• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Recommendations for Broken Screw in Saddle mount?

Limedust

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Hi All

Shot 27 rounds yesterday; take rifle out to clean and notice that 6-40 Torx screw head (Right screw, front ring) has sheared off completely (using DNZ one piece). Any ideas about extracting the shaft? I have tried super gluing the head back and slowly cranking it out, but that didn't work. No room to carve a slot in order to use flat-head screw driver; the remainder of the screw is about a mil down from the top.

Unfortunately, I don't have a drill press . . . have considered hand drilling it, but worried about the aluminum mount and threads. I know it's a long shot, but I'm hoping the combined experience here can give me some sort of magic bullet.

Related question: Any idea how a screw head like that simply pops off? Over-torqued (used recommended 25 in/lbs)? Freak accident? Can't remember doing anything remotely violent to the cased weapon.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The scope was probably too heavy for aluminum mounts. As to getting the rest of the screw out. I once had a base screws head snap off. I degreased the hole and top of the screw then applied release agent to the small amount of visible threads. I then mixed up a tiny amount of JB weld and applied it to the top of the screw and filled the hole and left a dime sized bead above the hole. I put some release agent on a torx bit and after about an hour of the JB weld curing I pressed the torx bit into it nd let it sit for 24 hours. The next day the broken part of the screw came out with the JB weld