. 15x is too much magnification for a do-it-all set of hunting binos, but again, for pure comp, lots of folks prefer the 15x.

Last edited:
I use Forge 15x spotting at comps to 1200yds or so. I can spot trace/see impacts. Budget friendly. Good to go for all the reasons stated above.

I agree with above but my Sig 3000 are very clear edge to edge, in low light and the RF and link to Kestrel is awesome. But again. If mainly spotting with them, the above advice is great.

I use Sig 3K. I've had several request to look through mine at matches and reply they are very clear. I agree, too. Spotting tiny 6mm or smaller bullets in heavy mirage at 1K can be tricky. But, by and large, they are great.

As far as "...if the LRF broke..." Sig has a great (read awesome) warranty. For example, about 6 months ago, the wind caught my tripod with my Sig 3K mounted on top. As a result, the right glass got chipped. I emailed Sig and explained what happened. They emailed me a UPS label. Less than 7 business days later, they were back in my hands. No charges, at all. They paid shipping to and from and replaced the broken glass. Even gave them a, well deserved, cleaning.

If you're only going with one, then yes, binos over spotting scope. The Forge 15x is an excellent value for the dollar, and I don't think you can go wrong by starting there, esp if you can pick up a used pair. Then you can sell them for basically what you paid if you end up wanting to step up, or to change magnification.

This thread (among many others, and I just saw another I can't find right now) has a lot of relevant discussion, read through:

ETA: I neglected to address your bino/RF combo question. I'd say that since you're on a budget and your main focus is competition, stick with your PLRF and get some decent binos. As long as you can get a stable platform for the PLRF (ideally a solid tripod mount) so you can be sure of your ranging reads, there's nothing wrong with that to get started with. Any reputable PLRF will be good enough for centerfire competition, especially when you're just getting started, and the main reasons to go with a combo setup in my mind are either cutting weight/bulk for hunting applications or simplifying co-witness when ranging targets. However, there's a pretty sizeable price jump when combining good glass with LRF capabilities, and I don't think it can be done well under $1k. The Sig 3000 BDX are perfectly fine for your purpose, but since you already have a LRF, I'd probably skip them in your case and just get the Forge. If you were gonna be hunting with the setup, especially in the West, I'd say sell your LRF and get the Sig 3000 BDX or really bump up into upper glass, but since it sounds like you're primarily competition-focused, your Forge 15x plan is rock solid. 15x is too much magnification for a do-it-all set of hunting binos, but again, for pure comp, lots of folks prefer the 15x.
Thank you for the excellent post. At this point, my goal is not so much PRS but more so just beginning to learn how to put everything together to be able to reliably make hits at that distance. PRS could come down the road. I will definitely not be using the binoculars for hunting. These would only be for range use. I already have a solid tripod and ball head. Bushnell currently has a sale where you can get 10% off for new customers and some sort of range bag when buying the Forge 15x binoculars. Seems like a pretty good deal.

Thank you very much for everyone's input. It is very helpful.

Those of you that shoot at the range with a buddy, do you tend to have a spotter with the binoculars and yourself at the shooting position? If so it seems like having a separate LRF (not integrated into the binoculars) for use at the shooting position makes sense. Am I on the right track? I could see how having the integrated unit binoculars/LRF would make a lot of sense if hunting.

Guys thanks for all the advice. Just wanted to provide an update. I wound up buying a set of the bushnell 15x binoculars. They should be much better than what I have and the price wasn't to bad with 10% off.