• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendations for a 4-30x56 style scope

What scope should I get?

• Athlon

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Tract

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Delta

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Vortex

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Leupold

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Valdada

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leica

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Nightforce

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters

Good Boi

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2019
Sadly, California.
I'm looking to get a new rifle scope for a 300 PRC build.
Important features for me are:
- FFP
- MRAD turrets
- illumination
- 56mm objective lens
I get different pricing because I'm in the military so that comes into play also. I prefer not to spend ATACR or above pricing if I can avoid it (also, it avoids opening a new level of bag of worms of Nightforce vs March vs Steiner etc). I was leaning towards the Athlon for a low end and Valdada for high end.

Athlon Cronus BTR G2 UHD for $1200
Tract Toric ELR for $1440
Delta Optical Stryker HD for $1700 (Waiting to hear if they have a mil discount)
Vortex Razer G2 for $1740 (EBR-7C) / $2040 (H59)
Leupold Mark 5HD for $2015 (ill TMR) / $2032 (ill Tremor 3)
Valdada Recon G2 for $2275
Leica PRB for $2429
Nightforce ATACR $2800-$3200

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnD186
Athlon Cronus gets my vote.

Ive had my Cronus BTR APRS mil since early fall 2018. its been on top of approx 4500 rds.
tracks perfect, returns perfect & has great optics!

Used Leupold varix3 targets early 2000s then nightforce nxs2006 - 2012 then nightforce atacr 2012 - 2018.

The Cronus is an upgrade over all except atacr and to my eye ever so close to it... I like the APRS reticle better than anything ive ever had.
prefer the parallax correction over any Ive ever had.

Just my opinion

Reactions: YotaEer
I agree..

The illuminated 5.5-30×56 XTR3 is due to hit the market soon!

(Sorry brother, I know thats not what you meant, but I couldn't resist 🤣)

Yeah, but hasn't that been "soon" for a year now?
Haha!!

They keep telling us to say that 🤣

Seriously though, looking forward to the new stuff from Bushnell. Their optics have always treated me great.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I'm looking to get a new rifle scope for a 300 PRC build.
Important features for me are:
- FFP
- MRAD turrets
- illumination
- 56mm objective lens
I get different pricing because I'm in the military so that comes into play also. I prefer not to spend ATACR or above pricing if I can avoid it (also, it avoids opening a new level of bag of worms of Nightforce vs March vs Steiner etc). I was leaning towards the Athlon for a low end and Valdada for high end.

Athlon Cronus BTR G2 UHD for $1200
Tract Toric ELR for $1440
Delta Optical Stryker HD for $1700 (Waiting to hear if they have a mil discount)
Vortex Razer G2 for $1740 (EBR-7C) / $2040 (H59)
Leupold Mark 5HD for $2015 (ill TMR) / $2032 (ill Tremor 3)
Valdada Recon G2 for $2275
Leica PRB for $2429
Nightforce ATACR $2800-$3200

Not sure where that price for the Delta Stryker came from, but I just paid $1590 a few days ago.

Trijicon Tenmile 4.5-30x56 (renamed Accupower 4.5-30x56, which is what I have) would also be worth a look. MRAD, FFP, Illuminated... a really nice LOW built optic that I believe shares its design with the Cronus/Stryker.

Mine has been flawless and tracked perfectly despite suffering several bangs on barricades, and a 3ft fall from a bench onto the elevation turret while mounted to the rifle. That impact knocked the sunshade crooked into its threads but didn't affect the scope's function in any way - I used it in a 2-day match immediately afterwards, then sent it to Trijicon to have the sunshade removed/replaced (which they did for free). The scope's glass is terrific and I really like the reticle.

Edit to add: didn't notice initially that you had the NF ATACR on your list, as I was just looking at your title and desired mag range. That would be an upgrade over the Trijicon (or Delta/Cronus) for sure, but you have to decide if the extra $1k+ is worth it to you. I own both the ATACR 5-25 and the Trijicon and love both optics, but the ATACR is a bit nicer in pretty much all aspects except price.

I agree with what @Birddog6424 said though - if you already have a Bushnell XRSII then the Triji/Cronus/Delta/Tract would basically be a lateral move. The only reason IMO to change would be if you preferred a different reticle.

Last edited:

What are your thoughts on the Meopta6 5-30x56 scope?

https://www.eurooptic.com/Meopta-Opt...pe-653608.aspx

My discount comes out to $590 for it. I read they are a good bang for buck for their spotting scope.

I currently have a Bushnell Elite Tactical XRS II 4.5-30x50 on my 6.5 CM. I'm not sure where that falls with all these scope but I could put that on my 300 PRC build and get a cheaper scope to put on my 6.5 CM. I'm also curious about the Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 Mil-XT for $1720.

Should I stick with the 56mm objective category?

What are your thoughts on the Meopta6 5-30x56 scope?

https://www.eurooptic.com/Meopta-Opt...pe-653608.aspx

My discount comes out to $590 for it. I read they are a good bang for buck for their spotting scope.

I currently have a Bushnell Elite Tactical XRS II 4.5-30x50 on my 6.5 CM. I'm not sure where that falls with all these scope but I could put that on my 300 PRC build and get a cheaper scope to put on my 6.5 CM. I'm also curious about the Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 Mil-XT for $1720.

Should I stick with the 56mm objective category?

If you have an XRS II, there's no point in getting an Athlon Cronus, a Delta Stryker, a Trijicon Ten mile, or a Tract Toric.

There is nothing wrong with any of those optics,, they are all good scopes.. But the Bushnell is as good or better than any of those optics, all of them coming from pretty much the same OEM. Its a lateral move.

I would however take any of those over an NX8. If you want a good Nightforce, get the ATACR. There are better options at the NX8 price point.

Last edited:
There seems to be a pretty huge spread in your selection, you should probably narrow it down a bit.
From the ones listed, I have used a Razor G2 and a Delta Stryker HD, each for about a year.
The Razor gets a bit "milky" over 22-23x but has way better turrets than the Delta. The Delta on the other hand is much easier on the eyes to look through and has a better reticle (dlr-1), the turrets however are mushy and the parallax dial is stiff as hell.

I think you should have a look at Kahles and Schmidt & Bender too. Both can be had with the superb MSR reticle.

Oh, and do yourself a favour and scratch the IOR from your list.

Last edited:
On the cheap end: Athlon Cronus BTR

On the upper end of your selection: NF ATACR. Shopping in the px here can put the 7-35 ATACR in your price range as well if you choose to get that

The Delta on the other hand is much easier on the eyes to look through and has a better reticle (dlr-1), the turrets how ever are mushy and the parallax dial is stiff as hell.
Which generation Delta do you have?

To my knowledge there have been three distinct versions of the Stryker HD 4.5-30x. Gen 1 lacked locking turrets, Gen 2 (2019) added locking turrets/rotation indicator, and Gen 2.5 (2020) changed the parallax adjustment (also changed the scope finish to a matte hard anodized like on the Cronus BTR).

Which generation Delta do you have?

To my knowledge there have been three distinct versions of the Stryker HD 4.5-30x. Gen 1 lacked locking turrets, Gen 2 (2019) added locking turrets/rotation indicator, and Gen 2.5 (2020) changed the parallax adjustment (also changed the scope finish to a matte hard anodized like on the Cronus BTR).
I had the non locking turrets with the white logo on the side.

2nd the trijicon tenmile! Tracking is spot on, class is extremely clear. You can't go wrong with it. Love my first one (accupower) bought another (tenmile) and it's the same.

I also have the Leupold 7-35 mk 5 w/ the t3 on my norma. Great glass, I love everything about it. Especially at the mil rate. The trijicon will be had cheaper, but both are great in experience.

If you have an XRS II, there's no point in getting an Athlon Cronus, a Delta Stryker, a Trijicon Ten mile, or a Tract Toric.

There is nothing wrong with any of those optics,, they are all good scopes.. But the Bushnell is as good or better than any of those optics, all of them coming from pretty much the same OEM. Its a lateral move.

I would however take any of those over an NX8. If you want a good Nightforce, get the ATACR. There are better options at the NX8 price point.
Real talk here ^

The bushy xrs 2 can be had on sweet deals right now. That scope over any of the lower end you listed. Your mil discount puts a Leica at a pretty sweet price point. I really like mine, couple gripes with the prb reticle but the glass is spectacular and it’s very feature rich. Mk5 is obviously no slouch either. Good luck.

I had the non locking turrets with the white logo on the side.
Thanks. Sounds like the Stryker Gen 1 may have had similar turrets to the early Cronus. From what I'm seeing reported, the new locking turrets are far better. I'm looking forward to seeing how they fair tomorrow.

I own both the Tract and Cronus G1...and they are excellent. The Tract has smoother controls and locking turrets. Optically they seem the same to me until you hit 25X and then the Tract is a tiny smidge better. You would be well served by either...it's a great time we live in to get such high quality glass without the price.