• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Recommendations for AR Scope

DamnYuppie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2011
Idaho
I have a POF in 5.56 that needs an optic and I am in need of some recommendations.

Here is what I am working with:
  • Budget: Under $1,000
  • Magnification: Prefer to have something that is 1 power at the low end, would like to be able to get up to 8 if possible.
  • Application: Mostly going to be shooting steel, hogs, and varmints at under 500 yards with the majority of play and usage being well under 300 yards.

I have been looking at the Vortex 2.5-10x32 but no one has it in stock. Yes it isn't 1 power but looks like a lot of bang for the buck. Let me know what you guys think are some good options.

I eally like the 1-4x scopes. it depends on what kind of shooting you want to do. I would only go with the 2.5-10x if I was going to do mostly bench shooting or hunting OR was going to run a secondary set of offset irons or a red dot.

ive been eyeing the Vortex Viper PST in 1-4x for my AR. made easy hits with my old Millett DMS 1-4x scope at 400 yards. the PST has a much better reticle for what I want though.

ETA: SWFA has a Super Sniper 1-6x for right at $1k...

Last edited:
I have a POF in 5.56 that needs an optic and I am in need of some recommendations.

Here is what I am working with:
  • Budget: Under $1,000
  • Magnification: Prefer to have something that is 1 power at the low end, would like to be able to get up to 8 if possible.
  • Application: Mostly going to be shooting steel, hogs, and varmints at under 500 yards with the majority of play and usage being well under 300 yards.

I have been looking at the Vortex 2.5-10x32 but no one has it in stock. Yes it isn't 1 power but looks like a lot of bang for the buck. Let me know what you guys think are some good options.
Be patient and wait for a x32. They're worth it for sure. I've got one on my 300blk that I use for the exact same thing you're using your gun for. I couldn't be happier with it. I've got the 1-4 pst as well and it's nice too but for hunting I need more magnification to make better shot placement when I get out past 300 yards. There's a big difference in banging steel and shooting and animal. Go for the extra magnification.

I would say take a look at the SS 1x6 if you can get in at or near budget. I have several scopes in the 1-4 thru 1-6 range and think the Viper Razor 1-6 is the best yet; just way over your budget. But to get off the side track, I would take a 1-6 over 1-4 every time.

Yeah I was looking at the Razor's and was debating if I could throw another $400 at it, it is very tempting.

If you know your hold overs and won't be concerned with shooting much past 400-500 yards, you might love the Trijicon 1-4x24 with amber triangle. For me, the true 1x is a seamless view with crystal clear glass and a perfectly illuminated reticle. My favorite low power optic. Moving up in magnification, the PST x32 is probably the best deal going.

If you can find an swfa 1-6 used that would probably be my choice if 300yds was the max shot. I believe one of those will make it on my 300blk and the x32 pst will end up on my 223 ar since it gets stretched out further. Im a big vortex fan but damn the razor 1-6 is a friggin tank. The razor line needs to go on a diet to be used on a hunting AR imo. My hunting ar is a hair over 9#s with the 1-4 pst and it gets heavy lugging around all day so its going on a diet.

I will checkout the SWFA 1-6, I haven't heard of the Burris 1-8 so I will look into that as well.

Thanks for all the good suggestions!