• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendation for a stock

Darkamek

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2021
Wisconsin
Currently I have a MPA professional Matrix stock that I’m looking to get rid of as it doesn’t fit my needs at all. It’s big for my small hands and heavy. Im using it with an American Rifle Company Archimedes and a Bartlien Heavy Varmint barrel cut down to 18” in 6.5 creedmoor. I do not use this stock for its intended purpose and realized that I built this gun a lot heavier than I wanted it to be. I’m hoping I’m not going to have to get the barrel turned down. Really I will only use this gun for hunting and shooting at the range.

Could someone help recommend me a lighter weight stock that I can have a vertical grip or one that uses AR grips.

The XLR Element sound like it will fit the bill. The aluminum version will be good for you. Not a full comp chassis but retains a lot of the features.

Yeah I don’t necessarily need a comp chassis by any means. But I went deer hunting this weekend and it was fun lugging it through the woods. Don’t get me wrong it holds pretty darn steady when I’m aiming.

I would like this stock to offset the cost of the new one. So probably $1,100 or so for a budget.

You're in the realm of a Manners, which are my favorite by a fair margin. But then, I far prefer stocks over chassis. If you go with one of Manners' carbon stocks, it would be light-weight enough for carrying around.

Or, you could stick with the MPA Hybrid. For 1100 you have lots of options, plus I am pretty sure you could find a buyer for your Matrix. Heck, you might could even venture into an HS Precision if the barrel channel was open enough.

I’m a chassis man, but for hunting, a rifle that will balance with a good stock is my preference. Good Luck.

I know this is a stock thread and I recommend and use manner carbon fiber… but

That’s a lot of barrel. I chose the #4 over the HV just because of the weight. The #4 holds pretty solid for 10 shot strings although I don’t know how much further it can be pushed.

I’d have to look it up again but I think there’s a sold 2 pounds difference between the two barrels.

A couple thoughts:
1) I find wood, fiberglass, carbon fiber more comfortable to hold onto when it's cold outside. This rules out most chassis. I even put carbon fiber stocks and forearms on my hunting ar's.

2) I just went through this myself, and I chose a Manners Pro Hunter. It is very close weight wise to the hnt-26.

3) I would get a lighter profile barrel, but I would think losing 4 pounds by switching stocks would make a huge difference.

For stocks with a close grip to trigger distance that are also decent to carry around:

Kmw Sentinel
Mcmillan A10/U10
Foundation Revelation

I'm not sure why people keep mentioning Manners. Its grip to trigger distance is pretty awful for smaller hands. Not sure why they haven't remedied that yet.

For chassis:

MDT Hnt26
XLR Element

Then there's countless chassis that weigh less than a comp chassis but more than lightweight and have a close grip to trigger distance because of the A2 grip.

I don't have huge hands, but I don't wrap my hand around the grip. The grip to trigger distance means nothing to me.