• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendations for a Removable Muzzle Brake

DesertLefty

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I'm building a new 6.5x47L bolt gun and I want a muzzle brake, but it has to be removable, since some of the matches that I might shoot in don't allow brakes.

Brake effectiveness and easy removal/reattachment are the prime considerations, more so than cost or looks. Since I'm stuck in Commifornia for the foreseeable future, options to mount a can are also (sadly) not a consideration.

The rifle will have a 26-inch barrel that measures 0.88" at the muzzle, probably threaded 5/8x24 with a protective cap. The finish will be polished stainless.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Lefty

P.S. I know that there are lots of threads about "What's the best brake?", but I couldn't find them, so please don't beat me up about that. Just link me to them. Someday the Hide might get a better search engine...

Last edited:
I have a Badger Thruster brake installed on my bolt gun and I really like it. I had the gunsmith install it so that you can barely see the line between it and the barrel and is lined up perfectly. Easy and quick to take on and off by hand.

So, are those wrench flats on the top and bottom of the Badger FTE? or just styling?

Muzzle_Brake_Badger_FTE_side_brownells.jpg

Any reason for recommending the "mini" FTE over the full-size?

What do you guys think? Are big ports like this better? or smaller ones?

Thanks!

I LOVE my badger FTE (full size). It works like a champ and its easy to get on and off. The only down side is it doesn't fit onto a standard threaded barrel. The barrel has to be milled down at the end because the Badger slide over the end a bit like a sleeve before the threads engage. Its looks kinda ugly when the brake is off. Doesn't hurt anything though.

nx191h.jpg

Last edited:
Id go mini fte. The standard fte is huge for something like a 6.5x47. very easy on and off. Don't overtighten and you are good to go.

I have used the VAIS brakes for some time now and they are effective. Two nice features, they dont have to be timed, and they don't have the common "muzzle brake concussion" for bystanders like other brakes do. If you plan to put it on and take it off a lot, the brake can rotate slightly after a while as the threads and contact surfaces wear slightly. And the blast to the sides is not increased so when shooting near other people on the line, you aren't "that guy".
Just food for thought.

Guys, thanks for the input!

Since I'm not going to be taking it off that often, I decided to just go with a conventional threaded brake. Ordered a JEC Custom today. We'll see how it turns out...