• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors recommendation for rimfire supressor?

WCW308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2008
Central Idaho
opinions on brands, etc. ? I'd like to use on .22lr & 22wmr bolt guns- both are threaded 1/2X28. I use my 556 SAS can occasionally on them. Maybe someone knows of an earlier post on this subject...while I'm asking, will a dedicated .22 rimfire suppessor be more quiet than the 556 can? I shoot SK subsonic 22lr & while it is quiet, I have read descriptions of cans with -hearing a click of firing pin(bolt), no bang, bullet impact.
True? thanx.

Re: recommendation for rimfire supressor?

The AAC element is pretty sweet! But, I'm pretty excited to see SureFire's new 22lr can, its just over 2oz!!

Its true but there is more to the story.

There are five sources of noise to suppress:

1. The muzzle blast
2. The sonic signature of supersonic flight
3. Any noise that the action of the weapon makes
4. Any noise the operator makes
5. Impact noise at the projectiles termination

When you hear people speak of weapons that allow one to hear the trigger break, that is a very special type of suppressed weapon.
It has:

1. Great blast suppression
2. Subsonic traveling bullets
3. No action noise at all.
4. A knowledgeable operator
5. A soft or distant target.

It is #2 that you will have to concentrate on (#1 is taken for granted, a great blast can) and that only comes about by:

1. Shooting subsonic bullets.
2. Tapping gas within a "integral" suppressor.

As I do not like subsonic ammunition, it is expensive, filthy, a majority inaccurate and not commonly available, I would recommend an "integral" suppressed rifle. They are by-and-large, the quiestest suppressed weapons in the world as good ones are "tuned" to a specific supersonic round. That supersonic round's velocity is dropped to allow for maximum subsonic velocity and therefor power. Well designed integrals also put the barrel under compression, greatly improving accuracy.

As to brands, well there are a number of them. I have had a good number of them. Just know this, if you buy an integral .22 barrel it must be a "bull barrel" diameter. In other words a larger diameter than traditional barrels. Why? I have heard all the normal diameter barrels, not one is worth a piss in comparision. They rely on multiple bleed points when one, perfectly tuned hole is all that is necessary. That single port must have a gas jet chase to the top of the baffel stack to precharge the suppressor to really work well.

I'll let others drop brand names. Good luck.

If you plan to shoot more than 1 rimfire gun, or plan to ever shoot any type of ammunition that your integral isnt tuned for (more than likely non-plated ammo), then integrals are a waste of time.

Buy a dedicated 22lr can, and be done with it.

By and large, stainless steel is mandatory, as well as ease of disassembly.

Look at the features of each, the price point, and reviews.

I'll name drop, and say a SilencerCo Sparrow.

thanks , alot of knowledge on SH for the ask.

maybe naming the best can is not the best idea on a forum.
like asking who the best gunsmith is...

I'm curiou$ if a rimfire can is worth the stamp, time & $ vs a 556 (although the 556 is heavy).

I have neighbors & like to shoot nearby, hence the can.

I have heard a 17 HMR with a .223 can and was VERY impressed, I plan to use mine on a pistol as well, and that defiantly rules out using a 556 can.

I went with the new Stainless SilencerCo Sparrow, cant wait for it to show.

I am digging Innovative Arms cans.

There .22lr can called an APEX is very quiet and somehow manages to run pretty clean. Would never call a 22 can self cleaning but the damn things run much cleaner than my tac 65. BTW, I hate I have wasted a $200 tax stamp on my tac65. The K-baffles are an absolute bitch to keep the crud off. I have decided to never clean it again and just use it on my 22's that don't see as much use.

I have a silencerco sparrow and it is dead on. I do not have the SS version but mine is VERY light and pretty quiet. I've heard the SS version and I thought it was quieter.

I am getting a new .22 savage soon so I will be able to take the can out past 25 yards (I had it on a pistol) and see if it will hold groups there.

Whatever you do don't cheap out. It's hard to move used cans IMHO.

SilencerCo Sparrow SS. details from their Sight. I have one great. 22lr, 22wm, 17hmr. the 17 is a bolt gun very quiet, you can also run it wet using wire pulling jell. helps drop db by 4-6 for 1-5 rounds. easy to clean. takes around 15-20 minutes every 500 or so rounds.

.22 lr

Additional Calibers
.17 hmr
.22 mag
.22 wmr
5.7×28 FN

Multi Caliber Use
The stainless steel 22Sparrow is rated and warrantied for use with all rimfire rounds, .22 diam and under such as .17 hmr and .22 mag. It is also rated for use with the 5.7×28 FN round.

Full Auto Use
The 22Sparrow is rated for full auto .22 lr machine guns.
Weight
6.5 oz
Diameter
1.062"
Length
5.08"
Sound reduction
41dB*
* tested with Walther P22, CCI Standard Velocity, 70 degrees, 5100' elevation.
Material
Alloy Steel
Heat Treated 17-4 PH Stainless Steel
Finish
Black Oxide
Magnesium Phosphate (Outer Tube)
Mount
½×28 threads
MSRP
$499
Thread Options
Don't engage o-ring
Thread should be standard .5×28tpi Class 3A threads with a length of .400"

Engage o-ring
Our innovative Sparrow O-ring engagement offers the additional advantage of keeping the muzzle threads of the host weapon clean and the suppressor is held secure with an o-ring placed inside the female threads to which the host weapon would thread. Silencerco offers custom adapters for the Walther P-22, The Sig Mosquito, the GSG 1911/22 to take advantage of the o-ring engagement. Note: The 22Sparrow will thread on any standard .5×28 threads and any other silencer threaded in .5×28 will thread on our adapters. Minimum overall thread and o-ring engagement is .476".

I'm extremely happy with and recommend the SWR Spectre. It was recommended by David at Shark Suppressors. Works very well with my Nordic Components .22 upper as well as my Ruger 22/45 with paclite upper. hope to get the Ruger 77/17 threaded and run it on there as well. At $400 it's a good deal.

SP

If you want one can to use on many hosts pick one of the three below:

AAC Element
Silencerco sparrow
SWR spectre

If you want the absolute best sound suppression but be limited to using one gun then get a good integral can like Rollingthunder said.

I have a silencerco sparrow and I use it on a CZ 452, Ruger Mark III with a pac lite upper, and a 10/22. I have been very pleased with it and I especially like how easy it is to break down and clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1garand30064</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want one can to use on many hosts pick one of the three below:

AAC Element
Silencerco sparrow
SWR spectre

If you want the absolute best sound suppression but be limited to using one gun then get a good integral can like Rollingthunder said.

I have a silencerco sparrow and I use it on a CZ 452, Ruger Mark III with a pac lite upper, and a 10/22. I have been very pleased with it and I especially like how easy it is to break down and clean. </div></div>

I agree, any one of these three mentioned above, you would be extremely happy with, especially if you intend to run it on different hosts.

I have both an SWR Spectre and a Silencerco SS Sparrow.
Yes, the SS Sparrow is a little more user friendly when it comes to disassembly and cleaning, but it has an almost 10 db louder FRP (10 db = approx 2X louder) on pistols compared to the SWR Spectre. The Sparrow meters extremely well on the rifle though. Click here for Silencerco test: Silencerco

I shot the Sparrow and Spectre side-by-side. The Sparrow on my Ruger Mk III 22/45(new 4" threaded model) and the Spectre was on my Ruger Mk II with 6" TAC-SOL Pac-Lite upper. The Sparrow had a noticeably louder FRP than my Spectre using CCI STD velocity. Haven't had the opportunity to compare them on my rifles yet. To my ears, the Sparrow has a slightly higher pitch and a less muted tone compared to my Spectre.

Now that I own both, I am a little more partial to the Spectre for various reasons, aesthetics, sound suppression, knurled end cap etc...

I may just dedicate the Sparrow to my Sig 522.

here is the other video of them comparing the Sparrow to othe suppressors: Silencerco comparison

I have an AAC Element that I am very happy with. Easy to take apart to clean. If you get the baffle removal tool you can go 1000rds between cleaning. Its pretty quiet too. They say 41db reduction. All I know is I can shoot without earplugs all day.

Im surprised no one mentioned the Thunderbeast. I really want to hear one of them, Im disappointed with my YHM SS Mite, especially disappointed because Ill put my 7.62 phantom and 338 Phantom up against almost anything for noise reduction and flash hiding.

All that aside, the Tbac looks very impressive at only 4.x oz and magnum rated. I would go with the long no matter what since it is only a few tenths heavier and should do a better job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im surprised no one mentioned the Thunderbeast. All that aside, the Tbac looks very impressive at only 4.x oz and magnum rated. I would go with the long no matter what since it is only a few tenths heavier and should do a better job. </div></div>

The TBAC kicks ass! I have the long and I really like it. I have shot the short a fair amount and it was nice as well but my long was just a little quieter without much increase in size or weight.

Don't forget the Liberty .22 suppressors. My next one will be their Kodiak TL. It's supposed to be on par with the SWR Spectre which I already have and it's awesome.

I can't speak about the Sparrow but my Spectre has very little to ZERO first round pop. I only shoot CCI Standard 40gr solids and Aguilla Subsonic 40gr solids. The Aguilla has no FRP and is amazingly quiet but real dirty. The CCI is just a little louder, cleaner and more consistently accurate.

And I have a Tactical Innovations Quest that has horrible FRP. I never shoot it any more.

A .22 is fairly easy to suppress, they just don't have much gas to catch. I went with a cheap Tactical Innovations Stratus. It is a little harder to take apart and clean but it is very light and its as quiet or quieter than cans that cost twice as much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gun_Crazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try this
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2583586&gonew=1#UNREAD
good deal
</div></div>

That is a good price on the Thunderbeast .22 cans, even more so because they are titanium. Can you take them apart for cleaning like you can the Spectre, Sparrow and Element?

wow, that's a lot of info! Thanks SH shooters. OK, wire pulling gel. I know what it is, never used it for intended purpose or in can, any details? I will say , my rem 541T with SAS can and SK hp
22lr is pretty darn accurate. Darn heavy, tho. Drilled a crow at 110 yds - held 3" high & bingo.

Went for The Silencerco Sparrow - at my FFL's-got to look at it, anyway and paperwork is being processed. I have learned not be be in a hurry with cans. Impressive looking can, again, thanx for the education earlier from those who know more about these things and took the time to reply.

I have a ruger 22 pistol with a threaded barrel and really wanted to get a can for it and this thread has really helped!cant wait to see how different it is. I also want to get a savage bolt 22 rifle to help have a quiet action. any suggestions on which rifles are best?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WCW308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read descriptions of cans with -hearing a click of firing pin(bolt), no bang, bullet impact.
True? thanx.
</div></div>

No.

They can be very quiet, but not silent.

Damn Hollywood!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stacyp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm extremely happy with and recommend the SWR Spectre. It was recommended by David at Shark Suppressors. Works very well with my Nordic Components .22 upper as well as my Ruger 22/45 with paclite upper. hope to get the Ruger 77/17 threaded and run it on there as well. At $400 it's a good deal.

SP </div></div>

+1 for the Spectre. I'll also add that the SilencerCo sparrow is a good can as well.

Went with the AAC Pilot 2 Not full auto rated, but only about half the price of the Element. Small, light, take apart can. I paid $290 shipped. About as quiet as the Element when tested at www.silencerforum.com. Most all the current rimfire cans would be hard pressed to tell them apart from the sound.

I vote for the SWR Spectre also. I have one, it sees use on my Rem 40XB (silly quiet), my .22LR upper for the M-16, and my PS90 SBR.

The steel internals mean you can use agressive cleaning methods when needed that would harm alum, and it's built like a tank.

With the 40XB, shooting .22lr at steel 100yds away, the impact is at least as, if not louder then the report to the shooter.

2519045381_90fcc5fdb8_b.jpg

2512213769_d994fdd168_b.jpg

5264364605_234a3a0ce0_b.jpg

Video of 40XB shooting suppressed

Well, after my dealer got our Thunderbeast 22L-1's in on monday, I now have to recommend them heavily!

Ive heard quite a few rimfire cans, and these are by far the quietest I know of. I usually compare the Spectre sound wise to the pilots, maybe a tad quieter. The TBAC compared side by side with a pilot is very notably quieter. Its almost a moot point comparing it to any other magnum rated can though because the TBAC is less than half the weight of the Spectre, and is still magnum rated.

If youre a sucker for actually cleaning suppressors (I 100% disagree with the idea for 95% of its life) then ok, the spectre is a tear apart. The TBAC is 100% Ti though, so if you feel the need to clean, it will take "The dip" and keep on going.

Long story short, unless someone comes up with something better, I will be trading out my YHM 22 and probably getting two more TBAC 22L-1's. The thing is just scary fun on a Ruger with paclite.

Next time hes out shooting at my place we'll try to get a video comparison of what he has on hand next to the TBAC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As I do not like subsonic ammunition, it is expensive, filthy, a majority inaccurate and not commonly available,</div></div>

Give the Wolf/SK ammo a try. It will solve your concerns in many of these areas. I have had great luck with virtually all Eley ammo as well, although it is more expensive.

I have a Gem-tech outbackII D it is quiet and you can take it apart for cleaning if you want to. Around 300.00

I've had a few retrofits done by Liberty. They're products are very quiet and customer service is fantastic. I see they now have a can for 5.56 and 22 cal. It's can be taken apart for cleaning. They have a video of it being used on their website.

I use my 300 Blackout suppressor, the AAC 7.62SD on my 22. With CCI subsonic ammo it's suprisingly quiet considering it's a 30 cal suppressor, and beats buying another suppressor just for my 22.

TBAC 22L-1 is the best I have seen to date. Scary light too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WCW308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read descriptions of cans with -hearing a click of firing pin(bolt), no bang, bullet impact.
True? thanx.
</div></div>

No.

They can be very quiet, but not silent.

Damn Hollywood!</div></div>

You can hear the sear clean break on a high quality integral .22 rifle with bull barrel dimensions.

Absolutely Hollywood quiet. In fact you can hear the exact sound in "Assassins" as that film had the suppressors recorded on site.

+1 SWR Spectre. I use mine on my Walther P22, Ruger 22/45 and AR15 (SBR) with .22lr kit. I also have Tactical Innovations QUEST. It too is nice but does have a bit of a FRP unlike the Spectre.

send the pos Mite to David Saylors at Liberty...he will replace the core with one of his...night and day better !!!

I just got a Silencerco Sparrow for my P22 and Savage Mark II. Since you specifically mention bolt guns, I would recommend the Sparrow--it is VERY quiet. Scary quiet. You do hear the firing pin click, a small pop, whoosh of the bullet through air, and then the impact on the target at 100 yards (way too loud now--and I've put insulation around the bullet box to quiet it a little).

With the P22, you MUST run it wet--either a small spray bottle or wire pulling gel. Otherwise, the FRP is too loud IMO. Subsequent shots are fine, but I'm firing in the dead quiet morning in my backyard and any report is too much; the FRP makes me wince.

I have not compared it to any other suppressors, this is my first. I can tell you it's worth every penny and the 4 month wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">send the pos Mite to David Saylors at Liberty...he will replace the core with one of his...night and day better !!! </div></div>

Im not sure if all his upgrades are the same price, but for $400+ I think Id rather have a second can.

SilencerCo Sparrow SS is the only .22 can I'd buy. The size and weight is night and day over the Spectre and the element is way overpriced and kinda fugly.

upgrade price was $250 and while expensive made the Mite as quite as my Outback II...and that is much quiter than the Mite. In addition the takedown becomes much much easier and you do nut have to bust a nut with a strap wrench to take apart....
I would do it again in a heartbeat !

Great to read all the posts about 22 RF cans. Off-topic is OK & we all learn from this info...

My Silencerco Sparrow is still at my dealers. I visit with it from time to time to fondle while I wait for my BATFE person to push paper. Can looks really well made & seems to weigh as much as a pair of leather bootlaces.

In the meantime, I have acquired a Marvel .22 conversion upper - I put on my Kimber Gold Cup Match .45 ACP & also picked up a Tactical Solutions Ruger 22 barreled action, put on a Mark II- the best dam .22 pistol for the $. Both threaded from the manufacturer 1/2 X 28 & I use-yes- my 556 1.5 lb can on them while I wait for the SS Co . 22 can to transfer. Got Eotech EXPS-2 for both & I have never had so much fun shooting. 1 MOA dot - perfect. There is only the sound of the action & the bullet hitting 25 yds away. Both .22 "uppers" are scary accurate. one ragged hole groups at 25 yds. CCI Standard ammo. (from a bag).

I should mention that with 45 acp I can hit a barn at 25 yds. If it's good sized and sun is at my back.

AAC Prodigy - My first 22 lr can, so far very pleased with it.

any reviews of the SAS 22 suppressor?

fondeled one at Mile High, and it was very light and compact. Didnt get to hear it in action tho.

Regards,
DT