• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendation for Spotting Scope Tripod

bucster

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2009
New York
I have decided on a Pentax 80 ED to replace my Bushnell spotting scope. I need advice on buying the right tripod. Most of my shooting is done on a bench(70%)and prone(30%), so I don't need a tall tripod. I have looked at Ray-Vin, Sinclair, Bogen etc. only to have more questions than answers.

Re: Recommendation for Spotting Scope Tripod

AT80HD.jpg

I've mounted my Swaro AT80HD on this steel Manfrotto tripod (I think it's sold by Bogen in the U.S.). Professional quality and an incredibly smooth swiveling head. The only drawback for the backpacking hunter would be weight, though they have lighter alu models. It doesn't bother me as I only use my telescope on the shooting range.

Re: Recommendation for Spotting Scope Tripod

I use a Manfrotto/Bogen tripod. I like the ability to lower it all the way to the ground when shooting prone with no spotter with me. It's a bit pricey but it's pretty durable, it won't bend and break on you like the 40-50 dollar cheapy tripods you get at BB or Wally World.